GT to play at MB stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I guess we should just play all away games for the cash then...no need to worry about home fans:rolleyes:

When the home fans care then they can gripe

The audacity of our fans right now.

Attachments

• CCAFA67C-5C7E-4040-975A-E554AF50C4F8.jpeg
    CCAFA67C-5C7E-4040-975A-E554AF50C4F8.jpeg
    48.4 KB · Views: 43

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Against marquee programs they have already basically been defacto road games in our own STADIUM. Have you been to the UGA or Clemson games within the past 5 years?
Do you want to make that exponential? Do you want it 2/3 to 3/4 drunk rednecks? How in hades does that help our brand/recruiting especially while getting pounded on national television?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Against a factory program, which is the only thing that makes any sense, these games will be defacto road games in our own backyard. How does getting pounded on national tv in a huge stadium filled with opposing fans partying for cameras help our brand/recruiting?

The biggest risk is alienating an already tiny season ticket fanbase who most primarily go to games to spend time on their alma mater campus to reminisce with old school chums and their families. GT/BDS way more family friendly than defacto away game across town surrounded by a sea of drunk/obnoxious enemy fans.

First, you already assume we will get pounded, even though we put up a ton of points and went into quadruple overtime or something the last time we played there. Then you assume that the stadium will be filled with opposing fans. The solution to that is to fill the stadium with GT fans, or at least make it 50/50 or 60/40. If we aren't capable of doing that, even with all the enthusiasm around the program, fine, pack it in, give it up and be Vandy-lite.

As far as alienating the tiny season ticket fanbase goes, the whole point is that we aren't satisfied with a tiny fanbase that just comes to games to sit and reminisce. We want more fans, sidewalk fans and we want them loud and shoot, maybe even a little obnoxious themselves.

Honestly, I was iffy on this plan when I first heard about it, but now that I see the reasons people are against it, I am liking it more.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
There is no upside outside of a cash
grab. NFL stadiums are a horrible environment for college games. This is not rebuilding a brand, this is pulling it apart to make a quick buck.
One of the biggest pieces of Tech's "brand" is it's traditions. From playing in the oldest D1 field, the stadium in the heart of the campus, the whistle, the Varsity post game, etc. etc.
This is a sellout plain and simple.
You want the comforts of the NFL.....mgo cheer for the falcons.
So if my opinion differs from yours on this, you want me, a loyal Tech grad and fan, to watch Falcon football instead of supporting Georgia Tech. Very smart! I am glad you have nothing officially to do with our AA.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
First, you already assume we will get pounded, even though we put up a ton of points and went into quadruple overtime or something the last time we played there. Then you assume that the stadium will be filled with opposing fans. The solution to that is to fill the stadium with GT fans, or at least make it 50/50 or 60/40. If we aren't capable of doing that, even with all the enthusiasm around the program, fine, pack it in, give it up and be Vandy-lite.

As far as alienating the tiny season ticket fanbase goes, the whole point is that we aren't satisfied with a tiny fanbase that just comes to games to sit and reminisce. We want more fans, sidewalk fans and we want them loud and shoot, maybe even a little obnoxious themselves.

Honestly, I was iffy on this plan when I first heard about it, but now that I see the reasons people are against it, I am liking it more.
Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. This sets up as a massive national embarrassment and a major backfire.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
Do you want to make that exponential? Do you want it 2/3 to 3/4 drunk rednecks? How in hades does that help our brand/recruiting especially while getting pounded on national television?

Why do you keep saying we will get "pounded on national television" - you know we can win the game too right? And you do realize winning on national TV like that would be huge for our brand?

Our "fans" sell out to UGA and Clemson fans every year anyway, so I don't really care where we play.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Why do you keep saying we will get "pounded on national television" - you know we can win the game too right? And you do realize winning on national TV like that would be huge for our brand?

Our "fans" sell out to UGA and Clemson fans every year anyway, so I don't really care where we play.
I wonder if you will feel the same way the day after this PR debacle happens.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
There is no upside outside of a cash
grab. NFL stadiums are a horrible environment for college games. This is not rebuilding a brand, this is pulling it apart to make a quick buck.
One of the biggest pieces of Tech's "brand" is it's traditions. From playing in the oldest D1 field, the stadium in the heart of the campus, the whistle, the Varsity post game, etc. etc.
This is a sellout plain and simple.
You want the comforts of the NFL.....mgo cheer for the falcons.

