GT needed a change

Kennethshannon20

Jolly Good Fellow
Everything you described is coaching. Players play the way they are coached in practice.
You can't actually believe the coaches taught players to fumble and run incorrect routes?! LMAO, this board is silly. The mistakes that were made were from inexperience and trying to do too much. They are trying to do too much because they have been less than stellar this year and are inexperienced so they don't know how to react. But clearly nothing will change your mind. Very narrow path you see there.

Scubapro

Banned
You can't actually believe the coaches taught players to fumble and run incorrect routes?! LMAO, this board is silly. The mistakes that were made were from inexperience and trying to do too much. They are trying to do too much because they have been less than stellar this year and are inexperienced so they don't know how to react. But clearly nothing will change your mind. Very narrow path you see there.
Horse sheet....QB not on the same page as the receiver? Coaching
Fumbles are a direct result of the players not taking care of the ball--details---Coaching
Remember the coaches lauding Lil Joe on not having any fumbles on his Ga State team?
Missing assignments ---this board crucified Sewak - rightfully so- for missed assignments --- Coaching
Forgot to add special teams mistakes. --- Coaching . Special teams are highly situational and coaching shows here more than anything
Stupid thug penalties . Coaching . CAPITAL C on that one

Last edited:

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
If we're not good at one thing, are the coaches not partially to blame? As much as everyone likes to tout Collins' recruiting prowess, we are still well behind UNC and Miami in recruiting. The coaches are going have be able to beat teams with better talent. It's concerning that this staff and team have looked out-classed against Temple and Citadel, especially considering that Willie Fritz was able to pull this off while simultaneously moving a team from FCS to FBS.

Interesting fact, if we go 1-11 this year, Brent Key will be 1-23 in his past two seasons as a non-Alabama coach and Collins will be 16-21 as a head coach. Those numbers are not inspiring, much like our current play on the field.

There will not be another year where w
Ok, everyone keeps saying the turnovers today we're the difference. Ok, I agree, the game definitely would have been closer if GT didn't turn over the ball several times at inopportune places on the field.

This is exactly why we lost to Duke last year. What I can't understand, and what "irks" the hell out me, is that tons of people complained about how bad GT football was, the TO had to go, CPJ had lost the team...

Yet, the 3 turnovers today are now a "credible excuse"???

I’ll respond since I’m the type of poster you are referring to. I completely expected us to be terrible this year. I thought the talent the last few years has been really lacking and the only thing that kept us competitive with average teams was CPJ and his scheme. Going away from the 3O was always going to be painful in my mind so there is really nothing that can happen this year that will affect my opinion if the staff. This is a huge transition and most of the nation outside of this board understands that. If year 4 is still ugly then I will have the same view of the staff you currently have.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Who ignored orange bowls? I said last few years. 5 years ago wasn't included in that. We were mediocre outside of 2009 and 2014, most fans want to have a chance at consistent 9 + win seasons.

Who is promoting not winning FBS games for three years? Idk where you get some of this stuff.

Lol

Scubapro

Banned
Vespidae,

Depends on what you mean by "compete"... Is it the goal of every program to win national championships? Lets look at this logically for a second... What gives Georgia Tech, specifically, the best chance to win?

To me, its a smothering defense and the triple option offense. Woody was flat out a bad hire. He had good stats at App State, but going with the 3-4 at Georgia Tech is a tall order. Georgia Tech needs to play a 3-3-5 or 4-2-5.. In fact, Navy is #1 in total defense right now with a new defensive coordinator, Brian Newberry.. They hired him from Kennesaw State, and he runs a 4-2-5. His Kennesaw State defenses were really good. Thacker is now running a 4-2-5 scheme at Georgia Tech and the results are much better. It's the proper defense to run unless you have elite talent. I would establish a tradition as a defensive powerhouse and get the best players in the country for running the triple option. Those are achievable goals at Georgia Tech, no doubt about it.

If I were the Athletic Director, I would spend a lot of money on a great defensive coordinator that runs a scheme suitable for the program... Meaning, the best 4-2-5 coach I can possibly hire. Then I go out and hire Jeff Monken to be the head coach and run the offense. Then I adjust the schedule to start off with 4 straight wins every single year. Blow up the scoreboard with rushing stats, put up some video game numbers, etc. This brings attention to the program. Doesn't mean you have to schedule Citadel... but I'd bring in Georgia State, East Carolina, Florida International, Bowling Green, UTEP, Rice, every year and put on a clinic. Some good Monken examples from the past 2-3 years:

Army beat UTEP 66-14
Army beat Houston 70-14 (an 8 win Houston team)
Army beat Rice 50-12
Army beat San Jose State 52-3

How many years will it be before Georgia Tech can beat someone like that?

