GT to play at MB stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Animal02

Banned
You're welcome to your opinion, but if there's one thing I'll say, Todd Stansbury is not shortsighted.

He's the only AD since Homer Rice to develop a coherent plan to put all of GT Athletics in a position to compete in the near & long term, as well as putting the personal effort to go out and raise the funds.

Additionally, you can not like it, but it's easy to counteract your argument by noting that our new head football coach can go out and sell recruits on playing top flight opponents in an NFL stadium, likely garnering high level exposure. Certainly sounds like a long term investment in the future to me.
If playing in an NFL stadium was such a great recruiting tool......Pitt and UM would be playing for the NC every year. The fact is they are middle of the road, with abysmal fan bases. If that is the type of programs you want to copy....you really are shorth sighted.
Every AD is supposed to go out and raise funds.....so him doing that is nothing special.

Bodidley2

Georgia Tech Fan
I think playing a game each year at MBS is a great idea! A lot more revenue [ $3,000,000] and the PR will be great. I think recruits will really like the idea of playing in an NFL stadium on national TV. Embracing Atlanta needs to be a part of our strategy

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I've got to laugh at the people calling out people for mad at this. We only have one of the most legendary stadiums with the best backdrop in all of CFB. Why wouldn't i be mad about this?
I
Putting the $$$$ ahead of everything else is short sighted and not good long term investments. Especially when it means just selling more tickets to opponents fans.

Are u aware of our debt to income ratio?
We make interest only payments of about 10,000,000 on debt of 200,000,000 plus.

Animal02

Banned
If you want must watch TV than don't play any home games. Personally I don't want to be like Miami and Pitt I want to go to real home games at BDS.
GMTA........yeah...lets copy Pitt and and UM.
I Would love to play either FSU or ND there every year. Make it must watch TV.
Yes.......give up the home field advantage and atmosphere to sell more tickets to opponent fans..........lets just tear down BDS and play all the games there.....I am sure Tech could use the real estate more productively. :rolleyes:

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Well, we all cannot consistently fill up our own home stadium for every game, so that AD Stansbury has to look for money from other sources.

Stansbury is doing his job from a strictly business perspective.
So you want to approach it like David Branden did with Toys R US ? We could do like D 3 teams and play all our games on road and ask for a big payout.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
If playing in an NFL stadium was such a great recruiting tool......Pitt and UM would be playing for the NC every year. The fact is they are middle of the road, with abysmal fan bases. If that is the type of programs you want to copy....you really are shorth sighted.
Every AD is supposed to go out and raise funds.....so him doing that is nothing special.

You can't compare MBS to Pitt or Miami's stadiums. MBS is one of the most prestigious stadiums in the WORLD, and is the center of the CFB universe. You don't see national championship games being played in Pittsburgh. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

stech81

Helluva Engineer
You can't compare MBS to Pitt or Miami's stadiums. MBS is one of the most prestigious stadiums in the WORLD, and is the center of the CFB universe. You don't see national championship games being played in Pittsburgh. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Ask yourself one question would Alabama , UGA, Auburn, or Clemson give up a home game to play in MBS they work out playing 7 home games a year and 8 if they can ? Why not just let Tech's baseball team stop playing at Tech and play their home games at SunTrust Park .

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
Ask yourself one question would Alabama , UGA, Auburn, or Clemson give up a home game to play in MBS ? Why not just let Tech's baseball team stop playing at Tech and play their home games at SunTrust Park .

People are acting like we are giving up our entire schedule to play them all at MBS. I don't understand the outrage of having one less home game to help us in other important areas such as recruiting and finances. It's a fair trade off and will pay off if it helps us bring in big time players, it will also help our brand nationally.

ETA: Bama plays neutral site games every year, seems to be working ok for them.

Animal02

Banned
So you want to approach it like David Branden did with Toys R US ? We could do like D 3 teams and play all our games on road and ask for a big payout.
Now there is an idea.......lets tear down BDS, the land can be used for more dorms.....that will raise a lot of $$$$. Play all road games....who cares if we go 2-10 every year.....will not have to worry about a fan base, going to a money losing bowl, disrput parking on campus, save a boatload of $$$ on security costs. Just take the payout from each team wanting an easy win.
Here is another way TS can raise additional funds.
http://www.scoresreport.com/2009/05/15/delaware-state-forfeits-game-so-it-can-play-michigan-cash-in/

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer

No. We just need the money right now, to keep from going into insurmountable future debt.

I’m hoping it is for the short term, rather than as a permanent thing.

Animal02

Banned
No. We just need the money right now, to keep from going into insurmountable future debt.

I’m hoping it is for the short term, rather than as a permanent thing.
But so many posters here have insisted we should scrap the FCS game (getting an extra home game every other year and the $$$ that come with it) in order to play teams like Auburn etc.
So now all of a sudden, $$$$ is more important. :rolleyes:

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
People are acting like we are giving up our entire schedule to play them all at MBS. I don't understand the outrage of having one less home game to help us in other important areas such as recruiting and finances. It's a fair trade off and will pay off if it helps us bring in big time players, it will also help our brand nationally.

ETA: Bama plays neutral site games every year, seems to be working ok for them.
But not at the cost of a home game.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

One showcase game a year in a top flight NFL stadium is not the same as playing your full home schedule in one.

I agree it's every AD's job to raise funds, but you try to utilize that to deflect the fact that Todd is actually doing it for us compared to our past 3 ADs, who either didn't do it or did it when convenient for them.

This is an opportunity to potentially raise significant, incremental funds, but also potentially attract new sidewalk fans and excite recruits.

Traditions are great. BDS is great. Doesn't mean we shouldn't try something new, which doesn't mean permanent, that might create a benefit for the GTAA.

Animal02

Banned
My favorite part of this entire thread is all the butt hurt about something that hasn't even been announced. The plan could totally suck, or it might not. We don't know anything about anything yet. LOL.
It is based on giving up a home game to play down the street.
Completely different if it were giving up a FCS game for a neutral site game and a bigger payday.

Status
Not open for further replies.