GT needed a change

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
You can’t describe this year and last year with the same adjective. This year is many orders of magnitude worse than last year.

Of course this year is worse... I'm just explaining why there are different reactions for terrible performances this year. Don't really care what you think about my choice of adjectives.

Scubapro

Banned
Because it is PNodes fault that Oliver fumbled twice?!?! Seriously, some play calls were def. questionable, but a lot of what happened today was on the players. I saw some guys slowing up when running after ball carriers, I saw WRs and QBs that were NOT on the same page, meaning WR running a different route than QB expected. I saw bad decisions on ST to run out of the endzone and another run from like the 1 instead of a fair catch. There was a bad call on the sideline catch that was "out of bounds". All ONodes fault huh? Wow....
Everything you described is coaching. Players play the way they are coached in practice.

Scubapro

Banned
Now now now, we can't have people criticizing the current coaching staff.....it MUST be the players or the former coaching staff:rolleyes:
Yeah...at least PJ was man enough to be at a live radio event.
Waiting on Geoff to answer some live questions with fans. Bring P-nut along for color.
Yes, we are short on talent BUT not devoid. I can forgive quite a bit when it comes to a transition year but not losing to Citadel and scoring ZERO against Temple....read that again...we were SHUT OUT versus Temple.
People like to say, "Look at Ross his first few years". That is garbage. I dont see any similarities.
If you want to draw a comparison look at Oleary after taking over from Billy Boy. They were short on talent esp the O line but they were well coached. If they lost it was usually not because they were out coached.
Collins is four games in and has given us two of the worst four losses in the last twenty years.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Another snarky content free post that kind of accuses a poster of making up a story. Not to the point of calling him a liar.

What stat would show that the old jocks said going TO was a bad stategic move?
I donate a fair amount but never talk to or am around ex gt jocks. I think the BIG donors would be privy to those contacts and opinions. How do u think trend gt donations compare to acc and sec
My $$ report is coming .
You are not a skeptic.
Just to note it was one of those "I knew it all the time but kept it to myself" things. Tell me when it happens. Not a decade later when it fits the narrative.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Assuming Georgia Tech brings in some "pro style" quarterbacks this year... You have to imagine Oliver, Johnson, Yates, and Graham will all transfer out. Someone will go to Georgia Southern because they run the option... New Mexico... some other places that have running QB schemes.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I predict GT will be running the option again by 2022.

But we'll never do the TO again. It was a great experiment to see if we could compete without money.

But you can't.

I went to the Auburn - MS State game last night. Impressive turnout ... 87,000. And what was more impressive was the facilities paid for by very wealthy alumni.

If TStan is going to make a mark, he has to get alumni money to commit to the athletic programs. Real money. And the TO won't bring in that kind of dough.

Money is ultimately what it is about.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
With the on-field season deteriorating before our eyes, let’s really go all in and pump up the “culture” thing! I say we bring in celebrities from Atlanta’s hip-hop scene each week to be our Offensive Coordinators! Think of the non-stop social media buzz (no pun intended) and the likely significant improvement of our sideline dancing!

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
If there is one thing I have learned so far it's that some coaches do great there first season and others strike out. Look at saban he didn't exactly have a great first season either,
We got real lucky with cpj his first season being that we had pretty decent recruits as well as having teams on their heels with the triple
This season more and more looks like it will be a wash for us, and really shows the level of difference we have had with recruits and how well cpj coached them up.

While not seeing any week to week improvement on offense is disappointing, I still believe Collins will get this right , but it may take longer than most people are willing to wait

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Vespidae,

Depends on what you mean by "compete"... Is it the goal of every program to win national championships? Lets look at this logically for a second... What gives Georgia Tech, specifically, the best chance to win?