I'd start every season off like that... No shame in it. They aren't FCS teams... Generate some enthusiasm... Schedule up every now and then and play Tennessee, Arkansas, South Carolina, and other teams in your recruiting area.

In other words, I would get more deliberate about planning to win. Guarantee bowl games every season.. And not the 6 win variety unless you are having a really bad year... You start off 4-0 every year and you are likely winning 7-8 games even in a down year.. And every now and then you get hot and make a run like in 2014. Oklahoma, with all its ability, money, top 5 recruiting classes, Heisman winners, etc has not won a national championship in nearly 20 years. Think about that for a second. 20 years is a REALLY long time. They may finally do it this year, but that shows how insanely difficult it is to compete at that level with everything being favorable to you. USC has everything going for it as well, and has been dark for awhile. It's really difficult at the P5 level. There are many examples of this...

Just my two cents...
I dont agree with all of this ...but I cant make a good argument against it

TechPreacher

Banned
Some coaches require the better team on the field always to win games. Saban is the poster boy for that. If that is what this staff requires to win, we are sunk. The consensus is that this is the best recruiting staff we have ever had. Time will tell, but "out-athleting" everyone else is not a successful recipe for Tech.

PS. Especially since we have already seen the results this year when we had better talent than the other team.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Vespidae,

Depends on what you mean by "compete"... Is it the goal of every program to win national championships? Lets look at this logically for a second... What gives Georgia Tech, specifically, the best chance to win?

To me, its a smothering defense and the triple option offense. Woody was flat out a bad hire. He had good stats at App State, but going with the 3-4 at Georgia Tech is a tall order. Georgia Tech needs to play a 3-3-5 or 4-2-5.. In fact, Navy is #1 in total defense right now with a new defensive coordinator, Brian Newberry.. They hired him from Kennesaw State, and he runs a 4-2-5. His Kennesaw State defenses were really good. Thacker is now running a 4-2-5 scheme at Georgia Tech and the results are much better. It's the proper defense to run unless you have elite talent. I would establish a tradition as a defensive powerhouse and get the best players in the country for running the triple option. Those are achievable goals at Georgia Tech, no doubt about it.

If I were the Athletic Director, I would spend a lot of money on a great defensive coordinator that runs a scheme suitable for the program... Meaning, the best 4-2-5 coach I can possibly hire. Then I go out and hire Jeff Monken to be the head coach and run the offense. Then I adjust the schedule to start off with 4 straight wins every single year. Blow up the scoreboard with rushing stats, put up some video game numbers, etc. This brings attention to the program. Doesn't mean you have to schedule Citadel... but I'd bring in Georgia State, East Carolina, Florida International, Bowling Green, UTEP, Rice, every year and put on a clinic. Some good Monken examples from the past 2-3 years:

Army beat UTEP 66-14
Army beat Houston 70-14 (an 8 win Houston team)
Army beat Rice 50-12
Army beat San Jose State 52-3

How many years will it be before Georgia Tech can beat someone like that?

I'd start every season off like that... No shame in it. They aren't FCS teams... Generate some enthusiasm... Schedule up every now and then and play Tennessee, Arkansas, South Carolina, and other teams in your recruiting area.

In other words, I would get more deliberate about planning to win. Guarantee bowl games every season.. And not the 6 win variety unless you are having a really bad year... You start off 4-0 every year and you are likely winning 7-8 games even in a down year.. And every now and then you get hot and make a run like in 2014. Oklahoma, with all its ability, money, top 5 recruiting classes, Heisman winners, etc has not won a national championship in nearly 20 years. Think about that for a second. 20 years is a REALLY long time. They may finally do it this year, but that shows how insanely difficult it is to compete at that level with everything being favorable to you. USC has everything going for it as well, and has been dark for awhile. It's really difficult at the P5 level. There are many examples of this...

Just my two cents...
I’d hire you tomorrow to be AD.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
From 2008 to 2014, GT averaged a rank of 26 in D1 in total yards...and we rarely passed. That’s one heck of a lucky streak and the last couple of those years were all Johnson recruits.

In 2015, everyone on the team seemed to get hurt...to the point I thought we may have to use the cheerleaders. 2016 was a pretty good season and 2017 and 2018 were on par with most seasons since Dodd, excluding 1990 and 1998. If you look and wins and losses since Dodd, it is easy to see that we occasionally have a really good season, regardless of coach or scheme.

