GT needed a change

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
Well my memory of your posts only goes back about a year or so. None were very flattering of the last staff and you made zero points worthy of going back to look them up. I’d as soon run over my foot with my pickup. ;)

Please do. Hopefully you'll be in the hospital for a while and spare us from your awful posts. ;)

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
And that's why we moved away from the TO once CPJ retired. The silent customers stopped showing up to games. If CGC loses for the next few years the same thing will happen to him.

Can I ask a question? Who cares?

With the payouts for the ACCN, actual game day attendance isn’t as important as it used to be. The money is in programming ... and selling content.

Our payouts aren’t dependent on scheme.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
Well my memory of your posts only goes back about a year or so. None were very flattering of the last staff and you made zero points worthy of going back to look them up. I’d as soon run over my foot with my pickup. ;)
I was big cpj fan and never talked bad about him and always defended him...

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck

With the payouts for the ACCN, actual game day attendance isn’t as important as it used to be. The money is in programming ... and selling content.

So what was your point about silent customers? o_O

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck

Says I have been complaining for the past 11 years but only remembers my posts from the past year. How does that work? You must be some kind of psychic or something.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
Y’all are gonna laugh at this but I wish we had a coach that dressed like a man almost 50 years old , what grown man wears skinny pants? If he wins I won’t care but he’s not at the moment , I didn’t like winning 7 games a year with Gailey or Paul , but at this point 7 wins would be a banner year. Football games are won in the trenches , Collins is recruiting well, but I’ve noticed some of the olinemen we’re getting are 270-285, a lot of our opponents have ones that are 330 , it’s frustrating, it really is , I blame our administrators more than anything , they don’t care if we compete in athletics as long as we strive to be MIT of the south

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Doesn't our relative income matter?

The sec has way more income/ revenue than the acc.

We are near bottom and others are trending up.
Does that difference matter?

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
You do understand that the AT Fund operates through the season ticket holder program? Lose STH’ers, and you have to raise a pile of private money. And that’s not covered by the ACCN payouts.

So you say actual game attendance isn't important but we also need season ticket holders to support the AT Fund? It sounds like the same thing to me.. lose season ticket holders you lose actual game attendance. That's what I was saying earlier.. we weren't selling tickets like we were at the beginning of his tenure.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Doesn't our relative income matter?

The sec has way more income/ revenue than the acc.

We are near bottom and others are trending up.
Does that difference matter?

The OP was around “silent customers”.

If you want to talk revenue, we need to be at parity with our peers. The SEC is not a peer. But ... for most of us ... it is a good idea of what we want.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
So you say actual game attendance isn't important but we also need season ticket holders to support the AT Fund? It sounds like the same thing to me.. lose season ticket holders you lose actual game attendance. That's what I was saying earlier.. we weren't selling tickets like we were at the beginning of his tenure.

I think the STH base has historically hovered around 22,000 regardless of the TO.

Attendance can and most likely will drop. But not all attendance is the same. TStan needs to make sure donations continue regardless of venue.

LibertyTurns

Banned
We got a quick surge out of the gate on season ticket sales, then crickets since about May. If I was the AD, I’d be holding onto my butt right about now. The real tale of the tape will be next year when we don’t have the mutt on the schedule. We have some additional ACCN revenue coming in this year ($3M) which is good for about 7500 seats annually, but we markedly increased expenses on top of our woes in order to change the culture. We’re currently projecting budget headwinds thru 2023 despite increasing revenue by nearly $18M per year. The Mercedes deal brings in $10M and that’s a big help getting out of the red. Ultimately I believe it will come down to butts in the seats because ticket prices will need to rise. We’re in an arms race now because that’s the plan. The upside is there, but make no mistake the downside could be extremely ugly. If this does not work out, GT sports could be significantly crippled for a very long time unless we got a sugar daddy waiting in the wings to bail us out.

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah, my optimism is waning. Coming off a loss to an FCS team should have lit a fire under everyone. Add to that a bye week should have given us a solid game plan. We scored zero offensive points. I’m rooting for Collins not only as a GT coach but as a person. He has worked his tail off, moved from job to job, all to get to this point in his career. I really hope he has the ability to take charge of his career and make the tough decisions vis a vis a coaching staff. It’s obvious he is a below average game day coach so he has to rely on his strengths which are personality and recruiting. He needs to find a bright young offensive minded coach and let that guy run the offense while he sits in the CEO role.
I like CGC's enthusiasm and the hard work he's put in, too. I'd like to see him succeed as a person as well. If it's true Tech has been his dream job from day 1, then you really wish him success at that. I don't know how good of a coach Dabo really is, but he's certainly a good CEO type of coach. Many criticized him early on for being a bit of a cheerleader, but his system works, and Clemson has the money to pay for the CEO and the competent staff he can delegate everything to. Anywhere else in Div-1 football, Venables would be a head coach. At Tech we currently can't afford that. We can't do that sort of CEO cheerleading stuff.

Not all coaches are coaching geniuses, but some can make up for it with hard work. If I were in CGC's shoes, in the offseason I'd be reading and studying all the great coaches of the past, their philosophies, what made them winners, etc. Try to apply that to the current situation... Look for young, up-and-coming coaching talent. Ask for advice from retired coaches on the golf course... whatever it took to get better. Learn from the mistakes of failed coaches like Butch Jones and figure out what made them failures. We all know that players need to pracice and develop to get better. Some famous players have even been called "a student of the game" for their dedication to learning. Coaches are no different in their need for constant improvement.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
No matter who the coach is, I've always supported GT. So yeah, maybe it is wishful thinking right now. But it's not like he's going to leave anytime soon so might as well try to be excited and optimistic.

Everyone need to read this and read it again. That's where I am at. It will be a whole lot easier if we all understand that this is a process that will take 2-3 years...

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Three years of sub .500 and there will be no more process.
Concdering how our AD hasn't fired Josh Pastor yet , expect Collins to be here for a bit .
You may be done with Collins already but I fully expect TS to give Collins his full time here

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk