GT over/under set at 6 wins for 2018

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
GT is going to surprise people this season and i hope Las Vegas and the bookies lose their shirts;) I remember everyone in 1990 was predicting GT to go 8-3. Playboy in their College Football predictions for 1990 i do believe predicted GT to go 8-3 and be ranked in the #15-#20 range

Jackets were picked that high? Because I distinctly remember that Tech had to go 3-0 before they even cracked the top 20.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Yeah,Playboy thought GT would be a dark horse team in 1990 after they finished strongly in 1989;)

I don't doubt Playboy did, but outside of that I don't think many folks outside of Tech fandom gave us much thought. I remember working with this big UGA fan who was looking over the rankings in the paper after week two, asking him if Tech was in there. He replied with a dismissive, "Naw, I don't see them anywhere". I think he was pretty shocked at how that season panned out. But after the strong finish in '89, 1990 didn't surprise me, and I think that's true of many Tech fans. I had no idea the Jackets were going to win it all, but I was looking forward to very good season.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I don't doubt Playboy did, but outside of that I don't think many folks outside of Tech fandom gave us much thought. I remember working with this big UGA fan who was looking over the rankings in the paper after week two, asking him if Tech was in there. He replied with a dismissive, "Naw, I don't see them anywhere". I think he was pretty shocked at how that season panned out. But after the strong finish in '89, 1990 didn't surprise me, and I think that's true of many Tech fans. I had no idea the Jackets were going to win it all, but I was looking forward to very good season.
Yeah the College Football Magazines had the 1990 Yellow Jackets going 8-3 but none of them had GT in the Preseason top 25(They had Clemson winning the ACC, Virginia finishing 2nd and Georgia Tech finishing 3rd). Playboy goes out on a limb a lot of the time with their College Football Predictions but they did a good job with GT in 1990;) I was like you expecting an 8-3 or 9-2 record for the Jackets in 1990.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Yeah the College Football Magazines had the 1990 Yellow Jackets going 8-3 but none of them had GT in the Preseason top 25(They had Clemson winning the ACC, Virginia finishing 2nd and Georgia Tech finishing 3rd). Playboy goes out on a limb a lot of the time with their College Football Predictions but they did a good job with GT in 1990;) I was like you expecting an 8-3 or 9-2 record for the Jackets in 1990.

Really looking forward to this year. I mean, I think it could go either way depending on the breaks/injuries, but there is ample room for optimism. Clinton Lynch returning to form (hopefully) will be big. In top form, he's nothing short of spectacular. DeFoor being eligible and Marshall (OT) returning will help a lot. Cooper (our best OL) has to get healthy, but that should happen by season start. The other guys on OL are a year older. Taquon has a season under his belt. And of course on defense, Woody will, I think, spur a new aggressive attitude, and looking forward to see what our new defensive backfield can do. There are plenty of "ifs", but if most of them go our way it could be a memorable year. We have a chance to be way underrated. I'd bet the over on 6.5 wins, even at -130.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Really looking forward to this year. I mean, I think it could go either way depending on the breaks/injuries, but there is ample room for optimism. Clinton Lynch returning to form (hopefully) will be big. In top form, he's nothing short of spectacular. DeFoor being eligible and Marshall (OT) returning will help a lot. Cooper (our best OL) has to get healthy, but that should happen by season start. The other guys on OL are a year older. Taquon has a season under his belt. And of course on defense, Woody will, I think, spur a new aggressive attitude, and looking forward to see what our new defensive backfield can do. There are plenty of "ifs", but if most of them go our way it could be a memorable year. We have a chance to be way underrated. I'd bet the over on 6.5 wins, even at -130.
I think 9-3 is very doable with a nice late December trip to the Camping World Bowl in Orlando to play 8-4 Texas(y);)

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
I would not be totally suprised with anything between 2/10 and 10/2. We will be big favorites against Alcorn State and Ball State, big underdogs against Clemson and Georgia, pretty much toss ups everywhere else. It depends if we get on a good roll or a bad roll.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I would not be totally suprised with anything between 2/10 and 10/2. We will be big favorites against Alcorn State and Ball State, big underdogs against Clemson and Georgia, pretty much toss ups everywhere else. It depends if we get on a good roll or a bad roll.
Do you mean Bowling Green?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Want to see a couple of games with the new defense. O should be at least a little better regardless. Could be much better if TM can run the pitch better and improves passing percentage. A better D would have been a couple more wins last year. ST will still be a hold your breath unless we can get kickoff into the end zone with no returns. Punter is really good.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Apropos to nothing really, but just an interesting FYI. CPJ's record with new DCs:

2008 (Wommack): 9-4 (1st year at GT)
2010 (Groh): 6-7
2013 (Roof): 7-6
2018 (Woody): ???

CPJ with 2nd Year DCs:

2009 (Wommack): 11-3
2011 (Groh): 8-5
2014 (Roof): 11-3
2019 (Woody): ???

Expectation is the team will probably improve a game or two with "new DC bump", but the bigger bump will come in the 2nd year if history holds to pattern. Could see us win 6-8 games this year, and possibly 10+ in 2019. Of course, real life doesn't always hold to pattern...that's why we play the games.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Want to see a couple of games with the new defense. O should be at least a little better regardless. Could be much better if TM can run the pitch better and improves passing percentage. A better D would have been a couple more wins last year. ST will still be a hold your breath unless we can get kickoff into the end zone with no returns. Punter is really good.

Kickoff rules changes take return coverage pretty much off the table. Most every kickoff will result in the ball being placed at the 25 yard line, because in almost all instances a returner would be foolish to run it back. If the ball is fielded anywhere inside the 25, a fair catch guarantees the 25, and with almost all kicks even by mediocre kickers going at least as far as the 10, returners would be prudent to just fair catch the ball. I think most returners aren't going to challenge even our weak coverage, but if they do we have to make them pay. We don't need to kick it in the end zone any more. Any advantage opposing teams had in the past in the kickoff coverage/ return area is nullified with the rules changes this year, which is heavily in our favor.

On offense, the most important thing we need to do better this year is for the OT's and OG's to BLOCK. Especially the OT's. The addition of Marshall and DeFoor this year might help a lot.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I agree that many teams will fair catch kick offs. There will be times when they will return it if behind late in games or they feel they have a ST advantage. Our ST on KO returns has not been good since Butker left and never really good under PJ outside of Butker years.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Lol man this program has been set back

Set back from what? From two years ago? Or do you mean specifically the three years from 1998 to 2000? I mean, the most we won from 1992-1997 was 7 games, and we averaged basically 7 from 2001-2007? Do you consider a prediction of 6 a huge set back from averaging 7? Or are you referring to the 1950s? I would agree the program has been set back since then. Stupid integration and other programs investing in sports!! :meh:

Last edited: