GT over/under set at 6 wins for 2018

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
We were a tipped pass vs Miami, a ****ty Ted D in the 2nd half vs Tennessee and another blown lead by the D in the last 3 min vs UVA from being 8-3! Let’s not forget that.
I think k 8/9 wins is highly likely if the TM has time to set his feet and throw and the kids on D trust CNW. 9 starters back on O and the most depth at A&B backs in a long time. We’re gonna be fine this year. I laid quite a bit on us covering 6 wins.
Good Tech fan,but it a shame that the betting line is a paltry 6 games!

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Hard for me not to think that we would have 8 wins or more this season if we had a schedule like the dawgs or most teams but our schedule is tough. For prognosticators to predict around 6 wins is not a slam given the schedule we face and our level of recruitment. There should be several games like last year where it was a toss up and the ball didn’t bounce our way. This year I think we will be sufficiently better so that we reach 8 regardless.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If Taquon plays like he did last season, then 6 wins is our ceiling with no wins over marquee teams. I still think that he trusts himself too much to distribute the ball to the playmakers. We won't get very far if he is our leading rusher for the 2nd season in a row.
And yet we would have won 8 games last year with that very same qb paired with a slightly better D and place kicker.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
A quick look at the qb situation of opponents is promising from an experience standpoint.

Lots of new qb s .

Duke, miami and uga have experience but others are new ( assume vt guy is out)

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
We lost to the worst team in the SEC last year. What in the world makes you think we’d beat four teams from that conference?
The short answer is that I think that game is largely irrelevant to my prognostications for this year but I will unpack it a bit below.
1.That was the first game of last year an we beat that team in every way but the scoreboard. It was a bizarre loss
2.Our qb and bback were in their first start
3. I believe our new defensive approach provide a better overall performance.
4.I think our offense will be better.
5. Our graduation losses were not that bad and many of our competitors wereworse
7. This year we will have more experience in essential positions like QB and bback
6. To make my assessment of this year solely based on the first game performance of the previous year seems ridiculous and vastly oversimplified. ( I thought about using the Vtech game as the sole basis for this years assessment but figured I would be criticized for being naïve for basing my view on a single game;))

Let me know if you like to hear addition reasons.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
GT football is almost impossible to predict, I suggest we all just sit back and enjoy the ride. Most of us are of the personality type where we like to be in control or in charge. Nothing could be further from the truth in describing our role with the team or ability to affect or accurately predict performance, least of all wins and losses. We are on a freaking roller coaster, hold on for dear life with gnashed teeth and bare white knuckles or throw your hands in the air and scream your *** off, it's up to you, but don't kid yourself that you're steering the damn thing!

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Absolutely agree. Marshall cannot do it by himself. The line must block better. It is really that simple. I still think that the 6 wins is a reasonable prediction BUT it is not the floor (which is probably 5) nor is it the ceiling which may be as many as 9 wins. As dresscheeseside suggested Tech is almost impossible to predict. I read an article recently that listed a half dozen or so of the most difficult college teams to handicap and predict how they will play and Tech was one of them. Can't recall any details but I would imagine the reason is due to the difficulty of preparing for a unique offense, the limited number of possessions an opponent will have, and ongoing depth issues for Tech among others. A really quick way to lose money is betting on what 18 to 21 year olds will do on any given Saturday. Not for the faint of heart for sure but enjoyable to watch though.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Bill Connelly (https://www.footballstudyhall.com/) has said that we're one of the hardest teams in College Football to predict, and he makes statistical predictions for all 130 teams. I think he's right.
Yep! That may be the guy I was posting about earlier. Although, it seems as though the article I was reading was from an earlier time perhaps. In any event, the point remains that Tech is an "enigma wrapped in a riddle" (courtesy of Winston Churchill).

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Virginia Tech's QB will be playing

No disrespect for Virginia Tech's quarterback, but based on what I saw last year I would rather have our guy. I know he (Hokies quarterback) was kind of up and down last year but going into our game he was the talk of the ACC and just did not play all that well against us. Playing Virginia Tech's quarterback is the least of our worries. Our problems just about always start and finish with the initials BF. There are probably better defensive coordinators around but very few. He is legit top dozen or so in the country IMHO.