GT over/under set at 6 wins for 2018

Vegas point spread from South Point. People can actually bet on this. Quite a few lines posted already.
I’m not buying unto the Uga hype this year.
As I have said numerous times, last year was their shot. They lost 30 seniors and several juniors. When you have that many seniors you are going to be good. Georgia will lose to Florida, Auburn, LSU, and us.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
College Football News Preview 2018: Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
Georgia Tech Prediction: What’s Going To Happen
It’s an interesting team full of parts that somehow need to fit to make it all work.

The great runners are there to make the amazing ground game go, but the line has to be more consistent and take control of games. TaQuon Marshall appears to be on the verge of becoming a better passer, but the sure-thing receivers aren’t in place quite yet.

The defensive shift to the 3-4 is a good tweak for the personnel – at least it will be in time – but the linebackers have to learn a whole new ballgame. Meanwhile, the secondary is all but starting over, and the pass rush has to start working in the new scheme.

But there’s talent in place, there are veterans in the right jobs, and as always, the coaching will be outstanding.

If last year’s team couldn’t seem to catch a break early and let the season get away late, this one should be able to get those close calls going their way.

From the great punting from Pressley Harvin to improve the field position, to Marshall’s experience after starting for a year, to the likely more consistent offense and more disruptive defense, the Yellow Jackets will get back to a bowl game despite the brutal schedule.
Guessing The Preseason Regular Season Win Total Will Be Set At … 5.5

The good news is that Georgia Tech gets Clemson in Atlanta. The bad news is that it has to play Clemson.

Going to Pitt, USF, Louisville, Virginia Tech, and then closing it all up with Georgia would be the end of most teams before the season even started. And then, throw in home dates against Miami along with Clemson, and the season is all about having a little fun and killing some time.

But with the option attack, and the likely improvements on defense, there will be an upset or three – like the win over Virginia Tech last year – and without the clunkers like there were against Virginia and Duke.

Oh it’ll be a struggle to get to bowl eligibility, but it’ll happen.

At home, plan on a split between the Clemson and Miami showdowns at home, assume losses to Virginia Tech and Georgia on the road, and build off the home wins over Alcorn State, Bowling Green, Duke and Virginia.

With this slate, seven regular season wins will be a terrific run.

gtcs05

Georgia Tech Fan
I'll take the over, but I'm not betting the house on it. I'll be fairly happy just to see us go 6-6 and make it to the Whogivesa Bowl.

My heart says 15-0. My head is thinking 6-8 wins. Too much uncertainty in the matchups against L'ville, the tarholes, dook, thugU, VPISU, the french, and the dwags.

If it were up to me, we'd start by going 1-0 against Alcorn State, then try to win just one game a week after that. That sounds like a good plan.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I expect us to beat atleast 8 teams no questions asked. IMO we are better or should atleast be better than Alcorn state, south Florida, Pitt, Duke, Louisville, UNC, Virginia, and Bowling Green. Then you look at UGA, Miami, and VT and we could be just as good if not better than those teams. UGA lost a TON of contributors but they will have a whole season to get better, losing that many isn’t easy though and could really affect them this year. VT is a team we always compete with and they might be losing their QB, plus they lost some really good players from last year. Miami is not back imo, and they also lost a good amount of players, with the guys they lost on the DL it could really help us. So 8-4 minimum but we could also have a 2014 type season, but hopefully without the two mishaps in the middle of that season.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I expect us to beat atleast 8 teams no questions asked. IMO we are better or should atleast be better than Alcorn state, south Florida, Pitt, Duke, Louisville, UNC, Virginia, and Bowling Green. Then you look at UGA, Miami, and VT and we could be just as good if not better than those teams. UGA lost a TON of contributors but they will have a whole season to get better, losing that many isn’t easy though and could really affect them this year. VT is a team we always compete with and they might be losing their QB, plus they lost some really good players from last year. Miami is not back imo, and they also lost a good amount of players, with the guys they lost on the DL it could really help us. So 8-4 minimum but we could also have a 2014 type season, but hopefully without the two mishaps in the middle of that season.

