GT vs Central Florida Cancelled

gtkevin12

Jolly Good Fellow
From your article: "was used as a staging area for local law enforcement and the military during the storm." From the article that I posted: "Currently, 1,000 troops with the National Guard are also using the Spectrum Stadium as a staging area for operations." There is a difference between "was used" and "Currently,".

I don't know what the condition of the playing surface is, but you are comparing a $65MM stadium with grass and a $248MM stadium with turf. I don't know, but I would imagine that the drain system underneath Raymond James is far superior to Spectrum. If Tampa Bay players are not in Tampa, I doubt the team would have any issue with private planes or helicopters to get the players there. If the stadium workers are not available for the game, I'm sure that the team would have no problem getting security, food service, and support staff to the game even if they have to fly people from out of town to work the game. I don't think UCF could afford to do those things.

In addition to that, it is a non-conference game. The game is absolutely meaningless. Sure people want to see it, and sure it makes onsite and TV money. However, it does not affect standings at all. GT will not gain or lose place in the conference based on this game.

Classes do not begin until Monday. They said that many of the students don't believe they can get back quickly. I don't know where the football players are. I don't know what condition the player's families are in. I don't know the condition of the grass on the field is. I don't know if the stadium has any facilities damage that needs to be worked on before allowing the general public in. If you can provide proof that: The turf is not damaged, the stadium facilities are not damaged, all of the football players are able to get back on campus, the emergency services personnel are no longer using any of their facilities, the football players are not concerned about their families, the workers for the game are available, and that the facilities workers for the University don't have more important things to do than get the stadium ready: then I might start to think something is up. However, I will assume that they put their students and athletes well being before a simple game of football.

Conditions look great!

https://ucf.forums.rivals.com/threads/just-got-back-from-our-practice-fields-and-stadium.52795/

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

Just wow. Reinforces my point that hurricane damage here in Orlando is NOT the reason for this cancellation. Orlando is NOT Jacksonville or Key West where storm surges and flooding really caused serious issues. I don't understand why comparing UCF to UF is so off the mark. Both are universities in the same state university system. Both are inland. Likely similar situations with regard to local damage. UCF likely has fewer students from other parts of the state than UF has (many UCF students are locals). Or is it all just about money?

I am NOT saying the school cancelled the game to avoid a loss. I AM guessing that the school followed the ongoing protocol of being so safe that it becomes ridiculous.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Just wow. Reinforces my point that hurricane damage here in Orlando is NOT the reason for this cancellation. Orlando is NOT Jacksonville or Key West where storm surges and flooding really caused serious issues. I don't understand why comparing UCF to UF is so off the mark. Both are universities in the same state university system. Both are inland. Likely similar situations with regard to local damage. UCF likely has fewer students from other parts of the state than UF has (many UCF students are locals). Or is it all just about money?

I am NOT saying the school cancelled the game to avoid a loss. I AM guessing that the school followed the ongoing protocol of being so safe that it becomes ridiculous.
UCF is starting to look like a joke.:rolleyes: They look like they're fishing for a 5-5 record and the Toilet Bowl instead of 5-7 and no Bowl Game.:rolleyes:

Sheldon's

Jolly Good Fellow
Let me share my perspective from the east coast of Central Florida. We lost a tree and minor shingle damage. We just got water back last night and over two and a half days and counting with still no power. We're spending the night at friends house with water and power and working at another location since I can't work from home.

I had tickets to the game, and really bummed that Frost chickened out. There is a lot of damage around. For me I enjoyed watching football on Saturday night and Sunday. I was looking forward to Saturday and the UCF game to take my mind off of things. It would have been the one game I can get to this year.

I would say ror UCF that they had poor planning at best case but if Ga Tech throws a stink we look bad so it is lose lose for Ga Tech. They look like the hero for hosting two dozen people.