To me, its a smothering defense and the triple option offense. Woody was flat out a bad hire. He had good stats at App State, but going with the 3-4 at Georgia Tech is a tall order. Georgia Tech needs to play a 3-3-5 or 4-2-5.. In fact, Navy is #1 in total defense right now with a new defensive coordinator, Brian Newberry.. They hired him from Kennesaw State, and he runs a 4-2-5. His Kennesaw State defenses were really good. Thacker is now running a 4-2-5 scheme at Georgia Tech and the results are much better. It's the proper defense to run unless you have elite talent. I would establish a tradition as a defensive powerhouse and get the best players in the country for running the triple option. Those are achievable goals at Georgia Tech, no doubt about it.

If I were the Athletic Director, I would spend a lot of money on a great defensive coordinator that runs a scheme suitable for the program... Meaning, the best 4-2-5 coach I can possibly hire. Then I go out and hire Jeff Monken to be the head coach and run the offense. Then I adjust the schedule to start off with 4 straight wins every single year. Blow up the scoreboard with rushing stats, put up some video game numbers, etc. This brings attention to the program. Doesn't mean you have to schedule Citadel... but I'd bring in Georgia State, East Carolina, Florida International, Bowling Green, UTEP, Rice, every year and put on a clinic. Some good Monken examples from the past 2-3 years:

Army beat UTEP 66-14
Army beat Houston 70-14 (an 8 win Houston team)
Army beat Rice 50-12
Army beat San Jose State 52-3

How many years will it be before Georgia Tech can beat someone like that?

I'd start every season off like that... No shame in it. They aren't FCS teams... Generate some enthusiasm... Schedule up every now and then and play Tennessee, Arkansas, South Carolina, and other teams in your recruiting area.

In other words, I would get more deliberate about planning to win. Guarantee bowl games every season.. And not the 6 win variety unless you are having a really bad year... You start off 4-0 every year and you are likely winning 7-8 games even in a down year.. And every now and then you get hot and make a run like in 2014. Oklahoma, with all its ability, money, top 5 recruiting classes, Heisman winners, etc has not won a national championship in nearly 20 years. Think about that for a second. 20 years is a REALLY long time. They may finally do it this year, but that shows how insanely difficult it is to compete at that level with everything being favorable to you. USC has everything going for it as well, and has been dark for awhile. It's really difficult at the P5 level. There are many examples of this...

Just my two cents...

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I am waiting until the 2019 recruiting class is signed. He has some good players committed so far but can we hold on to them with a bad season that is unfolding. If he stumbles into mediocre recruiting and keeps this staff he will not succeed here. My hope is that he is creating an atmosphere that talented kids want to be part of. I also think there is some OJT still happening with our coach.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Vespidae,

Depends on what you mean by "compete"... Is it the goal of every program to win national championships? Lets look at this logically for a second... What gives Georgia Tech, specifically, the best chance to win?

To me, its a smothering defense and the triple option offense. Woody was flat out a bad hire. He had good stats at App State, but going with the 3-4 at Georgia Tech is a tall order. Georgia Tech needs to play a 3-3-5 or 4-2-5.. In fact, Navy is #1 in total defense right now with a new defensive coordinator, Brian Newberry.. They hired him from Kennesaw State, and he runs a 4-2-5. His Kennesaw State defenses were really good. Thacker is now running a 4-2-5 scheme at Georgia Tech and the results are much better. It's the proper defense to run unless you have elite talent. I would establish a tradition as a defensive powerhouse and get the best players in the country for running the triple option. Those are achievable goals at Georgia Tech, no doubt about it.

If I were the Athletic Director, I would spend a lot of money on a great defensive coordinator that runs a scheme suitable for the program... Meaning, the best 4-2-5 coach I can possibly hire. Then I go out and hire Jeff Monken to be the head coach and run the offense. Then I adjust the schedule to start off with 4 straight wins every single year. Blow up the scoreboard with rushing stats, put up some video game numbers, etc. This brings attention to the program. Doesn't mean you have to schedule Citadel... but I'd bring in Georgia State, East Carolina, Florida International, Bowling Green, UTEP, Rice, every year and put on a clinic. Some good Monken examples from the past 2-3 years:

Army beat UTEP 66-14
Army beat Rice 50-12

I'd start every season off like that... No shame in it. They aren't FCS teams... Generate some enthusiasm... Schedule up every now and then and play Tennessee, Arkansas, South Carolina, and other teams in your recruiting area.

