GT to play at MB stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc jacket 22

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't think fans are the only one getting "guiced" about the #NewWorldOrder. A friend of mine was on a cruise with a Clemson assistant last week. Direct quote about his thoughts on Georgia Tech: "Geoff Collins is going to make Tech a powerhouse." My point is let's let this thing ride out. If anyone can take advantage of national exposure, it's CGC.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I'm going to offer a few thoughts. Just so everyone knows, I'm neither in favor nor against the idea. Interested in seeing the press conference first, and of course how it plays out later.
Going to Clemson and UGA games the past few years tell me everything I need to know about my fellow fans. I'm not the one who sold tickets to our rivals. If playing at MBS helps us pick up some new fans to replace the "diehards" that sell tickets to UGA and Clemson fans every year that's fine with me.

Again, it's only one game per year. People need to chill out.
I think there's a lot of truth to the bolded part. Let me explain my personal experience...
  • Like Dublin, our "fans" are not necessarily season ticket holders. They are folks looking for an experience. Unique experiences. This fits that bill.
  • My first year out of school we had a block of 15-20 friends as season ticket holders. By a few years ago, while I've mainly been doing media, that block has dwindled to 4-6. When we opened vs. Tennessee @ MBS, that group swelled to 15-20 again.
  • It was NOT Tennessee that drove their interest. It was playing in a nice stadium, out of the elements, non-Noon start, where they could be entertained beyond just the football game. Like many on this message board, this does not describe me as a fan, as I avoid missing a single down of the game no matter the venue, kick time, availability of drinks/concessions, etc.
  • Will playing in MBS reach a point of diminishing returns? Perhaps. Let's see what will be announced and what the long-term plans are.

Some other thoughts that came to mind...
  • Illinois and Northwestern come to mind when I think of teams moving home games in the past. I believe they've played B1G games at Soldier Field. I have no clue how that was received or how it played out from an exposure perspective. Interested in insights there.
  • Along the lines of exposure... I'm not sure how marketable it really is beyond recruiting to play a home game off campus. I generally have no idea when Big 12 teams are playing in Jerry World until I turn on the TV. Likewise, PAC12, B1G, etc. Probably more of a regional exposure thing and also for recruiting.
  • Syracuse used to play ND at MetLife in NYC as their way of contracting games with ND. This is 4 hours from campus. This p***** off a lot of season ticket holders. However, the game catered to a big Cuse NYC fan base. Now that ND is part of the ACC rotation, I do not believe Syracuse intends to play ND there anymore, save for the previously contracted games at the site.
Also
  • To support the hypothesis that this is NOT about long-time season holders and more about generating new interest (as well as financial gains), yesterday non-season ticket holders received the following via text or email: "Hi _______, this is ________ w/ GT Athletics. We have BIG BIG news coming out tomorrow that will impact only GT Football Season Ticket holders for the years to come! You don't want to miss out, so give me a call when you can to secure your seats today."
  • How many existing season ticket holders are not going to renew because of this news? My guess is < 100. I think every season ticket holder on this board will renew. So, if we're likely to pick up more sidewalk, casually interested folks, it seems like an idea worth trying, even if it breaks a small amount of eggs along the way.
  • Hopefully if it doesn't work, we have an exit strategy. No 7-year permanent rollover contracts, please...

slugboy

Staff member
If there were easy answers, the previous ADs would have chosen them.

{Under Braine}: We're stuck in the past. He's sitting on his butt and not doing anything. He's got no guts as an AD.
{Under DRad}: He just wants to spend money in buildings. He doesn't get out there and do the things that ADs should do. He's got no guts as an AD.
{Under MBob}: He's not doing anything. He's not raising any money. We're stuck in the past. He's got no guts as an AD.
{Under TStan}: He's changing our cherished traditions and home field advantage!

We wanted a decisive AD who would raise money so we could compete. I think it looks like this.

Maybe this doesn't work. What else should he have done?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Agree. I have had tickets in 106 for years, 40+ years of season tickets. At the UT game we were on the side of the end zone. From the 50 to the -5 yd line is not a fair move.

