GT v Tarholes Post Game

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The Football Gods: Does either team want give up the game, now that you're playing?
Tech: Sure. We've given up at least two games. Besides, they're having a bad time this year.
UNC: No, we can't allow that. Giving the other team the game is a signature for us this season!
Tech: Yes, but we've been doing it too.
UNC: No, no. Please allow us to give you the game, now that it's actually in question.
Tech: Oh, alright, if you insist.

That was what it was like. Some thoughts:

• Coach was right; the G-C-G was getting beat pretty constantly for some reason. But … you clog the middle and the edges get vulnerable. I hope Hansen is ok, but Brad looked fine backing up.

• And things were going so well. The Two-Headed Monster had 130 yards rushing. And two fumbles, one leading to a score. Something has to be done about this going into the last three games.

• I think next year might be Cottrell's year. He showed what he can do with enough carries yesterday. If Benson comes back - make it so - and Mason moves to AB, we will have a pretty deadly combo out there. Losing Lynch will be tough, but it looks like we might do ok.

• Tobias ran a counter option! True, he looked a spastic stork when he did it, but it worked. Btw, I think he might have won the starting nod. Like others here, it looks to me like TaQuon is still hurting; he isn't moving with the fluidity he had earlier.

• We completed two passes! True, Qua had to almost stop at mid-field to catch the long TD pass, but for a first long throw in a game it wasn't bad. The timing comes with practice.

• And the D won the game in the 4th. Two interceptions late will make life difficult for the best team and this UNC outfit isn't that. They are like FSU this year; loaded with talent and unable to use it effectively. It's a puzzle why.

• I now think we are 50-50% for the next two games and, given how LSU ate the Dwags lunch on the ground, things might be interesting down in Athens.

GTThor

Jolly Good Fellow
I wish this forum had a not like button. We are NOT a bad team. We may not be a great team, but we are certainly not a bad team.
I'm sorry you don't like it. Really, I wish it wasn't true. We make to many mistakes to beat a good team. Mistakes cost us against South Florida, Pitt, and Duke. Right now we just aren't very good.
I'm not trying to troll or be Debbie Downer. Just watch and pay attention yourself.

Good thing is the next two teams aren't very good either.

UGA is good.
Clemson is very good!

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
"Not very good" is not a right description.... The offense has issues passing, the offense has a fumbling issue, the defense is learning a new scheme. The O can move the ball very well and is ranked top 20. The D has some growing pains, but has jumped up on creating turnovers. Special teams started out very poorly, but has made a significant improvement.

If the team does not lose the turnover battle, they can be good on a bad, not so bad, good, great scale or rank 25 to 35 by end of the year. If the defense continues to improve we could be in the top 25 this year by winning out.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Yes, I used to be ambivalent about both them and Duke and now I can't stand either one of them but for slightly different reasons. Imagine a long time Tech fan getting worked up over UNC and Duke. What is the world coming to when in the old days the big games were UGA, Auburn, Tennessee and Alabama.

If you are only now coming to dislike Puke and UNCheat...you must not have followed basketball back in the day.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'm sorry you don't like it. Really, I wish it wasn't true. We make to many mistakes to beat a good team. Mistakes cost us against South Florida, Pitt, and Duke. Right now we just aren't very good.
I'm not trying to troll or be Debbie Downer. Just watch and pay attention yourself.

Good thing is the next two teams aren't very good either.

UGA is good.
Clemson is very good!

Pitt and Duke are probably the two best teams in the coastal. Some of bad GT showing up vs them is probably attributable to them.

We have to secure the ball better. The secondary has to play the ball in the air better. We do those things and good GT will do fun things.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
There's been a lot of discussion in the post-game thread on CPJ's decision to go for it rather than kick the field goal at the end of the first half. On the way into the locker room he admitted he made a bad call and should have kicked it, but he was being really aggressive. Here I am going to "show my work", kicking the field goal was the correct decision.

