GT Primary Colors debate

Ramble1885

proud sidewalk fan
Surprised no one has mentioned the $$$$ efforts of the late Charlotte banker Drew Hearn (for those who came in late, yes, the father of C Andy Hearn, 1984-1985) in the '80s & '90s to persuade Curry, Ross, Cremins, et al, to eliminate blue from our uni's.

Our 1968 Freshman Team wore the Dodd-era (used by Carson for 1967 only) Varsity uni's - here's a cropped shot of my late teammate late Jeff "Boom Boom" Baker - with black numbers and the three stripes were black-gold-black.
View attachment 16515

Fulcher brought back a version in 1972-1973, but with only two stripes.... and I won't get into the argument over black vs blue.... I just don't remember.... but the "names on the jersey" was a Fulcher add-on for the "locker room."

Here's a crop shot of of former Coca Cola exec, Karl "PeeWee" Barnes wearing that uni....
View attachment 16514
.... and a better look from a game

View attachment 16516
It was blue because we had a navy version of the white Dodd era set in the early 50’s.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
How would you describe the gold on the helmets in the third picture? Has anything been created in the past ten years that matches?
It was consistent with the 1968 helmet.... def old gold, darker than whatever Dodd last used gold hats....1964?

Past 10 years? Not that I can recall.... too much trying to be trendy..... not that anyone cares, but I would prefer either our 1969-71 hats or the 1972-1973 ones..... or even the ones worn by Brent Key for GOL.

As for uni's, we hated the ones we wore that were the model for the UVA Calvin Johnson game. We wanted the classic Dodd look which Carson absolutely refused to consider.

Funky uniforms? Perhaps someone can find the ones Pepper dreamed up with a yellow mesh jersey, UCLA shoulder stripes, over white pants. IIRC, it was a game vs Clem's Son. IMNSHO, those ranked down there with the honeycombs.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
The whole colors debate is just such a self-inflicted wound. If we went 100% in on White and gold and made sure all uniforms and branding were White and Gold (as they should be) you would have the support of 100% of the GT Fans. Its such an easy win, and for me, that is the frustrating part.
Who at GT is really pulling the strings in terms of the colors we use for all of the Various things? Do we know?
My theory is its someone hired from a different school/not a GT fan that just simply doesnt care that much for our history.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
The whole colors debate is just such a self-inflicted wound. If we went 100% in on White and gold and made sure all uniforms and branding were White and Gold (as they should be) you would have the support of 100% of the GT Fans. Its such an easy win, and for me, that is the frustrating part.
Who at GT is really pulling the strings in terms of the colors we use for all of the Various things? Do we know?
My theory is its someone hired from a different school/not a GT fan that just simply doesnt care that much for our history.
Most of us don’t mind dark blue or black as a contrasting color. We need it for stripes and outlines at a minimum. There is a long tradition going back over 75 years of dark blue or black jerseys. I’m fine with it occasionally. However, pick a color and go with it!

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
1958 UT at GA Tech
1723509125081.jpeg

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
This pic keyed up a memory..... we didn't used to get new uni's every year.... the Senior Equipment Manager, Sgt Edgar Hodges, would squeeze every nickle in his budget & if a pair of game pants could make it an extra season, or if a jersey just needed a hole sewn up to be used again, so be it. Reeder & McGaughey, our local equipment supplier, evidently understood Sarge, as cantankerous as they come. Helmets might get sent off to Riddell to get refurbished between seasons, or repainted by our Student Managers between games.

All that to say you might see color variations from game to game, season to season, just based on the age of the piece and how many times it had been washed. The mid '50s & '60s were pretty consistent until Dodd intro'd the white hats in IIRC '65. Then things started changing almost annually.

jpw67

Georgia Tech Fan
deepsnap, I do believe that Fulcher's sleeve stripes were dark blue, but the stripes on the helmet and pants were black. I know Pepper's sleeve stripes were dark blue but cannot be totally sure about Fulcher's. I do know the last few Dodd jerseys were black sleeve and pants stripes and numbers.
I believe this is the case. I wasn't around (yet) but I've seen footage (linked) of the Tech-Tenn games from this time period and it looked like we had navy blue jersey numbers and jersey stripes. Have a look and see what you think - YMMV...

1972 game:

1980 game: