GT v Tarholes Post Game

Deleted member 2897

When the situation presented itself on 4th down, I was sitting on my couch begging him to go for it. To me, that was the right call. The only thing I would add is that we should have tried to draw them off first. I believe we had a TO left. They were really itching to jump and we wouldn't have even had to run a play.

I think it’s helpful to the team to go forward and that such a situation too. Because even if you don’t make it, it’s kind of on the coaches’ back more than the previous team’s play leading up to that point.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I felt like this game has some parallels to USF for us...a dirty game that could have gone either way. Against USF we couldn't get it together and put them away, I believe the team has matured a bit because they were able to do it this time.

Every team has bad games...good teams are able to figure out a way to win them.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
For some reason, we seem to want to give games to UNC and Duke. Remember our only two regular season losses in 2014? Maybe we drove a stake in one of those yesterday after trying to give it away. I still have flashbacks of Malcolm King fumbling into the end zone against UNC in 1987 and that damn tie in 1990 when we ran all over them. Didn't we go something like 50 years without winning at Chapel Hill? I know we didn't play them every year, but damn we have given away a lot of games up there.

BootsCostMoney

Georgia Tech Fan
It’s refreshing to see us win even when we do everything to the contrary to do that. That’s a maturity thing. Gotta remember that the other team has talented players too and that if you let them hang around, they can make you pay. I don’t know why that’s hard for our players to understand. We have games like this every year, even in good years, for as long as I can remember. These guys are so Jekyll and Hyde and I don’t know why. Maybe it’s mental toughness. As far as the fumbles go, these players need to take some responsibility and hold on to the damn ball! It’s on them, they’re the ones toting the rock. Wrap it up!

And as far as the 4th down attempt at the end of the first half, that was a good, calculated call. It didn’t work out and CPJ owned it, not sure what else some of y’all want from him. It’s refreshing to see a coach have some “cajones”. IIWII. Nice to get the W, hope to see some improvements next week. We really screwed ourselves this season but this thing can still be salvaged, I do believe. Gotta keep pounding.

Relentlessly...

Deleted member 2897

If I have told you before the season started that we would win at Louisville, at Virginia Tech, at North Carolina in score an average of 50 points, what would you think I record will be at this point? I would’ve probably said 7-1.

What I think is interesting is I think CPJ does read all the crap written about him and his offense. He reads about how we need to throw the ball 20 times a game......and he is playing in your face by doing just the opposite and winning with it. We are now averaging about 2 throws per game. Like CPJ seems to want to do his prove his point.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
YELLOOOOOOOOOW!!!!!!!

Still excited about this game. We finally overcame obstacles, we took shots to the chin and stayed up and punched back. That was the calmest I've ever been during an 18pt run being made by an opposing team. You could feel that the guys weren't letting this one go like they have in the past. Defense stepped up and made the play to win the game. I'm still on cloud 9, don't give a damn if it was UNC or Mercer, we learned how to get up and rebound yesterday imo.

YELLOOOOOOOW!!!!!!!

Bro I couldn’t agree more. I am the eternal optimist when it comes to GT sports but I continue to be bought in to the team. The fumbles are painful and have to be addressed somehow but it’s a lot of fun to watch this team over the last few games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What game were you watching? Did you not see Tre Swilling snatch an interception with one hand? That was a great play. And ASA’s was a great play dropping into coverage.

Also, coverage looks bad when you don’t get pressure. That was the issue yesterday. We’ve got to do a better job pressuring the QB.
Those were both nice plays by our guys, but the pass Swilling intercepted was badly under thrown. The one ASA got was tipped directly into his hands by the UNC receiver almost five yards away.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Tough road win. After seeing us fall apart many times, it was nice to take back the game after letting them back in it.
—We basically had 5 turnovers. 3 fumbles and 2 4th down fails. They were spread around so no one guy gets the blame, but luckily we were playing Carolina.

We must protect the football, and keep getting it from other teams. Miami and Virginia aren’t great teams, so we should have a good shot against both if we protect the football. UGA, while good, isn’t nearly as good as they were last year on D. But that will take a great game from all three phases to win.

The game definitely didn't start well so credit the boys and coaches for fighting back. The fumbles didn't help.

In general, I don't like to call out specific players or coaches but since PJ already did it I'm going to pile on: Coach Candeto, you've been straight up called out by CPJ in the post-game presser. CPJ said (paraphrased): "WE'VE GOT TO COACH IT BETTER. ALL THE FUMBLES ARE COMING FROM ONE POSITION GROUP." I think he's lumping the B-Backs with the QBs because if you look over the last few games where we've really turned it over (Duke and yesterday) it's been those position groups and that's coached by Candeto. So CCC, fix it NOW. Please.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The game definitely didn't start well so credit the boys and coaches for fighting back. The fumbles didn't help.