Your optimism is infectious and you make a reasonable case but the fact of the matter is that last year we lost in rather convincing fashion to Duke and Virginia. I know next to nothing about Louisville or South Florida but both are capable of beating us. I think 7 just might be the ceiling for this team. We are playing three teams that will be in or near the top 10 and there are only two cupcakes. Pitt and UNC have a lot to prove, maybe even more than we do so there is that. IF the line jells and we do not have injuries like in 2015 I might end up eating crow with an 8 or 9 win season. That would be nice. Earlier I was predicting 7 wins I think now that we will win 6 and it could be a losing year with injuries and few bad bounces. Replacing Ricky and Stick on offense as well as AJ, Simmons, Step, and the Austins on defense will be challenging. We will see. A 5 year recruiting average near 50 is not acceptable given the talent in Georgia. Recruiting results like that is how you get beat by the likes of Virginia, Duke and Pitt.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
If the D has a pulse last year we very well could’ve been a 8-3 team. The D blew UT(ST didn’t help) Miami and UVA. Granted the O had some issues in the rain at Miami but it did enough. Same at UVA. Hell, we had a lead with like 3 min left. But the way the season went down it looked like the team was just ready to get it over with mid way through the Duke game.
I see no reason with 9 starters back on O and a new, attacking scheme on D and a more manageable schedule (No Lamar Jackson, VT qb status not looking good and Miami and Clemson at home) why we can’t win 8/9 games.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Your optimism is infectious and you make a reasonable case but the fact of the matter is that last year we lost in rather convincing fashion to Duke and Virginia. I know next to nothing about Louisville or South Florida but both are capable of beating us. I think 7 just might be the ceiling for this team. We are playing three teams that will be in or near the top 10 and there are only two cupcakes. Pitt and UNC have a lot to prove, maybe even more than we do so there is that. IF the line jells and we do not have injuries like in 2015 I might end up eating crow with an 8 or 9 win season. That would be nice. Earlier I was predicting 7 wins I think now that we will win 6 and it could be a losing year with injuries and few bad bounces. Replacing Ricky and Stick on offense as well as AJ, Simmons, Step, and the Austins on defense will be challenging. We will see. A 5 year recruiting average near 50 is not acceptable given the talent in Georgia. Recruiting results like that is how you get beat by the likes of Virginia, Duke and Pitt.
I’m not sayin we will win 8 games, but that’s my exapectation. There is no reason in my mind that we shouldn’t beat those teams because we are better IMO. Now if it happens is a different story, I understand we lost games last year to some of those teams, but imo that shouldn’t happen. I think you highly underestimate the players we have though compared to guys we lost. I won’t say names but some starters we had last year don’t have the talent of guys that will play this year imo. I think you are taking my exspectations and thinking it’s optimism when I didn’t say we will win that many games. I will go on record as saying we are an 8 win team, even though that’s not what my original comment was about. Those 8 wins could also come any way. We could beat 6 teams we should out of the 8 and then 2 we shouldn’t. The one thing I will say is put D will be better imo, and our O will be better imo. The D system fits GT better and the offense is pretty experienced overall which normally translate to good on field performance.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I’m not sayin we will win 8 games, but that’s my exapectation. There is no reason in my mind that we shouldn’t beat those teams because we are better IMO. Now if it happens is a different story, I understand we lost games last year to some of those teams, but imo that shouldn’t happen. I think you highly underestimate the players we have though compared to guys we lost. I won’t say names but some starters we had last year don’t have the talent of guys that will play this year imo. I think you are taking my exspectations and thinking it’s optimism when I didn’t say we will win that many games. I will go on record as saying we are an 8 win team, even though that’s not what my original comment was about. Those 8 wins could also come any way. We could beat 6 teams we should out of the 8 and then 2 we shouldn’t. The one thing I will say is put D will be better imo, and our O will be better imo. The D system fits GT better and the offense is pretty experienced overall which normally translate to good on field performance.

"...some starters we had last year don't have the talent of the guys that will play this year..." Absolutely agree with you on this point. However, it is vital that this team improve in EVERY facet of the game from day to day, week to week, game to game. This is not a team that is going to win games just by stepping out on the field. They do not have the aura of winners...yet. Years ago, I read a biography about Coach Dodd and one of his players pointed out that collectively as a team and individually they went into every game fully expecting to win because...they were Georgia Tech. That sort of mind set, once acquired, is a huge advantage. Back in 1990 and 1991 we were playing Clemson and Coleman Rudolph was living rent free in their heads. On the sidelines, a Clemson coach was yelling at their offensive linemen along the lines of "Is he better than you?" Yep, he was. In more recent time DeAndre Smelter had that swagger. His whole demeanor spoke volumes: "I am better than you. I know it and you know it ... better get help over the top" We have a ways to go to be that sort of team but it can be done and it starts with recruiting especially linemen.

Last edited:

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
For the 4 years Vegas had us winning 26.5 games. We won 26 and had 1 game cancelled. Pretty good in total.

To me, it looks like Las Vegas doesn’t have a clue about GT on a season-by-season prediction. Sure the four year average is right but they’ve been off by nearly 3 games each season. Based on the 2018 prediction and their average error, we will win between 3 and 8 regular season games. You can probably say that about 85% of teams in 2018 and you’d be right.

2014 O/U 6.5 (won 10 regular season)
2015 O/U 7.5 (won 3 regular season)
2016 O/U 6.5 (won 8 regular season)
2017 O/U 6.5 (won 5 regular season)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: