GT over/under set at 6 wins for 2018

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I don't think kickoffs are going to be fair caught routinely short of the goal line. Even if average field position would be short of the 25, that doesn't necessarily mean it would be best to fair catch.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Apropos to nothing really, but just an interesting FYI. CPJ's record with new DCs:

2008 (Wommack): 9-4 (1st year at GT)
2010 (Groh): 6-7
2013 (Roof): 7-6
2018 (Woody): ???

CPJ with 2nd Year DCs:

2009 (Wommack): 11-3
2011 (Groh): 8-5
2014 (Roof): 11-3
2019 (Woody): ???

Expectation is the team will probably improve a game or two with "new DC bump", but the bigger bump will come in the 2nd year if history holds to pattern. Could see us win 6-8 games this year, and possibly 10+ in 2019. Of course, real life doesn't always hold to pattern...that's why we play the games.

Please don't take this personally. I was reminded recently that I can't just respond to content without risking the response being taken personally.

I still question W-L as a meaningful statistic to guage improvement or decline of either offense or defense. Your point may or may not be correct, but I don't agree that W-L supports it.

Now, please respond with a personal attack knowing you have the moderators' blessing.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Please don't take this personally. I was reminded recently that I can't just respond to content without risking the response being taken personally.

I still question W-L as a meaningful statistic to guage improvement or decline of either offense or defense. Your point may or may not be correct, but I don't agree that W-L supports it.

Now, please respond with a personal attack knowing you have the moderators' blessing.

Lololol... :rolleyes:

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
You guys should be salivating over outside-the-program low expectations. I am. Nothing is more fun than sneaking up on folks and taking them to the woodshed. That said, our competition is too smart to be snuck up on. They know all too well what will happen if they take us lightly.

What I like about it is extra motivation for the players. I know the shouldn't need it, but they are 18 - 22 yr olds.

I find it sad that we might find low expectations as a good thing. Wonder if that would be acceptable for the HillNerds?

Are low expectations a constant motivational tool for CPJ?

Why would we not want to be highly ranked going into the season?

Too hard to work for I guess.

Man on the street - "wonder if I should consider buying GT tickets this year? I mean, they are predicted to win 5 or 6 games. Hmmmm, maybe I'll wait".

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I find it sad that we might find low expectations as a good thing. Wonder if that would be acceptable for the HillNerds?

Are low expectations a constant motivational tool for CPJ?

Why would we not want to be highly ranked going into the season?

Too hard to work for I guess.

Man on the street - "wonder if I should consider buying GT tickets this year? I mean, they are predicted to win 5 or 6 games. Hmmmm, maybe I'll wait".
You quoted my post then ignored the fine details because they didn’t support your agenda. Touché. You should take your talents over to Stingtalk where that is the status quo.

So here is my take.
Under CPJ the prognosticators have had problems truly assessing CPJs offense. I think they buy into the "everybody has it figured out" mantra. And just when least expected, we roll up big wins. This year I think it comes down to them looing at our competition.
Clemson, expected to face Alabama again for the NC. My take, I think they have some serious questions on offense. They may win a lot of 14-10 games
Va Tech again this year they think Va Tech is back. me, big losses on defense and big questions on offense.
UGA 1980 is back......me, as I have said they had 30 seniors on last years team. Freshmen 5 stars mean nothing
Miami....the U is back.....I don't see this. They have 4 very tough road games and they won 3 games with luck last year, including ours.

The rest of our schedule is filled with teams that we can beat.....will we.....I think it all rests on what we have created on defense.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
So here is my take.
Under CPJ the prognosticators have had problems truly assessing CPJs offense. I think they buy into the "everybody has it figured out" mantra. And just when least expected, we roll up big wins. This year I think it comes down to them looing at our competition.
Clemson, expected to face Alabama again for the NC. My take, I think they have some serious questions on offense. They may win a lot of 14-10 games
Va Tech again this year they think Va Tech is back. me, big losses on defense and big questions on offense.
UGA 1980 is back......me, as I have said they had 30 seniors on last years team. Freshmen 5 stars mean nothing
Miami....the U is back.....I don't see this. They have 4 very tough road games and they won 3 games with luck last year, including ours.
The rest of our schedule is filled with teams that we can beat.....will we.....I think it all rests on what we have created on defense.

And who is playing QB and, of course, whether it rains...

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I don't think kickoffs are going to be fair caught routinely short of the goal line. Even if average field position would be short of the 25, that doesn't necessarily mean it would be best to fair catch.

Only a small percentage of runbacks will reach the 25. Of course, once in a rare while one will break long, but there is a greater downside risk of fumble, block in the back penalty, or injury. It may well be that returners will try it, but I think overall it's a losing gamble. But last year a good many returners tried it from the end zone even though very few got past the 25. Seemed a bad gamble to me.

slugboy

Staff member
Trying to make an educated swag at this. I think blocking, primarily on the offensive line, and keeping opponents under 25 points per game are the keys

* we have two seniors on the two deep OL, but a lot of starters back.
* Stickler is out, but DeFoor is in. I hope we’re ok at tackle.
* we start the season with injured linemen.
* I think our line should be at least equal to last year, hopefully better. It could be my biggest concern with the team
* I expect the backs and receivers to block well
* I hope someone can catch
* our first three games are Alcorn State, USF, and Pitt.
* hopefully we’re healthy and playing well by Clemson
* I think (hope) Woody’s defense is a better fit for our players than Ted Roof’s was
* I don’t see a reason for the defense to regress from last year. If anything, we should play better against Duke and UNC, but maybe give up more big plays to Miami
* I’m still intimidated to put 25 points as a defensive goal, but it should be reasonable. This team has enough talent to be better than that, but the last eight years has left me pessimistic. (Please players and Woody, change my mind)

Looking at the schedule, I see seven wins as really likely, eight reasonable, and nine overachieving. Could go better or worse, but I’d be surprised either way.

If the offensive line comes together, we should look at nine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Trying to make an educated swag at this. I think blocking, primarily on the offensive line, and keeping opponents under 25 points per game are the keys

* we have two seniors on the two deep OL, but a lot of starters back.
* Stickler is out, but DeFoor is in. I hope we’re ok at tackle.
* we start the season with injured linemen.
* I think our line should be at least equal to last year, hopefully better. It could be my biggest concern with the team
* I expect the backs and receivers to block well
* I hope someone can catch
* our first three games are Alcorn State, USF, and Pitt.
* hopefully we’re healthy and playing well by Clemson
* I think (hope) Woody’s defense is a better fit for our players than Ted Roof’s was
* I don’t see a reason for the defense to regress from last year. If anything, we should play better against Duke and UNC, but maybe give up more big plays to Miami
* I’m still intimidated to put 25 points as a defensive goal, but it should be reasonable. This team has enough talent to be better than that, but the last eight years has left me pessimistic. (Please players and Woody, change my mind)

Looking at the schedule, I see seven wins as really likely, eight reasonable, and nine overachieving. Could go better or worse, but I’d be surprised either way.

If the offensive line comes together, we should look at nine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I love this post. I may agree or disagree, but I understand the basis for every bullet. And, every bullet is stated as your point of view.

Sorry, that I'm not adding new content here, but i wanted to applaud this post.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
8D9AAEE7-06C6-43E6-8118-7EF3844472F4.jpeg
I’m all over this line. No way in hell is uga 21 points better than us.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
2018 its time for the yellow jackets.

i feel like this is a good game for gt barring the inxxxx bug.

We should start ok, have some big wins and losses in middle and then finish strong..