The real story is that a lot of folks didn’t want to watch the TO and didn’t want to put their money behind it, either through donations or ticket sales. In addition, a lot of recruits, especially NFL-seeking recruits, didn’t want to play in it because they thought it would hurt their draft stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And that's the ironic thing is so.many have complained for the past few years about how we need to ditch the triple and move to a pro style offense and now we are and people still complain
The reality is that our offense is much weaker than we all thought and that making said transition isnt going to be as easy as people thought.

If Collins inherited the kind of offense cpj had his first year we might fair better

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Assuming Georgia Tech brings in some "pro style" quarterbacks this year... You have to imagine Oliver, Johnson, Yates, and Graham will all transfer out. Someone will go to Georgia Southern because they run the option... New Mexico... some other places that have running QB schemes.
Based on his offense from Temple there is an RPO in his spread and his QBs do run. He may talk pro style, but what he will run is the basic vanilla shotgun RPO or zone read offense. (I predict anyway.) Something like UNC ran against Clemson yesterday, but Mack has a doozy of a QB to run it. And the guy is built like a FB on top of it. (Which is why getting him running lateral, as they did on the 2-point conversion fail, is a good idea. )
Who ignored orange bowls? I said last few years. 5 years ago wasn't included in that. We were mediocre outside of 2009 and 2014, most fans want to have a chance at consistent 9 + win seasons.

Who is promoting not winning FBS games for three years? Idk where you get some of this stuff.
Well. Your protest might carry more gravitas if you had not ignored 2008, 2016, 2011, and four Coastal Division titles. But okay. The onus is on the new guy now so let's give him breathing room and see how it goes. But diminishing previous accomplishments to make any comparison easier for him ain't getting it at all.

Animal02

Banned
And that's the ironic thing is so.many have complained for the past few years about how we need to ditch the triple and move to a pro style offense and now we are and people still complain
The reality is that our offense is much weaker than we all thought and that making said transition isnt going to be as easy as people thought.

If Collins inherited the kind of offense cpj had his first year we might fair better

Coaching is much weaker.....throwing the players under the bus is pathetic.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Based on his offense from Temple there is an RPO in his spread and his QBs do run. He may talk pro style, but what he will run is the basic vanilla shotgun RPO or zone read offense. (I predict anyway.) Something like UNC ran against Clemson yesterday, but Mack has a doozy of a QB to run it. And the guy is built like a FB on top of it. (Which is why getting him running lateral, as they did on the 2-point conversion fail, is a good idea. )
Well. Your protest might carry more gravitas if you had not ignored 2008, 2016, 2011, and four Coastal Division titles. But okay. The onus is on the new guy now so let's give him breathing room and see how it goes. But diminishing previous accomplishments to make any comparison easier for him ain't getting it at all.

2016 was not a good year. We weren’t ranked for a single week. If that is your standard for success then I’m afraid we just disagree on what being successful is. In college football it’s all about the rankings.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer

Completely agree with you that this staff will never be as good at making lemonades out of lemons. That’s not what they were brought in here for.

LibertyTurns

Banned

Collins & P’nut picked the offense they wanted to run. Nobody twisted their arms. They inherited players, they recruited players, players left after consultations, etc. They obviously feel whatever they’re running has the best possibility of putting points on the board. They could have slowly transitioned away from the TO but they decided plow ahead & it’s not working. I was disappointed they had 2 weeks to figure this out & what we saw yesterday was the best they could come up with. Does not reflect well upon the OC & OL Coaches imo.

Scubapro

Banned
Collins and crew will never finish better than third in the Coastal....even if they have 3+ years of top ten recruiting.
They are that weak at game planning and coaching.
This will be another era of what ifs

At least I will have plenty of elbow room and bourbon in the stands

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Collins and crew will never finish better than third in the Coastal....even if they have 3+ years of top ten recruiting.
They are that weak at game planning and coaching.
This will be another era of what ifs

At least I will have plenty of elbow room and bourbon in the stands

Strong opinion there.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
2016 was not a good year. We weren’t ranked for a single week. If that is your standard for success then I’m afraid we just disagree on what being successful is. In college football it’s all about the rankings.

It was a lot better than the new standard being set. :ROFLMAO:

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck

I'll give you 2008 but 2011 and 2016 were nothing special. Only reason people look back at 2008 and 2016 fondly is because of the crazy comebacks against UGA. That's why I didn't include them with 09 and 14 which were actual special seasons.