I do. MBS is nice, real nice. Playing there doesn’t seem to hurt Bama. Why not utilize and maximize Atlanta? That’s the brand move. GT is Atlanta’s team. Will there be more Clemson or ND fans, possibly and? I’ve been to the FSU, Clemson, & UGA games and it doesn’t appear to be much of a home field at BDS. If you don’t like it, get more fans to show up. Get greater exposure, get more revenue, win win if you ask me.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Once again, that’s not a Tech problem.
That’s a Tech fan problem. We can control what the stadium look every game no matter if it’s at BDS or 1.8 miles away at MBS View attachment 5268
Yes it's a fan problem but it's also a gt alumni problem. Champagne taste and beer budget. Added 100,000,000 debt in 10-12. Now most college athletic dept debt is 60,000,000 and our ACC brothers are at average of 80,000,000. We are at 220,000,000. Gt is at bottom of revenue @ 86,000,000.
We are debt legends.
Poor tstan - so many poor alumns

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
That tells me all I need to know

Going to Clemson and UGA games the past few years tell me everything I need to know about my fellow fans. I'm not the one who sold tickets to our rivals. If playing at MBS helps us pick up some new fans to replace the "diehards" that sell tickets to UGA and Clemson fans every year that's fine with me.

Again, it's only one game per year. People need to chill out.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. This sets up as a massive national embarrassment and a major backfire.

Or we could show up, bring a friend or 3 or 5 and cheer our team on to a statement victory.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained, they say.

For fans of an Institute that churns out world changers and innovators, we sure have a "can't do" attitude.

Last edited:

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
It's a way to make money people. Until more fans show up they have to make moves to make money. Everyone is taking a tidbit of info and running wild with it.

The days of hardcore fans are done. New generations have the attention span of a goldfish. GT showed up late to a party. You'll soon see other teams not filling stadiums unless its marquee games. Bama had that problem last year.

Sports as a whole will have to provide more than just the sport if they want to attract casual fans. That's the challenge of a fan base that was raised with cell phones. One thing is never enough for the majority of our society.

Just because we are the exception and we have opinions about those facts, it doesn't change that they are facts.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Yes it's a fan problem but it's also a gt alumni problem. Champagne taste and beer budget. Added 100,000,000 debt in 10-12. Now most college athletic dept debt is 60,000,000 and our ACC brothers are at average of 80,000,000. We are at 220,000,000. Gt is at bottom of revenue @ 86,000,000.
We are debt legends.
Poor tstan - so many poor alumns

So all the Elitist, who are always crapping on UGA doesn’t like to spend money?!?! Say it ain’t so.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I do. MBS is nice, real nice. Playing there doesn’t seem to hurt Bama. Why not utilize and maximize Atlanta? That’s the brand move. GT is Atlanta’s team. Will there be more Clemson or ND fans, possibly and? I’ve been to the FSU, Clemson, & UGA games and it doesn’t appear to be much of a home field at BDS. If you don’t like it, get more fans to show up. Get greater exposure, get more revenue, win win if you ask me.
Ok let's look at the facts , Alabama did not give up a home game to play there last year or the year before. Now let's be honest if Tech does not make this a home game to included in the season package how many fans will pay more ? You want exposure but do you really want people to see that a Stadium less than 2 miles away we can't sale 50% of the tickets. ( welcome to MBS to see the Atlanta yellow jackets play)

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
We are getting ran out of our own stadium by Clemson and Notre Dame fans anyways. That isn’t going to change in the next couple years so at the very least you might as well cash in on it and hope in a few years we have the support to actually play these games at Bobby Dodd.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It's all about the money...

"As a result of its coaching transition, Tech’s athletic department finds itself in a financial pinch and perhaps more interested than usual in moving home games out of Bobby Dodd Stadium for the right price. The change from Paul Johnson to Collins cost about $6 million, and the athletic department was already anticipating running a deficit of $2.8 million for the 2020 fiscal year. The changeover will deplete the department’s reserve fund, which stood at about $6.65 million at the start of the fiscal year in July."

More money for RECRUITING, I hope...

Status
Not open for further replies.