In general, I don't like to call out specific players or coaches but since PJ already did it I'm going to pile on: Coach Candeto, you've been straight up called out by CPJ in the post-game presser. CPJ said (paraphrased): "WE'VE GOT TO COACH IT BETTER. ALL THE FUMBLES ARE COMING FROM ONE POSITION GROUP." I think he's lumping the B-Backs with the QBs because if you look over the last few games where we've really turned it over (Duke and yesterday) it's been those position groups and that's coached by Candeto. So CCC, fix it NOW. Please.

Given the continued issues with fumbles, and the fact CPJ had to get personally involved with coaching the QBs. I think there's a decent chance we have a different QB/BB coach next season. Bryan Cook is back on the GT staff, currently in an off-field capacity... maybe he and Candeto swap roles next year?

Big Philly

Jolly Good Fellow
There's been a lot of discussion in the post-game thread on CPJ's decision to go for it rather than kick the field goal at the end of the first half. On the way into the locker room he admitted he made a bad call and should have kicked it, but he was being really aggressive. Here I am going to "show my work", kicking the field goal was the correct decision.

Rather than looking at a football score in terms of points, look at it in terms of how many possessions the lead equates to. A 7 or 8 point lead is a 1 possession lead, with one drive the opponent can tie the game. Whether an opponent will Go For Two needs to factor into your decision making, but since this is in the first half and it's far too early to attempt two point conversions we'll say a 7 point lead is a 1 possession lead. What is a 4 point lead? A 4 point lead is a .5 possession lead, you are in the lead but one drive from the opponent results in you trailing by 3 and now trailing by .5 possessions.

So, let's consider two different scores at the end of the first half. First, a hypothetical 20-10 lead. This is a 1.5 possession lead, with two scoring drives the opponent takes the lead in the game. If you kick a field goal in this situation the lead increases to 13 points, which is still a 1.5 possession game. Fourth and 2 is riskier than fourth and 1, but by all means go for it. When you go for the first down you aren't risking much of anything at all.

The actual score on Saturday was 21-10. Kicking the field goal increases the lead to 14 points, which changes the lead from a 1.5 possession lead to a 2 possession lead. Two scores from the opponent and then you possess the ball in a tied game instead of trailing. That is a meaningful difference. Kicking the field goal has an immediate effect that makes it more difficult for the opponent to win the game, so kick it.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Given the continued issues with fumbles, and the fact CPJ had to get personally involved with coaching the QBs. I think there's a decent chance we have a different QB/BB coach next season. Bryan Cook is back on the GT staff, currently in an off-field capacity... maybe he and Candeto swap roles next year?
Its possible. Dont forget tevin is also on staff .And jet might be open for a graduate assistant position

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
And all three fumbles were not a problem with the mesh - they were like so many other fumbles this year - downfield after we have picked up 3 or 6 or 20 yds. CPJ has to quit calling this fumble play!!
Yep. It is that gosh darned fumble play that Coach Johnson keeps calling. I love the effort and tireless dedication of both Jerry and Mason but I really miss Kirvonte. He just seems a little bit better at making the reads at the mesh. I hope he can come back at full speed but he has had problems with both knees going back to high school.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Those were both nice plays by our guys, but the pass Swilling intercepted was badly under thrown. The one ASA got was tipped directly into his hands by the UNC receiver almost five yards away.
I beg to differ. Swillings pick my have been under thrown a bit, but his coverage was really good regardless and he WON a 50/50 ball. That counts in my mind. This was no "gimme". Additionally, Frenchy anticipated the throw on his pick, as he stepped in front and pulled it away. It was not tipped at all, but rather a very instinctive play. He juggled it slightly, mostly because he was making sure he blocked it first, after all, it was at pretty close range.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Anyone else think that Lynch almost fumbled before he scored his TD. Looked like he was moving the ball getting ready to extend toward the pylon when a UNC player touched the ball. He regained control and got it across the goal line. If he had fumbled out the back of the end zone then, I don't think we win.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Definitely glad we won, but let's be honest, that was two bad football teams trying to give each other the game. A lack of ball security has and will continue to cost this team if it doesn't improve. It's not the coaches fault. This is a flaw of the athletes. The good thing is that it can be fixed.

I wish this forum had a not like button. We are NOT a bad team. We may not be a great team, but we are certainly not a bad team.