Rather than looking at a football score in terms of points, look at it in terms of how many possessions the lead equates to. A 7 or 8 point lead is a 1 possession lead, with one drive the opponent can tie the game. Whether an opponent will Go For Two needs to factor into your decision making, but since this is in the first half and it's far too early to attempt two point conversions we'll say a 7 point lead is a 1 possession lead. What is a 4 point lead? A 4 point lead is a .5 possession lead, you are in the lead but one drive from the opponent results in you trailing by 3 and now trailing by .5 possessions.

So, let's consider two different scores at the end of the first half. First, a hypothetical 20-10 lead. This is a 1.5 possession lead, with two scoring drives the opponent takes the lead in the game. If you kick a field goal in this situation the lead increases to 13 points, which is still a 1.5 possession game. Fourth and 2 is riskier than fourth and 1, but by all means go for it. When you go for the first down you aren't risking much of anything at all.

The actual score on Saturday was 21-10. Kicking the field goal increases the lead to 14 points, which changes the lead from a 1.5 possession lead to a 2 possession lead. Two scores from the opponent and then you possess the ball in a tied game instead of trailing. That is a meaningful difference. Kicking the field goal has an immediate effect that makes it more difficult for the opponent to win the game, so kick it.

This is a great argument for kicking the fg. And I have no gripes against it. But there are equally valid reasons to go for it instead.

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
Anyone else think that Lynch almost fumbled before he scored his TD. Looked like he was moving the ball getting ready to extend toward the pylon when a UNC player touched the ball. He regained control and got it across the goal line. If he had fumbled out the back of the end zone then, I don't think we win.

It looked to me like the defender swiped and hit the ball. Lynch had to reset before diving for the score.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
The point is that you can star in the NFL coming from ANY program. You don’t need to be running wideass open in the SEC or Big 12 all day catching passes or catching dink & dunk 3 yarders in college to be an NFL WR. You also don’t need to be in a bear huggin’ Pro Style offense as an OL.

The NFL drafts on physical measurables. You’re either big enough, strong enough or fast enough to play or you’re not.

And Production.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The point is that you can star in the NFL coming from ANY program. You don’t need to be running wideass open in the SEC or Big 12 all day catching passes or catching dink & dunk 3 yarders in college to be an NFL WR. You also don’t need to be in a bear huggin’ Pro Style offense as an OL.

The NFL drafts on physical measurables. You’re either big enough, strong enough or fast enough to play or you’re not.
My favorite was Otis Sistrunk who used to play for the Raiders. When he was playing, they sometimes got the starting NFL line-ups to introduce themselves and say what school they went to, like the do today. His reply was always the same:

"Otis Sistrunk. University of Mars."

I believed him.

Deleted member 2897

In the post game press conference Tre Swilling was asked (all this is paraphrasing) if he's started to talk any trash to his Dad and Uncle (Pat and Ken Swilling) yet after having a great 1 handed interception and some other key plays. He said he hasn't really done anything yet to be able to talk trash. "My Dad had something like 7 sacks in a game. I got nothin to talk about yet." Got a good laugh from the press in the room.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
"Not very good" is not a right description.... The offense has issues passing, the offense has a fumbling issue, the defense is learning a new scheme. The O can move the ball very well and is ranked top 20. The D has some growing pains, but has jumped up on creating turnovers. Special teams started out very poorly, but has made a significant improvement.

If the team does not lose the turnover battle, they can be good on a bad, not so bad, good, great scale or rank 25 to 35 by end of the year. If the defense continues to improve we could be in the top 25 this year by winning out.
I have hope for us making a run to end the year. It appeared that on one of the long passes, the qb checked down off the long throw to a wide open receiver.

If we add that to no fumbles, better passing D and s t, could beat some very good teams.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Those were both nice plays by our guys, but the pass Swilling intercepted was badly under thrown. The one ASA got was tipped directly into his hands by the UNC receiver almost five yards away.
Underthrown balls are most often easier for the receiver to catch than the defensive back because they are tracking the ball the whole time. That was a great catch by Swilling. And if you’re trying to say Anri’s catch wasn’t amazing, I don’t know what game you’re watching.