GT needed a change

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
GT needed a change for the fan base. I am very happy Monken was not hired as this year and next will be tough no matter who is the coach. All losses would have been blamed on the TO versus the real issue of the last AD and the low level of spending on program (last in the ACC).

I can't say I am a believer in the current coaching team. Yes, I think the recruiting will improve on the offensive side of the ball and will stay about the same on defense (lets see how attrition plays out).

The hype and the stretching of reality gives me pause. Hype can only take you as far as the field, but it will not get you through a game.

People were so ready for something different, something like what UGA did, they did not stop to look at what GT was hiring. Two seasons of 8/4 at Temple with no major change in recruiting. Fans bought the same hype Collins is selling the new recruits.

If you listen to the fans, you'll end up in the stands. All this calling to pass is crazy. The team is not setup to pass. Play TO and play something like Pitt runs. (but i am a fan, don't listen to me). I bet Collins thought he could practice throwing on Citadel before he had the game put away. Get new players and then transition.

Find an effective identity on O and let the D continue to improve. We have who we have at least for 3 to 4 years.

I am not opposed to Monken should we need a change in 3 to 4 years. I don't want to be Duke, WF, or Vandy with an additional handicap of being a stem school... why should we out recruit these guys much less UGA and Clemson?

Animal02

Banned
GT needed a change for the fan base. I am very happy Monken was not hired as this year and next will be tough no matter who is the coach. All losses would have been blamed on the TO versus the real issue of the last AD and the low level of spending on program (last in the ACC).

I can't say I am a believer in the current coaching team. Yes, I think the recruiting will improve on the offensive side of the ball and will stay about the same on defense (lets see how attrition plays out).

The hype and the stretching of reality gives me pause. Hype can only take you as far as the field, but it will not get you through a game.

People were so ready for something different, something like what UGA did, they did not stop to look at what GT was hiring. Two seasons of 8/4 at Temple with no major change in recruiting. Fans bought the same hype Collins is selling the new recruits.

If you listen to the fans, you'll end up in the stands. All this calling to pass is crazy. The team is not setup to pass. Play TO and play something like Pitt runs. (but i am a fan, don't listen to me). I bet Collins thought he could practice throwing on Citadel before he had the game put away. Get new players and then transition.

Find an effective identity on O and let the D continue to improve. We have who we have at least for 3 to 4 years.

I am not opposed to Monken should we need a change in 3 to 4 years. I don't want to be Duke, WF, or Vandy with an additional handicap of being a stem school... why should we out recruit these guys much less UGA and Clemson?
My fear is Monken ends up in the ACC not at Tech.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Does our debt matter?

Knight commission on NCAA by college scares me .

The way this us playing out is like a bankruptcy avoiding last gasp in search of an uptick.

Tstan is putting on a happy face.

I hope we get the up tick.

Never mind - lets ta lj k football

Back to Change we can all believe in--
LETS HAVE A GOOD DEFENSE.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t think we needed a “change” from the triple option as much as maybe we needed a change from CPJs triple option. I kind of agree that it was time for him to step aside, but ONLY because he refused to evolve his scheme. I think if we had brought another 3O coach in that could/knew how to develop a credible passing threat...just a threat...that’s all that would have been needed to keep defenses from pinning their ears back and coming after us like good defenses did late in CPJs tenure...that it could have been a much easier transition for us offensively. And add to that a focus on defense..a strong defense could still be recruited for, as it’s independent of offense (for all the people that say we couldn’t recruit elite level talent because of the 3O). A passing THREAT and strong defense and the 3O’s efficiency on offense gets downright hard to beat week in, week out.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Think Citadel with MUCH better players.

Honestly, the TO is an offense that is designed for teams that have restrictions that do not allow them to compete on a level playing field with the big boys. The academies have adopted it because it was th inly way for them to remain competitive and the data is quite clear that it has worked nicely for them.

The argument has long been that big time players don't want to play in that offense and hence your recruiting will drop off. I had thought that was what happened at GT. I concede (and embrace) @Longestday 's point that the recruiting problems may have simply been a lousy AD who starved the football program of the resources it needed. I guess we'll never know if the nay-saying fans who bitterly argued over this point were correct that it hurt recruiting or not. But the results did definitely tail off.

My one concern is that even with a good AD now in TStan, we still are an Institute with severe restrictions which will not allow us to compete head-on with the big boys. I don't think this can be overcome with hype, or even money (although that helps). I think the Institute will always hamper GT from competing the way the SEC (and now Clemson) competes.

Our fan base bravely declares that we don't want to be like them, but then complains bitterly when we lose to them consistently. As O'Leary famously complained, we want to be Harvard during the week and Notre Dame on weekends. (I think he actually used different schools as examples, but you get my point.) Clearly our fan base doesn't know how to run a football program.

Let's hope our AD and Head Coach do.

Last edited:

LibertyTurns

Banned
If Monken did not learn CPJ’s lesson, he’s not as smart as I think he is.

Coaching at the academy is a special job. You’re working with the best of the best, a caliber of individuals dedicated to teamwork at its most basic level. They’re selfless, self-motivated, not selfish, disciplined personally & professionally, etc. You’re developing future leaders in large numbers, people who will go on to do things that are important. You play football & can at a high level, but it’s not a football school. The camaraderie is hard to describe. It’s really a different job & I bet if you asked CPJ he’ll tell you his worst move in his professional life was leaving the academy to preside over a fractured GT fanbase, many of which disliked him from the moment he arrived. GT wanted a Bentley on a Yugo budget, got a Corvette and bitched/was dissatified because there wasn't a spare tire in the trunk and it required maintenance.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Does our debt matter?

Knight commission on NCAA by college scares me .