In other words, I would get more deliberate about planning to win. Guarantee bowl games every season.. And not the 6 win variety unless you are having a really bad year... You start off 4-0 every year and you are likely winning 7-8 games even in a down year.. And every now and then you get hot and make a run like in 2014. Oklahoma, with all its ability, money, top 5 recruiting classes, Heisman winners, etc has not won a national championship in nearly 20 years. Think about that for a second. 20 years is a REALLY long time. They may finally do it this year, but that shows how insanely difficult it is to compete at that level with everything being favorable to you. USC has everything going for it as well, and has been dark for awhile. It's really difficult at the P5 level. There are many examples of this...

Just my two cents...

I actually agree with this.

Bear Bryant spoke about this and I jumped up yesterday when Gene Chizik mentioned it: “If you can generate 8-10 explosive plays a game (30 yards or more), you should win consistently. Maybe not all of them, but most of them.”

The TO does that.

Strong defensive. Good enough offense. That’s Top 25.

I think there is no way we win running anything conventional.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
We got real lucky with cpj his first season being that we had pretty decent recruits as well as having teams on their heels with the triple
Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

From 2008 to 2014, GT averaged a rank of 26 in D1 in total yards...and we rarely passed. That’s one heck of a lucky streak and the last couple of those years were all Johnson recruits.

In 2015, everyone on the team seemed to get hurt...to the point I thought we may have to use the cheerleaders. 2016 was a pretty good season and 2017 and 2018 were on par with most seasons since Dodd, excluding 1990 and 1998. If you look and wins and losses since Dodd, it is easy to see that we occasionally have a really good season, regardless of coach or scheme.

The real story is that a lot of folks didn’t want to watch the TO and didn’t want to put their money behind it, either through donations or ticket sales. In addition, a lot of recruits, especially NFL-seeking recruits, didn’t want to play in it because they thought it would hurt their draft stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I would establish a tradition as a defensive powerhouse and get the best players in the country for running the triple option. Those are achievable goals at Georgia Tech, no doubt about it.

. Blow up the scoreboard with rushing stats, put up some video game numbers, etc. This brings attention to the program.
Just my two cents...

A reasonable plan but my thoughts/$.02. Are the goal of being a defensive powerhouse and running the TO mutually exclusive? Depends on your point of view...some believe that CPJ could have done so if he had the $ to bring in his DC of choice. Others say the elite recruits don't want to come where they may have to scrimmage against it (or the perception they do). I tend to fall in the latter camp. CPJ cycled through so many DC's that it supports that their were/are systemic issues.

My other point....I was growing weary of video game numbers against inferior opponents and/or teams that didn't face us annually then grinding to a halt against teams like Duke or Minnesota (forget GA or Clemson).
While I agree that this O has been painful so far, that doesn't rebuke my point. These players aren't accustomed to or recruited for the style our new staff wants to run.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
Right now that prospect is a lot better than where we were.

Your hypocrisy is laughable. You used to ignore our Orange Bowls and cry about mediocrity. Now y’all are promoting not winning a FBS game for three years so we can recruit better.

Ya...laughable.

Who ignored orange bowls? I said last few years. 5 years ago wasn't included in that. We were mediocre outside of 2009 and 2014, most fans want to have a chance at consistent 9 + win seasons.

Who is promoting not winning FBS games for three years? Idk where you get some of this stuff.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Vespidae,

Army beat UTEP 66-14
Army beat Rice 50-12

Just my two cents...

I say we fire T-Stan and hire you as AD.