GT Primary Colors debate

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
It was consistent with the 1968 helmet.... def old gold, darker than whatever Dodd last used gold hats....1964?

Past 10 years? Not that I can recall.... too much trying to be trendy..... not that anyone cares, but I would prefer either our 1969-71 hats or the 1972-1973 ones..... or even the ones worn by Brent Key for GOL.

As for uni's, we hated the ones we wore that were the model for the UVA Calvin Johnson game. We wanted the classic Dodd look which Carson absolutely refused to consider.

Funky uniforms? Perhaps someone can find the ones Pepper dreamed up with a yellow mesh jersey, UCLA shoulder stripes, over white pants. IIRC, it was a game vs Clem's Son. IMNSHO, those ranked down there with the honeycombs.
Thanks for the "memories".

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
This pic keyed up a memory..... we didn't used to get new uni's every year.... the Senior Equipment Manager, Sgt Edgar Hodges, would squeeze every nickle in his budget & if a pair of game pants could make it an extra season, or if a jersey just needed a hole sewn up to be used again, so be it. Reeder & McGaughey, our local equipment supplier, evidently understood Sarge, as cantankerous as they come. Helmets might get sent off to Riddell to get refurbished between seasons, or repainted by our Student Managers between games.

All that to say you might see color variations from game to game, season to season, just based on the age of the piece and how many times it had been washed. The mid '50s & '60s were pretty consistent until Dodd intro'd the white hats in IIRC '65. Then things started changing almost annually.
Reeder and McGaughey...I hadn't heard that name in perhaps 40-50 years. :)

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Got my first GT jersey at their N DeKalb Mall store in the 9th grade and my first pair of hockey skates in the 11th.

Speaking of which, the N DeKalb Mall is no more - gone like the Edge.
Been by lately? They should be starting real soon on Rich's.

Ramble1885

proud sidewalk fan
Does anyone ever know WHY Carson changed up the look in the late 60’s? I have no problem with it but looking back that was such a drastic change from what Tech had worn under Dodd. Yes that had white helmets late in the Dodd years but still the gold tops was quite a radical change.

Schlandy

Georgia Tech Fan
I’ve conclude my issue isn’t as much with the Navy, it’s the amount we use it and more importantly just that we use a shade that makes the gold look bad. Sell some gold merch and darken up that blue and I’m happy camper. I do think it looks pretty tacky right now though and much of the merchandise sold primarily by Adidas falls squarely in that category.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I’ve conclude my issue isn’t as much with the Navy, it’s the amount we use it and more importantly just that we use a shade that makes the gold look bad. Sell some gold merch and darken up that blue and I’m happy camper. I do think it looks pretty tacky right now though and much of the merchandise sold primarily by Adidas falls squarely in that category.
I agree with that, the current shade of blue is an abomination- go 1990 blue with it or gtfo

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
Does anyone ever know WHY Carson changed up the look in the late 60’s? I have no problem with it but looking back that was such a drastic change from what Tech had worn under Dodd. Yes that had white helmets late in the Dodd years but still the gold tops was quite a radical change.
Budro was the man who followed a legend & wanted to change anything & everything associated with Dodd, in spite of the fact Dodd had brought him from South Carolina. Sound familiar? It took Bud a year, but in 1968 these came out.

Joel Stevenson vs TCU 1968.jpg

As players, as I've said many times, we wanted the GT look/brand as established by Dodd. Carson would have none of it. Just another dumb/stupid thing done by the HFC with a Napoleanic complex.

Ramble1885

proud sidewalk fan
Budro was the man who followed a legend & wanted to change anything & everything associated with Dodd, in spite of the fact Dodd had brought him from South Carolina. Sound familiar? It took Bud a year, but in 1968 these came out.

View attachment 16537

As players, as I've said many times, we wanted the GT look/brand as established by Dodd. Carson would have none of it. Just another dumb/stupid thing done by the HFC with a Napoleanic complex.
that must've been '68 and the white helmets came in '69.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

View attachment 16537

I get dumping on Carson but some the uniform changes took hold. I don’t think I can ever “unsee” the interlocking GT that he added.

There were two versions of the GT and the players voted on their favorite but the other version was very cool too and I wouldn’t mind see it as a once every few year alternative, kind of like when Notre Dame wears green jerseys.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I get dumping on Carson but some the uniform changes took hold. I don’t think I can ever “unsee” the interlocking GT that he added.

There were two versions of the GT and the players voted on their favorite but the other version was very cool too and I wouldn’t mind see it as a once every few year alternative, kind of like when Notre Dame wears green jerseys.

What did the other GT look like? Any pics or can you do a sample drawing? Never heard of another GT.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
What did the other GT look like? Any pics or can you do a sample drawing? Never heard of another GT.
If you tell me how to do a sample drawing I can do a facsimile.

Think about how the SF interlocks on 49niners helmet. It was like that or a little like the NY Mets logo.

Tech used the two GTs in practice before picking one.

Ramble1885

proud sidewalk fan
If you tell me how to do a sample drawing I can do a facsimile.

Think about how the SF interlocks on 49niners helmet. It was like that or a little like the NY Mets logo.

Tech used the two GTs in practice before picking one.
Neat! I never knew that. I still like the one we use now bc it’s unique. The G and T practically morph into each other.

GT flunkout

Jolly Good Fellow

Absolutely. Blue is the accent and trim color, the alternate color. Should be present, but should never be the primary color in any setting or arrangement that isn't clearly "alternate." Nowhere is this more grating to me than with what they've done to our endzones and all of the signage in the stadium.

Agreed on the shade of blue. Adidas made it significantly lighter around 2017. Gross. It should be almost black, like Yankees blue. The 2006 ACCCG alternate unis are a good example.

GT flunkout

Jolly Good Fellow
Also, we must be the only school that uses a different logo on our helmet than in every other representation. The distinctive GT on the helmets is beautiful, hopefully it never changes, I wish we used it on everything.

Ramble1885

proud sidewalk fan
Also, we must be the only school that uses a different logo on our helmet than in every other representation. The distinctive GT on the helmets is beautiful, hopefully it never changes, I wish we used it on everything.
I like that the helmet logo is different. LSU's helmet text is slightly different than their actual logo as well.