The way this us playing out is like a bankruptcy avoiding last gasp in search of an uptick.

Tstan is putting on a happy face.

I hope we get the up tick.

Never mind - lets ta lj k football

Back to Change we can all believe in--
LETS HAVE A GOOD DEFENSE.

Re bankruptcies, so what? It's just a financial issue. Re-organize and get back to work. One of the problems GT has is idiocy. MBob was investing in all sorts of non-rev sports, no? OK, fine ... but non-Rev is built on the backs of Rev so fix that first. So many decisions taken out of order ... but I only know what I read and hear.

Animal02

Banned
If Monken did not learn CPJ’s lesson, he’s not as smart as I think he is.

Coaching at the academy is a special job. You’re working with the best of the best, a caliber of individuals dedicated to teamwork at its most basic level. They’re selfless, self-motivated, not selfish, disciplined personally & professionally, etc. You’re developing future leaders in large numbers, people who will go on to do things that are important. You play football & can at a high level, but it’s not a football school. The camaraderie is hard to describe. It’s really a different job & I bet if you asked CPJ he’ll tell you his worst move in his professional life was leaving the academy to preside over a fractured GT fanbase, many of which disliked him from the moment he arrived. GT wanted a Bentley on a Yugo budget, got a Corvette and bitched/was dissatified because there wasn't a spare tire in the trunk and it required maintenance.
In general I agree......Not sure what Monken is making at WP, and not sure what he could demand at a P5 school........$$$$ often overwhelm common sense. ;)

Animal02

Banned
No way monken leaves army anytime soon. That's a sweet job, free housing I'm pretty sure.
He makes a little under 1 Million a year at WP
Meanwhile in the ACC
Duke’s David Cutcliffe is 46th in the listings at $2,613,638, Wake Forest coach Dave Clawson is 62nd at $1,827,370

So he would more than double his income taking over at Duke. Doubling your income can buy a lot of housing.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Looking at the media guide, we really dont have a whole lot of coaching experience. I believe that collins got his staff together for branding, taking over the 404 etc. Marco Coleman wasnt even coaching when this years seniors were recruited.

I fully believe that there will be a good amount of turnover once the culture is established. It will be about 2 per after year 3.

We are fine. We drank the koolaid, but made ourselves believe that we could and would win 9+ games this year.

This is a major shift, top to bottom. Maybe other schools will follow our model if they are cash strapped and need a culture change.

As I've said, I'm not going anywhere. I'll support any team or coach that wears the GT. Dont make stupid decisions like not coming to games or not donating to AT fund or AI2020. Those things will help us get to where we want to be.

Dont forget, it took God 6 days to create the universe. Time will tell, but I can see the bright light at the end of the tunnel. CGC might not take us to the mountain top, but he will establish the base camp, if nothing else.

THWg!!!!

GTFLETCH

Banned
Looking at the media guide, we really dont have a whole lot of coaching experience. I believe that collins got his staff together for branding, taking over the 404 etc. Marco Coleman wasnt even coaching when this years seniors were recruited.

I fully believe that there will be a good amount of turnover once the culture is established. It will be about 2 per after year 3.

We are fine. We drank the koolaid, but made ourselves believe that we could and would win 9+ games this year.

This is a major shift, top to bottom. Maybe other schools will follow our model if they are cash strapped and need a culture change.

As I've said, I'm not going anywhere. I'll support any team or coach that wears the GT. Dont make stupid decisions like not coming to games or not donating to AT fund or AI2020. Those things will help us get to where we want to be.

Dont forget, it took God 6 days to create the universe. Time will tell, but I can see the bright light at the end of the tunnel. CGC might not take us to the mountain top, but he will establish the base camp, if nothing else.

THWg!!!!
I agree Tobias Oliver doesn't deserve to be treated this way... He probably grads and transfers Like Parker..... I never thought 9+games... I thought 6 and a bowl... But that looks liek it might be to much to ask from this coaching staff.... I hope we can keep this class together

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

THWg!!!!

Based on his performance thus far I’m not sure he can build the porta pot at the airport in Kathmandu much less the base camp at Everest. Your faith in him is strong though.

He can turn things around. But not by digging his heels in and repeating stupid decisions. (Not talking about the cheesy slogans and such those are part of his soul and there ain’t no changing that).

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think we needed a “change” from the triple option as much as maybe we needed a change from CPJs triple option. I kind of agree that it was time for him to step aside, but ONLY because he refused to evolve his scheme. I think if we had brought another 3O coach in that could/knew how to develop a credible passing threat...just a threat...that’s all that would have been needed to keep defenses from pinning their ears back and coming after us like good defenses did late in CPJs tenure...that it could have been a much easier transition for us offensively. And add to that a focus on defense..a strong defense could still be recruited for, as it’s independent of offense (for all the people that say we couldn’t recruit elite level talent because of the 3O). A passing THREAT and strong defense and the 3O’s efficiency on offense gets downright hard to beat week in, week out.

Johnson's refusal to adapt killed any chance at Monken getting the job here after him. I was at southern when he was coach there. I think he's a great coach, and am glad he isn't at GT because he'd have been walking into a terrible situation that would likely set his career back. Half the fanbase would already be against him because of the offense, and he'd be inheriting a team with a significant number of flaws that was going to need to be rebuilt no matter what. Some people don't want to see it but we were on a decline under Johnson the past several years. Our defense was poised to take a big step back due to losses, and it wasn't good to start, and the offense lost a good bit as well.

Also, Monken's a good coach but he isn't a miracle worker. He went 6-18 at Army his first two years just a one game improvement from the previous two years. For good reason. They weren't set up to win. Neither are we. He would have needed time to get things going here, and a big part of hiring him would have been to avoid that kind of thing.