GT vs Louisville

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
We would be lucky if CH turns into Morrow. And i dont think you can call Morrow just a spot up shooter. If your just a spot up shooter you can score your 9-12 points on 3 or 4 3s and occasionally put up like 3 points. Morrow was dropping buckets regularly going for 20+. Also I loved Marvin Lewis when I was a kid and he had more team success but Morrow was the better player. And his 10+ year nba career would validate that.
Morrow's game didn't really round out until he got into the NBA. At Tech, he was predominately a spot-up shooter who was known to have trouble creating his own shot. Morrow would go on tears and just drop 3 after 3 like that kid from Wofford did. There were also games where he disappeared. Loved him, but his game was somewhat one-dimensional at Tech.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
Morrow's game didn't really round out until he got into the NBA. At Tech, he was predominately a spot-up shooter who was known to have trouble creating his own shot. Morrow would go on tears and just drop 3 after 3 like that kid from Wofford did. There were also games where he disappeared. Loved him, but his game was somewhat one-dimensional at Tech.

Also never seen a great shooter struggle so much in the clutch as Morrow did. Still remember that stupid WF loss in the ACC Tournament.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
Well he averaged close to 20

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
And im saying he was def a shooter, just cant say he was just a spot up shooter.
His FR & Soph years, Morrow literally stayed camped out in the corners waiting for passes so he can take shots from 3. That's reality.

Also reality, he absolutely developed in to a better player over the course of time, added a midrange shot, was an underrated defender as an upperclassmen, and got tougher.

franklinjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
My biggest takeaway on Morrow is that over 4 years we didn’t do enough to get him more looks. We had 4 or 5 different starters at PG over those years which didn’t help.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
But he could pass and catch the ball ; in other words he had some basketball instinct! This bench of ours does not have that basic basketball IQ to keep up with the talent they will be playing against and not even #5 and#10 on their own team!

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
For a bit of context - there were 3 players in the ACC who scored 20 PPG. 20 PPG would have made him third in the league. His 14PPG made him 15th - still not bad but not "elite" He averaged 2.5 3 pt shots per game so about half his points came from the 3 pt shot.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
His FR & Soph years, Morrow literally stayed camped out in the corners waiting for passes so he can take shots from 3. That's reality.

Also reality, he absolutely developed in to a better player over the course of time, added a midrange shot, was an underrated defender as an upperclassmen, and got tougher.
Im not talking about his under classman years...i was wrong about the near 20 ppg obviously I just think its unfair to Morrow to say CH is going to be better than Morrow....if he comes close to Morrows career than that is a great success.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'd take someone who is 15th in scoring in the ACC. Right now we have no one in the top 2o in the ACC. FWIW 15th in scoring this year is still about 15PPG.
right now we have 2 in the top 40. Jose at 35th - 12 PPG and Tadric at 38 with essentially 12 PPG. that ain't no way to run a railroad

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
I'd take someone who is 15th in scoring in the ACC. Right now we have no one in the top 2o in the ACC. FWIW 15th in scoring this year is still about 15PPG.
right now we have 2 in the top 40. Jose at 35th - 12 PPG and Tadric at 38 with essentially 12 PPG. that ain't no way to run a railroad

Okogie averages 18.4 per game overall and 17.6 in ACC conference games only.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Im not talking about his under classman years...i was wrong about the near 20 ppg obviously I just think its unfair to Morrow to say CH is going to be better than Morrow....if he comes close to Morrows career than that is a great success.

I think it's fair to say CGB has the potential to be as good as Morrow. He displays a lot of the same characteristics when healthy. You've got to look at the full package. I think CGB will be a better defender earlier in his career than Morrow.

Also, if Curt is averaging 12/5 during his JR & SR years, I'll consider that a big success and major contributor. I think he has upside from those figures, but I'd love to get that kind of production from him as an upperclassmen.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
I think it's fair to say CGB has the potential to be as good as Morrow. He displays a lot of the same characteristics when healthy. You've got to look at the full package. I think CGB will be a better defender earlier in his career than Morrow.

Also, if Curt is averaging 12/5 during his JR & SR years, I'll consider that a big success and major contributor. I think he has upside from those figures, but I'd love to get that kind of production from him as an upperclassmen.
The basis of my argument is that Morrow was more than "just" a spot up shooter...can we agree on that?

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
The basis of my argument is that Morrow was more than "just" a spot up shooter...can we agree on that?
In the NBA he def was a spot up shooter...though didnt he have a game in the league when he dropped like 40? This is all on memory but i feel like he had a game where he went bazurk

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My only fear with CH is are we going to get bit with another leg injury like Holsey and Jorgenson and Jeremis Smith.
We've had too many instances of guys with alot of potential whose games had to be completely overhauled which lowered their ceiling because of leg injuries.
If he does come back 100% I expect him to have a very solid career.

If you look at just OOC games he played in 9, started 7. His efficiency metrics put him 5th on the team behind Lammers, Okogie, alvarado and Jackson. If you look at just the 7 games he started he moves in front of Jackson and in either case his metrics are well ahead of AD, Moses and Brandon.

In his 9 games OOC he was 2nd in FG%, 1st in 3FG%, 2nd in FT% (0.7% behind Jose), 2nd in threes made, 2nd in assists, 1st in Asst:TO ratio, 1st in min per TO (24.4 min/TO), T3 steals, 5th in scoring.
He was very quickly growing into the player I saw in videos from the previous yr. Basically a tough minded glue guy. Not a guy that is going to be a main scorer every night, but one that can be a secondary scorer, secondary ballhandler, will rebound, defend, make hustle plays, make good passes, good shooter. A guy that gets alot of time partly because you can put him in with other guys and he can adjust what he needs to focus on based on the lineup you have.

But anybody who didn't see a future ACC quality starter based on his play before his injury wasn't paying attention. Heck, if he hadn't gotten hurt he likely would have started the entire ACC season just like Jose.

If you want to say he didn't look like an ACC player after he returned to play from injury, i'd agree, but he didn't look like the same player and was clearly not healthy.
If he gets back to 100% healthy imo he is at worst an ACC rotation player next season and at best an ACC starter.