The game with Tennessee was officially at a neutral site. This will be officially a home game, and there should be no reason not to expect comparable seating. If you're on the 50 at BDS, you should be on the 50 at MBS.

chicoGT

Georgia Tech Fan
I wonder if there is a demographic that is not interested in season tickets, but would be attracted to a once a year big event. I don't like thought of orange of red dominated home game, but with a proactive thinking and aggressive AD & HC, maybe this is a vehicle to bring those tech alumni and potential supporters into the fold??

stech81

Helluva Engineer
The game with Tennessee was officially at a neutral site. This will be officially a home game, and there should be no reason not to expect comparable seating. If you're on the 50 at BDS, you should be on the 50 at MBS.
Don't know for a fact but don't think this would be the case at MBS not sure the ones with a license for the seats at MBS keep their rights and have an option to those tickets first.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
First, you already assume we will get pounded, even though we put up a ton of points and went into quadruple overtime or something the last time we played there. Then you assume that the stadium will be filled with opposing fans. The solution to that is to fill the stadium with GT fans, or at least make it 50/50 or 60/40. If we aren't capable of doing that, even with all the enthusiasm around the program, fine, pack it in, give it up and be Vandy-lite.

As far as alienating the tiny season ticket fanbase goes, the whole point is that we aren't satisfied with a tiny fanbase that just comes to games to sit and reminisce. We want more fans, sidewalk fans and we want them loud and shoot, maybe even a little obnoxious themselves.

Honestly, I was iffy on this plan when I first heard about it, but now that I see the reasons people are against it, I am liking it more.
We have been pounded for 5 of last 6 uga / Clemson games. That's one reason why coaching change occurred.
The most vocal winner doesnt attend games. He seems to think we are legendary .

As an elderly attendee- the stairs are too steep for wife's knees and seats are uncomfortable.

How bout w drop the elon games and meeting a quality opponent in mbs. We are ATL! Ucf, auburn, u of h??

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I get the angst about losing a home game at BDS. But:
  • This addresses many of the "fan experience" complaints: better concessions, no noon August heat, better seats...
  • It will get us a lot of talk, excitement and positive press
  • We need $$$ to catch up in the arms race
  • We don't know what is going to be announced, be pretty funny if it turns out we're playing the ACCN kickoff at MBS instead of at Clemson or be in the CFA kickoff game against Auburn or some other wholly positive development.
What if- TStan is contracting to play one 'home game' at MBS per year with the expectation it will be a big time OOC opponent? Teams that wouldn't schedule us for love or money when we played the 30. But, would jump at the opportunity to play in MBS and split a payout... Personally, I'd happily trade an August noon game against a G5/FCS opponent for a neutral site dome national TV game against a P5 opponent. Especially if there's more money in it.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Listening to WSB this am, the comment re Falcons attendance was “This isa collegefootball town”.

Yes, it is.

It did not hurt Bama in the least to play at Legion Field. We’re talking two miles and playing in a very nice stadium. With hotels close by.

Personally, I think its an awesome move given the size of our fanbase. It’s Ireland without customs.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Don't know for a fact but don't think this would be the case at MBS not sure the ones with a license for the seats at MBS keep their rights and have an option to those tickets first.

But even after those people are taken care of, there will still be plenty of good seats for season ticket holders, I would think - comparable to seats they have in BDS.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer

This is largely my take. For me, the key will be that I would want Tech fans to get the first opportunity to buy at least 70% of the tickets and have them all located, on both sides, between the 10 yard lines, with the exception of an enzone for the students. Offer the other endzone and upper sections to the visitors. Now, if Tech fans can't purchase their allotment, the remaining tickets should be opened up to opposing fans and we really can't complain.

I don't love this, but think it could be good. Tech fans actually showed really well for the UT game in MBS and it was fun. Like Cuse, my group has gone through some attrition over the last 10 years (mostly due to life, not the team), but they ALL showed up for the UT game. It was a fun event. It will certainly be good for Tech's budget.

Also, for those that only went to the UT game in MBS, I think the stadium has gotten better and find it a fantastic experience for ATL United games. Just don't sit way up above the halo boards like our tickets were alloted for Tennessee!

Status
Not open for further replies.