GT vs Louisville

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
This is for someone who follows basketball a little more closely than me-Will we be much better next year?

Matters who they bring in as grad transfers. Gonna need at least one big who can play 20 min a game. Even if everything goes well, it's probably an NIT caliber squad in terms of talent and experience. Should be a way better shooting team and hopefully plays at a much faster pace. The worry is that the interior defense might be a disaster.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Matters who they bring in as grad transfers. Gonna need at least one big who can play 20 min a game. Even if everything goes well, it's probably an NIT caliber squad in terms of talent and experience.
I have been thinking the same thing on needing at least one big as a grad transfer.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Anytime your 2 SR (who are supposed to be 2/3 of your big three) go a combined 2/14, 6 pts, 9 rb, 0 assts, 5 TO you are going to lose and probably badly.

It is hard to watch Ben right now. He looks like his confidence is just shot. He wasn't making anything, close to the basket or not.

Nice to see Evan and Moses get a little time. Pretty easy to tell on the court that Evan is a little further along right now.
it's pretty appropriate right now to get them at least 5 mpg. If they are handling it ok, you can keep them in a little longer, if not then you take them out.

Nice to see you posting Jumpman.

I expect another ugly loss on Sunday. Duke is going to be steamed after 2 straight losses. We always seem to play them at the wrong time. remember last year it was when Grayson was allowed to come back and the last game before K disappeared for his health issues.

Nwora was a kid I really wanted last year. Played AAU ball with Jose. GT recruited him but as soon as L'ville offered it was over. I liked him alot more than Tucker.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
Okogie gonna need to score 40 to have a prayer against Duke. If there's ever a time to rediscover the back cuts, it's Sunday and Duke's poor defense.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Matters who they bring in as grad transfers. Gonna need at least one big who can play 20 min a game. Even if everything goes well, it's probably an NIT caliber squad in terms of talent and experience. Should be a way better shooting team and hopefully plays at a much faster pace. The worry is that the interior defense might be a disaster.

FWIW, my expectation for next season is 17-18 regular season wins. My expectation for this season was 14-15 regular season wins.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
This is for someone who follows basketball a little more closely than me-Will we be much better next year?

We'll be better on in the back court and worse in the front court. Fortunately basketball is currently a back court heavy game which means we'll probably get better. We're basically trading Tad for Devoe, Phillips, Moore, a healthy Haywood, and more experience for Okogie and Jose. We'll be significantly more experienced, have better ball handling, 3 guys with pg skills rather than 1, and a more traditional talent scheme as Tad was a weird post up guard a lot of the times. In the front court we trade Ben for Sjollund and some experience on Wright and Cole. We're going to get worse defensively for sure, and probably offensively, but there's a chance that offense will be closer to a wash because Ben just isn't hitting the shots this year like he's capable of. What we really need is to get experience on Wright and Cole though. The more we get now, the better off we'll be next year.

The last thing we want to do is take a grad transfer big and rely on them. It would put us in a terrible situation in 19-20 losing both him and gueye leaving us with 0 experience, and likely entering the same spiral that we saw fail for the last "coaching" staff.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, my expectation for next season is 17-18 regular season wins. My expectation for this season was 14-15 regular season wins.

Remember you saying that, I thought we would be at 18 but that was with Lammers and Jackson being above average ACC players. No reason Okogie can't be one of the top 25 players in the nation if he returns.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
We'll be better on in the back court and worse in the front court. Fortunately basketball is currently a back court heavy game which means we'll probably get better. We're basically trading Tad for Devoe, Phillips, Moore, a healthy Haywood, and more experience for Okogie and Jose. We'll be significantly more experienced, have better ball handling, 3 guys with pg skills rather than 1, and a more traditional talent scheme as Tad was a weird post up guard a lot of the times. In the front court we trade Ben for Sjollund and some experience on Wright and Cole. We're going to get worse defensively for sure, and probably offensively, but there's a chance that offense will be closer to a wash because Ben just isn't hitting the shots this year like he's capable of. What we really need is to get experience on Wright and Cole though. The more we get now, the better off we'll be next year.

The last thing we want to do is take a grad transfer big and rely on them. It would put us in a terrible situation in 19-20 losing both him and gueye leaving us with 0 experience, and likely entering the same spiral that we saw fail for the last "coaching" staff.

Can't go into next year with one true post player. The 2019-2020 starting center will have to be a true frosh or transfer.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Can't go into next year with one true post player. The 2019-2020 starting center will have to be a true frosh or transfer.

We have 4 post players returning next year on roster. 3 of those will still be eligible in 19-20. We need to develop the players we have. Not rely on mercenary players like the previous staff did and failed with.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
We have 4 post players returning next year on roster. 3 of those will still be eligible in 19-20. We need to develop the players we have. Not rely on mercenary players like the previous staff did and failed with.

But none of those guys are traditional post players.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You still have not answered my question. Also, please show me anywhere that I posted saying that he would be back. You guys are getting information so late and acting like you’ve been clued in all along. What you guys are just finding out about us old news. Ask @dtm1997
I'm not sure who you're telling to ask me something because I must have them on ignore. Chances are that I'll back you up though.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
But none of those guys are traditional post players.

Gueye is. Ogbonda has the size for it. Moses has the frame to develop into it. And sorry. But adding some 15 mpg player from a low level Meac school isn't the answer. The pipe dream of landing an ACC level post player through the grad transfer market is just that. A pipe dream. We tried that in the previous staff and it failed miserably.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer

So, we probably won't be much better next year, but maybe the year after?

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
Gueye is. Ogbonda has the size for it. Moses has the frame to develop into it. And sorry. But adding some 15 mpg player from a low level Meac school isn't the answer. The pipe dream of landing an ACC level post player through the grad transfer market is just that. A pipe dream. We tried that in the previous staff and it failed miserably.

AD will be gone for 19-20. I also have seen some speculation that Vess could be a transfer candidate.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
As for next year, AD is averaging 3.1 fouls per game. With him having to take on more of a defensive role next year with Lammers gone, you better have some frontcourt depth.