GT vs Central Florida Cancelled

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I just want them to stop with the farce that the cancellation was due to the NG or w/e. It was due to lost game-prep/practice time due to poor planning. Their MEM game being cancelled makes it even more egregious.

And, no, I'm not unsympathetic to the fact that many people are dealing with repairs, loss of power, etc. I'm just saying one has little/nothing to do with the other.

Deleted member 2897

I just want them to stop with the farce that the cancellation was due to the NG or w/e. It was due to lost game-prep/practice time due to poor planning. Their MEM game being cancelled makes it even more egregious.

And, no, I'm not unsympathetic to the fact that many people are dealing with repairs, loss of power, etc. I'm just saying one has little/nothing to do with the other.

This is exactly how I feel. I think their fans know too, which is why they are so irate. I bet they could fill up the Citris Bowl - it could have been a great event for the community to come together. Just totally poor planning on their part. Almost 90% of Orange County (which includes Orlando) has their power back after the first day of work. Typically you start restoring power on main lines and near critical infrastructure (like hospitals), so you get these huge bursts of the population that get power back fast. The last few percent of people are painstakingly slow, as they typically are out in rural areas where fixing a line might only turn the lights back on to one or two houses at a time. But the point is the city will be largely back in business today. I wouldn't be surprised if something like 95%-98% of residents and businesses in Orlando have power by this afternoon.

This is a good opportunity for Georgia Tech though. We now get 2 weeks to prepare for Pitt and 2 weeks to prepare for Miami, both of whom will be coming off playing nationally ranked teams and will probably be beat up. Clemson and Wake get bye weeks before us, so it will all even out. But Pitt and Miami are much more toss-up type games than Clemson and Wake in my opinion. I hope we are able to take advantage of the extra time off. I wouldn't have fought or argued with UCF one bit when they called to cancel. Take them at their word and let them do whatever they need to do. Whether or not we would have won or lost to UCF wouldn't move the needle one bit on reaching the ACC Championship or beyond. In fact, you could easily argue there was only downside to it, and a lot of it (injuries, less prep time, losing to an unranked team, etc.)

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
This is exactly how I feel. I think their fans know too, which is why they are so irate. I bet they could fill up the Citris Bowl - it could have been a great event for the community to come together. Just totally poor planning on their part. Almost 90% of Orange County (which includes Orlando) has their power back after the first day of work. Typically you start restoring power on main lines and near critical infrastructure (like hospitals), so you get these huge bursts of the population that get power back fast. The last few percent of people are painstakingly slow, as they typically are out in rural areas where fixing a line might only turn the lights back on to one or two houses at a time. But the point is the city will be largely back in business today. I wouldn't be surprised if something like 95%-98% of residents and businesses in Orlando have power by this afternoon.

This is a good opportunity for Georgia Tech though. We now get 2 weeks to prepare for Pitt and 2 weeks to prepare for Miami, both of whom will be coming off playing nationally ranked teams and will probably be beat up. Clemson and Wake get bye weeks before us, so it will all even out. But Pitt and Miami are much more toss-up type games than Clemson and Wake in my opinion. I hope we are able to take advantage of the extra time off. I wouldn't have fought or argued with UCF one bit when they called to cancel. Take them at their word and let them do whatever they need to do. Whether or not we would have won or lost to UCF wouldn't move the needle one bit on reaching the ACC Championship or beyond. In fact, you could easily argue there was only downside to it, and a lot of it (injuries, less prep time, losing to an unranked team, etc.)

Yeah, at this point we just move on as if we have an extra bye week which we may need considering the short rest between games 1 and 2.

I'd be curious to see if CPJ makes a snide remark about the weird cancellation though.

ETA: And lol @ those tweets. The 'player safety' farce is so ridiculous. Guess the soccer players and their families are screwed.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, at this point we just move on as if we have an extra bye week which we may need considering the short rest between games 1 and 2.

I'd be curious to see if CPJ makes a snide remark about the weird cancellation though.

ETA: And lol @ those tweets. The 'player safety' farce is so ridiculous. Guess the soccer players and their families are screwed.
The player's safety excuse is a sack of shyte:rolleyes:

Deleted member 2897

The schedule changes work out amazingly well for us, so there is nothing to be done or accomplished by any negativity towards UCF. Hopefully all you'll hear out of Stansbury and Johnson et al is just that we wish them a safe recovery and we did everything we could think of to help accommodate them.

Danny White said today (the question was 'why not just still play the game but at the Citris Bowl') that they wouldn't have enough prep time. So that's the bottom line. The other comments in the past about player safety and so all are outdated. Where we stand today is that everyone is safe, campus is open, but they won't have enough time to prep for Georgia Tech.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

You guys should sign up for Rivals if you aren't already. Always great material over there.

I'm like "whatever" about this whole cancellation thing, but I think it could have been played. Flipping sites makes sense to me since UCF gave out their space to host relief efforts.

However, I think KQ's use of the soccer team to call out the football team is not very well thought out. Anyone who's played football and soccer know there's no where near the preparation needed to play soccer. Football requires a lot of preparation in the film room and on the practice field...not to mention getting the equipment ready for 85+ players. That's why I can sympathize with CPJ not being happy about playing JSU only 5 days after playing UT even if JSU is a lower level football team.

That's why you see soccer games at the highest professional level being played on only 3-4 days rest. UCF just needs to man up and say they were not prepared to play us.

Deleted member 2897

I'm like "whatever" about this whole cancellation thing, but I think it could have been played. Flipping sites makes sense to me since UCF gave out their space to host relief efforts.

Athletic Director Danny White was asked on the radio this morning why not just play at the Citris Bowl. They could have kept all the tickets/concessions money instead of flipping to Atlanta, and probably would have made MORE money than a regular home game, and he said they didn't have enough time to prepare for Georgia Tech.

I think this works out great for us, and sets us up with help to make a run at the Coastal with a bye week before Pitt and a bye week before Miami when both teams will be beat up after playing a highly ranked opponent. So I'm fine with it. But the honest excuse out of Danny's mouth is they thought the world was going to end so they never even thought about playing us...and then once they realized they could, because of all their lost time from the other decisions they wouldn't have been able to prepare well. Kind of a lame situation, but it is what it is.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Athletic Director Danny White was asked on the radio this morning why not just play at the Citris Bowl. They could have kept all the tickets/concessions money instead of flipping to Atlanta, and probably would have made MORE money than a regular home game, and he said they didn't have enough time to prepare for Georgia Tech.

I think this works out great for us, and sets us up with help to make a run at the Coastal with a bye week before Pitt and a bye week before Miami when both teams will be beat up after playing a highly ranked opponent. So I'm fine with it. But the honest excuse out of Danny's mouth is they thought the world was going to end so they never even thought about playing us...and then once they realized they could, because of all their lost time from the other decisions they wouldn't have been able to prepare well. Kind of a lame situation, but it is what it is.

For some reason I thought they dismantled the Citrus Bowl. Last time I was down there, the only thing I saw were the home and visting team stands still up. Everything around it was demo'd.

Deleted member 2897

I kinda just want them to come out and admit they didn't wanna take this butt whippin'. :cigar:

That's essentially what Danny White said today on the radio. He said they expected a terrible situation and just kind of gave up and assumed the worst. Then the sun came out, things weren't as bad as they thought, and suddenly they hadn't done anything to prepare for Georgia Tech in the last week. He was asked why not like right now can they just play the game Saturday in the Citrus Bowl. He said because they wouldn't have time to prepare at this point. That means he's worried they would just get stomped if they came out with only a couple days to practice. Its a fair point. But its really unfair to the fans. I think the fans and the players and the community would have rallied around them. Its good to be the underdog sometimes. Oh well.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Sugiura: Tech offered to play UCF at Bobby Dodd Stadium
“I think our administration offered to play the game here, and I don’t think (UCF) had an interest in that,” coach Paul Johnson said Wednesday on the ACC’s weekly teleconference.
Johnson also said that, with the cancellation, the team is using this week’s practice doing fundamental work to clean up mistakes and also beginning preparations for the ACC opener against Pittsburgh on Sept. 23. Players will be off Friday, Saturday and Sunday before returning to practice Monday.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Full ACC teleconference transcript for Paul Johnson - Georgia Tech
Q. Do you know whether there were attempts to try to move the game up to Atlanta or invite UCF up earlier to be able to help them out with everything they're going through down here?
PAUL JOHNSON: I think our administration offered to play the game here, and I don't think they had an interest in that. I'd hoped that we have -- I think it's a home at home where they were coming back here maybe the 19th or 20th or something like that so I was hoping we could just flip them if we needed to, but they didn't seem to have an interest in doing that.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Going to be interesting to see if they want a return trip in the future, or if they cancel traveling to Atlanta next year.