GT vs Central Florida Cancelled

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
When we don't play the games, we're just letting the hurricanes win.

By the way, there was no pun intended with this allusion to letting the terrorists win ... though there is a pun intended in comparing the Hurricanes to terrorists

LibertyTurns

Banned
It doesn't appear that playing sporting events in Florida this weekend will impede recovery efforts or strain state resources. In fact, many of the events are being used to "rally support for the community.". Yet, the game being played the farthest inland is cancelled. It makes you wonder what's really happening...

USF to play in Tampa Friday night:
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-florida-bulls-play-home-game-tampa-scheduled

UF vs TN in Gainesville Saturday:
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...rs-host-tennessee-volunteers-saturday-planned

BUCS to play in Tampa Sunday:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...host-chicago-bears-sunday-wake-hurricane-irma
You hit the nail on the head.

Now if those National Guard assets needed Spectrum Stadium to support relief efforts in The Keys, Naples, Bonita Springs, etc I'd be able to understand it. I'm sure someone can find some pictures of things destroyed in Orlando or nearby, but for the most part the city is in good shape.

There's only one reason UCF doesn't want to play this game and we all know what it is.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Sugiura: Why UCF cancellation could work to Georgia Tech’s advantage
Before the game was cancelled Monday afternoon, Johnson recorded his weekly radio show with Tech voice Andy Demetra and shared his concern about the UCF game, Tech’s third game in 13 days.

“The last time we did it, our third game was the one that was really bad,” Johnson said. “I’m still concerned about it. It’s something we’ve got to put behind us. I don’t know if you talk about it with your team.”

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
If we're willing to conclude that UCF was simply "scared" to play us this weekend... are we willing to conclude Ga Tech is "scared" to work out adding a game on 10/7 eliminating a bye week before Miami?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Some of us have lost the plot. People had their homes destroyed, friends displaced and entire communities STILL without power. Regardless of whether or not the specific sq footage around the campus was hit the team, their families, coaches and support staff have a massive effort ahead for those affected. Not to climb up on the soap box but we just went through Harvey here in Houston. My area was fortunate and missed most of the damage but business and schools around here are all pitching in to help those that weren't. The game is a long way down list of importance.

In addition to that stark dose of reality I agree with others that this time will be better spent by the team and coaching staff getting better and healthy. TM takes a beating during games and we need to get our ST figured out. Maybe we could do some sort of open scrimmage against ourselves or GaSt or something that was free, but the logistics would be a nightmare even for a local team. I know basketball does some off the books scrimmages during the preseason workout camps but have no clue how much work it takes to organize those and they have 8x fewer players not to mention support staff and coaches.

Let's take a minute to chill out. It sucks to miss a game of GT football but man there are bigger things going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand your point, but I flew into Orlando today, and there is simply no comparison with Houston.None. A few folks lost their fences and some roof shingles here in Orlando. Businesses are all operating normally again. Theme parks, hotels, everything is open for business. No major roads are closed. I don't know the power situation, but honestly that's an inconvenience. As someone who went through Camille and Katrina, it is an insulting comparison.

UCF made their decision, but clearly there were no logiistical reasons for the decision. As has been pointed out, plenty of other Florida teams are playing this weekend, and hurricane damage is NOT the reason UCF made this decision.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I understand your point, but I flew into Orlando today, and there is simply no comparison with Houston.None. A few folks lost their fences and some roof shingles here in Orlando. Businesses are all operating normally again. Theme parks, hotels, everything is open for business. No major roads are closed. I don't know the power situation, but honestly that's an inconvenience. As someone who went through Camille and Katrina, it is an insulting comparison.

UCF made their decision, but clearly there were no logiistical reasons for the decision. As has been pointed out, plenty of other Florida teams are playing this weekend, and hurricane damage is NOT the reason UCF made this decision.

UCF will not resume classes until Monday. They have limited facilities open currently, residences/food service/etc. Their football stadium is currently being used as a staging center for 1,000 National Guard troops. I'm not under the belief that their stadium blew away or is under water. I do however realize that they are taking care of things more important than my Saturday entertainment.

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2017/09/12/ucf-will-resume-classes-on-sept-18

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
UCF will not resume classes until Monday. They have limited facilities open currently, residences/food service/etc. Their football stadium is currently being used as a staging center for 1,000 National Guard troops. I'm not under the belief that their stadium blew away or is under water. I do however realize that they are taking care of things more important than my Saturday entertainment.

