GT vs Central Florida Cancelled

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Not sure how these contracts are written in terms of cancellations.
But, I read this morning that Memphis just canceled their game with GA. State so they could schedule UCF later THIS SEASON ????
IMO, maybe I'm not being sensitive to those who suffered from the hurricane ... but this "we couldn't re-assemble our team in time to prepare for the game" thing STINKS !

northgajacket

Banned
This situation is reminding me of the time Alabama cancelled their game against Texas A&M in 1988 bc Bill Curry did not want to travel to A&M bc of an impending hurricane but many believe he was using that as an excuse bc his starting QB was injured.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
But, I read this morning that Memphis just canceled their game with GA. State so they could schedule UCF later THIS SEASON ????

That actually makes sense since the Memphis-UCF game was a conference game. That also means that Memphis is playing an 11 game season with the missing game being non-conference Ga State, and UCF is now back up to an 11 game schedule with the missing game being non-conference against us.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
https://ucf.rivals.com/news/frost-defends-decision-to-call-off-georgia-tech-game

On Wednesday, Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson appeared to call UCF out for declining their offer of playing Saturday's game in Atlanta.

"Realistically to prepare for a game, we practice Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday," Frost said. "The hurricane was still kind of here on Monday. We had no chance to practice Monday. Tuesday we didn't have half of our roster back. Yesterday it was close to 70, 80 percent. Today we're still short guys. To try to get a team ready to play, you need a week of preparation. Even a short week would have been okay, but losing two or three practices and trying to play a game would have been impossible.

"Playing it somewhere else, Paul Johnson knows better than what he said. Playing it somewhere else wouldn't have mattered. In fact, travel would have made the problem even worse. The decision to cancel the Memphis game affected our decision whether to keep the kids here or not. When we didn't keep the kids here, I knew all along this game was in more jeopardy than the one leading up to the hurricane."

Meanwhile last week Tech was playing a game on Monday night and recovering on Tuesday...

You know, if they're saying that canceling the Memphis game played into canceling our game, they should have just pre-emptively cancelled ours so we'd have a chance to schedule a replacement. If they knew getting the kids back was going to be a problem, they owed it to us to let us know. That's what pisses me off the most here.

northgajacket

Banned
I think this cancellation comes down the fact that maybe UCF's current coaching staff was probably not thrilled with this match-up. Remember the agreement was reached between the two schools when UCF had a former Tech coach as their head coach (O'Leary) and the AD was a former Tech player ( current Tech AD Todd Stansbury) , therefore was more intriguing of a match-up. Now that they are no longer with UCF, I think UCF's current administration did not want to play a game that they had no part of in negotiations and I think they found a convenient excuse to get out of it without consequence. My Two Cents.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I think this cancellation comes down the fact that maybe UCF's current coaching staff was probably not thrilled with this match-up. Remember the agreement was reached between the two schools when UCF had a former Tech coach as their head coach (O'Leary) and the AD was a former Tech player ( current Tech AD Todd Stansbury) , therefore was more intriguing of a match-up. Now that they are no longer with UCF, I think UCF's current administration did not want to play a game that they had no part of in negotiations and I think they found a convenient excuse to get out of it without consequence. My Two Cents.
GT needs to drop them from the 2020 schedule and add an FCS team.

Jmonty71

Banned
I'm confused... UCF canceled... Yet, USF is playing Illinois right now. Maybe it'e me.. But, did UCF cancel, out of fear????

gtkevin12

Jolly Good Fellow
They said over 2,100 first responders attended the USF game tonight via the free tickets USF provided. I was extremely happy they took time to relax and enjoy a fun evening of football.

BUT, part of me wondered how they could find time for football when the Orlando area is still devastated and without ice???

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
GT needs to drop them from the 2020 schedule and add an FCS team.
But if UCF cancelled because they really didn't want to face us, then dropping them in 2020 would just be letting them off the hook a second time. Under no circumstances should we let them back out of the 2020 game. Lawyer up if need be, and make them either play against us or forfeit to us. Give them no choice but to come play us in Atlanta, and then inflict a GT-vs-Cumberland-style butt-whooping on them.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
But if UCF cancelled because they really didn't want to face us, then dropping them in 2020 would just be letting them off the hook a second time. Under no circumstances should we let them back out of the 2020 game. Lawyer up if need be, and make them either play against us or forfeit to us. Give them non choice but to come play us in Atlanta, and then inflict a GT-vs-Cumberland-style butt-whooping on them.
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)