• Over/under: 6.5
  • Actual wins: 10
  • Over/under: 7.5
  • Actual wins: 3
  • Over/under: 6.5
  • Actual wins: 8
  • Over/under: 6
  • Actual wins: 5 (with a cancellation)

Last year's preseason thread on the subject for your misery or entertainment: Vegas sets GT season wins over/under at 6

slugboy

Staff member
FSU's 2017 over/under was 9.5 games. They went 6-6 regular season (kinda), and 3-5 in the ACC. Somehow, their forecast seems worse than ours was.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
These are Vegas lines not predictions.

Vegas lines are crowd sourced predictions.

I seem to recollect this discussion a few times before ........ o_O

6 is a very reasonable estimate based on recent history. One of these days I'll update for 114 Years of GT Football. The only consistency we have is being inconsistent.

Deleted member 2897

I seem to recollect this discussion a few times before ........ o_O

6 is a very reasonable estimate based on recent history. One of these days I'll update for 114 Years of GT Football. The only consistency we have is being inconsistent.

Nailed it. And that’s basically what this is - predicting at the average.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
You guys should be salivating over outside-the-program low expectations. I am. Nothing is more fun than sneaking up on folks and taking them to the woodshed. That said, our competition is too smart to be snuck up on. They know all too well what will happen if they take us lightly.

What I like about it is extra motivation for the players. I know the shouldn't need it, but they are 18 - 22 yr olds.

herb

Helluva Engineer
Keep in mind I’m not a gambler, but if I put 100 bucks on the over today what’s my pay out assuming we win 7+ games?

Given the odds posted in the link, you would have to bet $130 to win $100 if you took the over. If you took the under, you would have to bet $100 to win $100

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Vegas lines are crowd sourced predictions.

Opening lines aren't crowdsourced. The top Vegas books pay a lot of money to oddsmakers to maximize their profit. The lines move according to how people bet so that the book can keep the same amount of money on both sides which minimizes the risk. They make money by paying out the same as they take in and keeping the vig.

herb

Helluva Engineer
For the most part yes, but vegas makes bets too. Sometimes you will see that most of the money is coming in on one side, yet the line moves in their favor. Hint: stay away from those