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2017/09/12/ucf-will-resume-classes-on-sept-18
My point is that one simply has to wonder why UCF has chosen to close until next Monday when the rest of their own world here in Orlando has moved on. It cannot be hurricane damage. I'm here. I can see with my own eyes.

gtkevin12

Jolly Good Fellow

Raymond James stadium in Tampa is also being used as a staging area for the National Guard, I guess they should have cancelled games there as well...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...host-chicago-bears-sunday-wake-hurricane-irma

slugboy

Staff member
UCF lost two games off their schedule. From a bowl perspective, this hurts them more than us if they thought they could win. And they're giving up a home game and refunding money. This can't have been an easy choice for them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Raymond James stadium in Tampa is also being used as a staging area for the National Guard, I guess they should have cancelled games there as well...

From your article: "was used as a staging area for local law enforcement and the military during the storm." From the article that I posted: "Currently, 1,000 troops with the National Guard are also using the Spectrum Stadium as a staging area for operations." There is a difference between "was used" and "Currently,".

I don't know what the condition of the playing surface is, but you are comparing a $65MM stadium with grass and a $248MM stadium with turf. I don't know, but I would imagine that the drain system underneath Raymond James is far superior to Spectrum. If Tampa Bay players are not in Tampa, I doubt the team would have any issue with private planes or helicopters to get the players there. If the stadium workers are not available for the game, I'm sure that the team would have no problem getting security, food service, and support staff to the game even if they have to fly people from out of town to work the game. I don't think UCF could afford to do those things.

In addition to that, it is a non-conference game. The game is absolutely meaningless. Sure people want to see it, and sure it makes onsite and TV money. However, it does not affect standings at all. GT will not gain or lose place in the conference based on this game.

Classes do not begin until Monday. They said that many of the students don't believe they can get back quickly. I don't know where the football players are. I don't know what condition the player's families are in. I don't know the condition of the grass on the field is. I don't know if the stadium has any facilities damage that needs to be worked on before allowing the general public in. If you can provide proof that: The turf is not damaged, the stadium facilities are not damaged, all of the football players are able to get back on campus, the emergency services personnel are no longer using any of their facilities, the football players are not concerned about their families, the workers for the game are available, and that the facilities workers for the University don't have more important things to do than get the stadium ready: then I might start to think something is up. However, I will assume that they put their students and athletes well being before a simple game of football.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
My point is that one simply has to wonder why UCF has chosen to close until next Monday when the rest of their own world here in Orlando has moved on. It cannot be hurricane damage. I'm here. I can see with my own eyes.

I can understand the statement that the hurricane damage isn't substantial. The thing I don't understand is the attitude of some people in this thread that UCF should act like an NFL team, or that UCF should act like a wealthy SEC team playing a conference game.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
UCF lost two games off their schedule. From a bowl perspective, this hurts them more than us if they thought they could win. And they're giving up a home game and refunding money. This can't have been an easy choice for them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bowl qualification just requires .500 or better. In UCF's case, with only 10 games total, they can go 5-5 and qualify for a bowl.

Per Sugiura: "In the case of UCF, which has now lost two regular-season games, the Knights' bowl picture may not be as dire as might first appear. NCAA rules state that a team gains eligibility if it has as many wins against FBS opponents as losses, meaning that the Knights could be eligible at 5-5. NCAA rules allow teams to include one win over an FCS team that awards 90 percent of the permissible maximum number of scholarships. UCF is 1-0."

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I can understand the statement that the hurricane damage isn't substantial. The thing I don't understand is the attitude of some people in this thread that UCF should act like an NFL team, or that UCF should act like a wealthy SEC team playing a conference game.
I wonder is some of what that's behind this is UCF didn't want an extra loss on their record? Just Sayin';)

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I wonder is some of what that's behind this is UCF didn't want an extra loss on their record? Just Sayin';)

But that raises the question, if it is just to avoid a loss, why delay the entire University. Does anyone actually believe that the school would scrap a weeks worth of classes in order to avoid a loss in football? Any school that would do that should lose accreditation.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I live in Jax. 2 big trees took out the power lines in front of my house. I have no power. I am lucky. Either or both trees could have landed on my house. A good friend of mine's house is sitting in 4 ft of water. I had tickets to the game, the ONLY game I was going to see live. All in all, I am one lucky Jacket. My advice to you: Count your blessings.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I live in Jax. 2 big trees took out the power lines in front of my house. I have no power. I am lucky. Either or both trees could have landed on my house. A good friend of mine's house is sitting in 4 ft of water. I had tickets to the game, the ONLY game I was going to see live. All in all, I am one lucky Jacket. My advice to you: Count your blessings.
Sorry hope you get power on soon, warm beer sucks but better than no beer. :)