GT v Tarholes Post Game

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Our D is still not covering very well (maybe they are really bad). The interceptions were all really bad throws. The last was tipped by the UNC receiver right into our hands. None were the result of great play on our part.

I agree we could do better coverage-wise, but what you posted here is simply wrong.

Did you mean to post this in the FL Tech scrimmage thread? 'Cause the passes we were intercepting in that game were indeed terribad. ;)

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
On the end of the first half, I leaned kicking the field goal as the right decision, but had no problem going for it either. I think we went for it on 4th down inside their 30 yard line three times. Twice we got a first down and ultimately a TD and once we turned it over on downs. If we had kicked all three times, that is 9 points. If my math is right, 14>9.

I think anyone who criticizes the call at the end of the first half as “obviously wrong” cannot also support those other decisions that worked. They are a package deal. That is how being aggressive and going for it works.
My issue with going for it at the end of the first half was that UNC had just kicked a FG on their last series to cut the lead to 11. We were also getting the ball to start the 2nd half. I’m ok with most of PJ’s decision making on 4th down but you also have to take into account the situation. In that situation, taking the 3 points, adding to the lead and getting momentum back just before half seemed to be the most sensible call.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
Will be interested to hear ibeeballin's breakdown on the D. We only gave up 3 points in the first half, and then kind of became a revolving door in the 2nd. I don't know whether the backup QB made better decisions, or whether UNC made adjustments. The WR for UNC made a lot of good plays that probably would've been hard for any CB to cover.

I also noticed it seemed like we were a little slow on getting lined up in the 2nd half when UNC went tempo.

The play action call was great and the execution was near perfect (would've preferred he led Qua a little more). It's also good to see TO getting more comfortable with the other facets of the offense. It also looked to me that TQM had a few misreads on the mesh, which may have been what led to him getting pulled (may have been rusty).

It was good that we're to the point where we can dictate what happens....if we had a few less turnovers I wouldn't have had my blood pressure up. We tried to give it away, but we fought through it. I'm also glad it seems we've found our kicker in Wesley Walls. IMO, its better to have the kicker on your roster rather than needing to recruit one.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
My issue with going for it at the end of the first half was that UNC had just kicked a FG on their last series to cut the lead to 11. We were also getting the ball to start the 2nd half. I’m ok with most of PJ’s decision making on 4th down but you also have to take into account the situation. In that situation, taking the 3 points, adding to the lead and getting momentum back just before half seemed to be the most sensible call.

7 > 3

dubjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
After watching the game late last night when it was 28-28 I knew we were going to lose the game. We had nothing going for us and our past teams don’t win that game. This team fought through mistakes and adversity to win the game. I am super proud of them and can’t wait to beat D U.
I love that TQM was the inspirational leader even though he wasn’t playing! Say what want about him, according the sideline reporter he is the one who picked the team up when we were down!
One more thing, we made a field goal and it looked good from many more yards.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
When the situation presented itself on 4th down, I was sitting on my couch begging him to go for it. To me, that was the right call. The only thing I would add is that we should have tried to draw them off first. I believe we had a TO left. They were really itching to jump and we wouldn't have even had to run a play.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Tough road win. After seeing us fall apart many times, it was nice to take back the game after letting them back in it.
—We basically had 5 turnovers. 3 fumbles and 2 4th down fails. They were spread around so no one guy gets the blame, but luckily we were playing Carolina.
—I thought the D played well in spurts but had a down third qtr. i thought we would win a shootout, but they came up with two huge plays at the end of the game, and held them in check in the first half.
—Cottrell has some good runs, but on one long run he ran straight to the defender. You have to finish those runs. Same with Jerry, he had a 10 yard run that should have been a TD. The pass catch could have went farther. I’m not nitpicking because they both ran hard and had big plays. But you only have some many plays that are blocked well enough to bust it. Can’t waste them
— Taquon is still hurt. I think first game Taquon runs the second big run into the end zone. After he went down you can see him frustrated. We need to sit him until he is fully healed unless Toby can’t go.
— I agreed with the first half 4th down call, not so much at midfield.
— Big game by Qua. I love the Aback seam route, and hope since we have a big QB again that we will see it return to a more prominent role, especially since all of our speed is at Aback instead of receiver.
Also loved seeing the cross buck runs again. They were all positive plays for us.
—St.Amour is a player. I was also proud of the LB corps, which has had a rough year, but really laid some lumber this game. It was nice to see us punch the other team in the mouth for once.

We must protect the football, and keep getting it from other teams. Miami and Virginia aren’t great teams, so we should have a good shot against both if we protect the football. UGA, while good, isn’t nearly as good as they were last year on D. But that will take a great game from all three phases to win.

GTThor

Jolly Good Fellow
Definitely glad we won, but let's be honest, that was two bad football teams trying to give each other the game. A lack of ball security has and will continue to cost this team if it doesn't improve. It's not the coaches fault. This is a flaw of the athletes. The good thing is that it can be fixed.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer

Getting the ball back in the second half is the biggest reason it made sense to go for it. Worst case, if we don’t get it, we pin them inside the 10 and still get the ball next to score (which we did). Best case, we score twice in a row and damn near put the game away. If UNC was to get the ball next, I would have leaned more heavily to take the 3 points.

My bigger point though was that I thought it was a tough call. I would have no problem with either decision or with anyone that would have kicked if it was their choice. I just have a problem with anyone who is saying that CPJ obviously made the wrong call.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Definitely should have kicked the field goal... Easy to say that when we know they didn't get the 4th down, but in that situation it erases their only offensive points and you immediately get the ball back. Changes the entire game. But when you run for damn near 500 yards on someone CPJ can't help but think he can get 1-2 yards whenever he wants.

Animal02

Banned
Definitely should have kicked the field goal... Easy to say that when we know they didn't get the 4th down, but in that situation it erases their only offensive points and you immediately get the ball back. Changes the entire game. But when you run for damn near 500 yards on someone CPJ can't help but think he can get 1-2 yards whenever he wants.
CPJ has said more than once, if you can’t get one yard on a play, you don’t deserve to win the game. We lost to Pitt two years ago from a similar lack of 1 yard gain

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
CPJ saw 3 minutes on the clock and history says we trade a ??risky?? (kicking has been an issue) 3 points and give them get a TD. He was thinking TD now and TD after the half to seal the deal. Also, have we kicked a field goal this year until this game? Wells may have bought some credit and CPJ may be willing to go for the FG.

Milwaukee

Banned
YELLOOOOOOOOOW!!!!!!!

Still excited about this game. We finally overcame obstacles, we took shots to the chin and stayed up and punched back. That was the calmest I've ever been during an 18pt run being made by an opposing team. You could feel that the guys weren't letting this one go like they have in the past. Defense stepped up and made the play to win the game. I'm still on cloud 9, don't give a damn if it was UNC or Mercer, we learned how to get up and rebound yesterday imo.

YELLOOOOOOOW!!!!!!!

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
YELLOOOOOOOOOW!!!!!!!

Still excited about this game. We finally overcame obstacles, we took shots to the chin and stayed up and punched back. That was the calmest I've ever been during an 18pt run being made by an opposing team. You could feel that the guys weren't letting this one go like they have in the past. Defense stepped up and made the play to win the game. I'm still on cloud 9, don't give a damn if it was UNC or Mercer, we learned how to get up and rebound yesterday imo.

YELLOOOOOOOW!!!!!!!

JACKETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!