If you'd like a perspective of what life is like around here this is a video my son and his friend posted on Tuesday.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Let me share my perspective from the east coast of Central Florida. We lost a tree and minor shingle damage. We just got water back last night and over two and a half days and counting with still no power. We're spending the night at friends house with water and power and working at another location since I can't work from home.

I had tickets to the game, and really bummed that Frost chickened out. There is a lot of damage around. For me I enjoyed watching football on Saturday night and Sunday. I was looking forward to Saturday and the UCF game to take my mind off of things. It would have been the one game I can get to this year.

I would say ror UCF that they had poor planning at best case but if Ga Tech throws a stink we look bad so it is lose lose for Ga Tech. They look like the hero for hosting two dozen people.

If you'd like a perspective of what life is like around here this is a video my son and his friend posted on Tuesday.

Really nice work by your son and friend.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I've NEVER heard that about GT fb, i would say that it's more likely that the Coaches complain that academics are the tail that wags the dog at GT, as it should be.

You should hear the screeching when GT has a Thursday night game then. Efforts to close the campus to allow fans to park are met with complaints and this exact argument.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
You should hear the screeching when GT has a Thursday night game then. Efforts to close the campus to allow fans to park are met with complaints and this exact argument.
UCF cancels all classes on both campuses on Thursday game days, even the one across town no where near the stadium. That's what has my BIL pissed, he teaches on the 'other' campus. (grad level Game design)

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I tried to find a mention somewhere other than fan forums without success. Apparently the cancellation of that game is not a controversy anywhere else. But, the UCF boards are going nuts!

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Yeah, I tend to think it's a combination of what you and @MWBATL said. Poor, panicky plan by UCF left them ill-prepared to deal with less damage than expected. Now they look like heroes for hosting like 13 dudes and a crap-ton of equipment that'll likely go unused.

"Oh kudos to UCF for putting liiiiiives ahead of football." Please.

That's why you won't see any outrage besides fan forums @orientalnc . Everybody's too busy patting UCF on the back for being heroes(sic).

LibertyTurns

Banned
Hey nobody's mentioned the HQ for the FLNG is a very short distance away. They actually had to move their gear from its permanent location to set up temporary digs at UCF. Also, no mention of them using the CFE Arena which is an inside facility instead of the open air football stadium. This whole thing is idiotic at best if you believe UCF's "story".

BirdnBee

Georgia Tech Fan
I live in Orlando. We were without power up until late last night. As of 7PM yesterday there were still 60 schools without power in Orange County. While we did not get the devastation of Houston and South Florida (and, frankly many places in Georgia), many parts of the city ARE still trying to get back on their feet. I have driven all over the city in the past few days and there are certain areas that are much more heavily damaged than a few fences and branches blown down. For those that have flown in or gone to the parks, you just are not seeing the full scope. I was looking forward to seeing GT play this weekend for the first time in four years. I had family and friends coming to visit just for the game. But I don't fault UCF for their decision.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Hey nobody's mentioned the HQ for the FLNG is a very short distance away. They actually had to move their gear from its permanent location to set up temporary digs at UCF. Also, no mention of them using the CFE Arena which is an inside facility instead of the open air football stadium. This whole thing is idiotic at best if you believe UCF's "story".
(y)

Deleted member 2897

Danny White was interviewed on the radio this morning. Essentially what happened is they got freaked out last Friday at the predicted path and strength of the hurricane. Memphis was already there for the Friday game, but UCF canceled it. They also let some of their players leave to go help family. At that point based on the words and tone he used, I really think they thought the world was going to end so they made no contingency plans or anything, assuming the worst. The storm as we all know collapsed down to under 70mph storms by the time it came through and the Orlando area got off lucky. While half of the population lost electricity, 75% of those that lost it had it back after the first day's work by the utilities - so 88% had electricity again after the first day's work. Still no coaches or the A.D. had ever thought differently about next Saturday's game, so they offered their stadium facilities up to the National Guard and so on. I don't think they ever even spent a second thinking if they could play. On the interview they were asked about why not just play in the Citris Bowl so you don't lose a game and so much money. His answer was that they didn't think they could prepare for Georgia Tech in time. It wasn't a logistical problem, it wasn't a problem with anything else...just they put themselves so far behind the 8 ball they never thought about it until yesterday. So JJ Green was tantentially right - I think they think they would get easily beat if they don't have more than a couple days to prepare...it really came off that the only reason they aren't playing at the Citris Bowl is game prep time.

All the UCF dorms are open, dining halls, student health center. The UCF soccer team is playing Saturday. The football field and facilities are immaculate - you can't even find a leaf on the ground.

To me, this was totally unnecessary. I get the reason for the fear last Friday, but hurricanes by nature are very unpredictable. You should always assume the worst and plan for the worst, but especially after the sun rises the next day and you see you got lucky, you can't just write off life for the next 2 weeks. Think of the #OrlandoStrong promotions they could have done with cheap or free tickets to the area and first responders and so on. This could have been an amazingly emotional and passionate game for them this weekend.

Oh well.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
I could not possibly care less about not playing this game.

I'm normally the guy who rolls his eyes at the "trap game" crap, but this was a game that made me raise my eyebrows even before the hurricane. We probably would have won (~65%), but it wasn't going to be the walk-over a lot of fans thought.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Danny White was interviewed on the radio this morning. Essentially what happened is they got freaked out last Friday at the predicted path and strength of the hurricane. Memphis was already there for the Friday game, but UCF canceled it. They also let some of their players leave to go help family. At that point based on the words and tone he used, I really think they thought the world was going to end so they made no contingency plans or anything, assuming the worst. The storm as we all know collapsed down to under 70mph storms by the time it came through and the Orlando area got off lucky. While half of the population lost electricity, 75% of those that lost it had it back after the first day's work by the utilities - so 88% had electricity again after the first day's work. Still no coaches or the A.D. had ever thought differently about next Saturday's game, so they offered their stadium facilities up to the National Guard and so on. I don't think they ever even spent a second thinking if they could play. On the interview they were asked about why not just play in the Citris Bowl so you don't lose a game and so much money. His answer was that they didn't think they could prepare for Georgia Tech in time. It wasn't a logistical problem, it wasn't a problem with anything else...just they put themselves so far behind the 8 ball they never thought about it until yesterday. So JJ Green was tantentially right - I think they think they would get easily beat if they don't have more than a couple days to prepare...it really came off that the only reason they aren't playing at the Citris Bowl is game prep time.

All the UCF dorms are open, dining halls, student health center. The UCF soccer team is playing Saturday. The football field and facilities are immaculate - you can't even find a leaf on the ground.

To me, this was totally unnecessary. I get the reason for the fear last Friday, but hurricanes by nature are very unpredictable. You should always assume the worst and plan for the worst, but especially after the sun rises the next day and you see you got lucky, you can't just write off life for the next 2 weeks. Think of the #OrlandoStrong promotions they could have done with cheap or free tickets to the area and first responders and so on. This could have been an amazingly emotional and passionate game for them this weekend.

Oh well.
I messaged my UCF niece on Friday and she said almost the same thing. They thought the storm was coming up the center of Florida or just to the east. Her parents live in Broward, so they encouraged her to stay on campus and follow directions from the admin. She said a lot of students left campus, including football players. It would be interesting to look at the hometowns of the players and see how many are truly "local" to Orange County. Obviously, Irma did a lot less damage than expected, but that is the good news. It is clear the dye was set when players were released to go home knowing campus would be closed through Tuesday.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I could not possibly care less about not playing this game.

I'm normally the guy who rolls his eyes at the "trap game" crap, but this was a game that made me raise my eyebrows even before the hurricane. We probably would have won (~65%), but it wasn't going to be the walk-over a lot of fans thought.
Before the game was canceled we were a one point favorite.