GT - ND postgame thread

Jolly Good Fellow
We score to make it 31-13...... then have to call time-out before we go for two.... Seriously?
Did we not have a 2-pt play package ready for this game?
And why do we come out of every short yardage time-out running a flea flicker, double reverse, statue-of-liberty, bull **** trick play that never works in the backyard, much less against a disciplined ND defense???
Geoff should have put Harvin in and faked a punt....that woulda tricked 'em.....

Deleted member 2897

We have 1 linebacker on the entire team who is an upperclassman and played linebacker before college. That position will plague us.

Deleted member 2897

I am up to 2 different posts now deleted by the Mods for defending our team and program. Seems normal.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
He wouldn't have made it. 2 guys had the angle on him so I think he did the smart thing and just got down. I would have liked to see him throw it away, but it's hard to fault him for trying to make a play.

The play to be made there was passing to the receiver before hand. Once he took off there wasn't much chance he was going to get to the sideline.

roedeo

Jolly Good Fellow
ND returned 5 starters on the OL, 3rd year starting qb, a bunch of returning defensive players. Their D really stifled GTs offense, and sometimes it seemed as though Sims took too long on his reads which led to many bad outcomes.

Except for Ivey, a freshman, their OL towered over our DL. And he played very few reps.

It was a low enthusiasm crowd, but the home team gave them few reasons to get excited, from the outset with the 10 minute death march.
I think better days are ahead. Every team will gain and lose players in ‘21 so we’ll look different then, hopefully in a better way.

Attachments

• B7DA9A60-B7CE-43B2-91B7-A5E73E3B755D.jpeg
    B7DA9A60-B7CE-43B2-91B7-A5E73E3B755D.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 45

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
When it’s the #4 team in the country, 31 points is actually not that bad. You can exclude multiple drives and make excuses a d color it however badly you want, but 31 points given up is not bad.
Even including the final drive of Nd, 31 points in 10 drives is not good. I don’t think we were atrocious, but tonight was not a good showing. There are other things to worry about, but we shouldn’t beat our chests because ND scored 31 points in 10 attempts.

crl85

Jolly Good Fellow
Why is ESPN saying we are 2-13-1 against ND all time on their bottom line ticker?
That’s not true but keeps flashing up as I watch the uva game.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
The lack of a downfield passing game is so frustrating. Now Brown looks to be hurt which makes it even worse
Seems that Sims missed a few open down field passes. I haven't rewatched and can't remember if he was under pressure, but it seems to happen allot with him.

I do know one of them the receiver got tangled with a db early in the route so that one is not on Sims

I just don’t understand the play calling with our backfield. We shouldn’t throw the ball short unless it’s 3rd and short. We need to take vertical shots over and over and pound our run game.
But we don't need to be incessantly trying to run over the middle, especially against a D-line the size that ND had. This may have already been mentioned, but do we ever run a called screen pass, or is that just a desperation play that Simms uses when he gets trapped. Those desperation screens NEVER work.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I just don’t understand the play calling with our backfield. We shouldn’t throw the ball short unless it’s 3rd and short. We need to take vertical shots over and over and pound our run game.

Our pass blocking isn't great, and Sims has poor awareness of the rush. That adds up to sack city if he's asked to hold the ball trying to make deep throws.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Why is ESPN saying we are 2-13-1 against ND all time on their bottom line ticker?
That’s not true but keeps flashing up as I watch the uva game.
This is NOT including today's game:

35 Games​

Notre Dame leads series, 28-6-1
Record when both teams are ranked: Notre Dame leads, 4-1-0
Record when both teams are in the top 10: Notre Dame leads, 1-0-0
Record when only Georgia Tech is ranked: Georgia Tech leads, 1-0-0
Record when only Notre Dame is ranked: Notre Dame leads, 10-1-1
Longest winning streak by Georgia Tech: 1 game
Longest winning streak by Notre Dame: 6 games
Most points scored by Georgia Tech: 35 (1999-01-01)
Most points scored by Notre Dame: 69 (1977-11-05)
Largest margin of victory by Georgia Tech: +30 (2007-09-01)
Largest margin of victory by Notre Dame: +55 (1977-11-05)

Or instead of moving to this vanilla offense, which will never succeed, you run something like Georgia Southern or Coastal Carolina a few years to transition. Or stay with that. I think the Coastal staff looks pretty good, maybe after next year we can get them here.
If CGC follows your suggestion then we don't get Sims, Gibbs, Williams, Jam Griffin, Ahm Brown, Ezzard and a few others

You want some kinda BS hybrid offense, to satiate your desire for Ga Southern-CPJ style FB that doesn't work on the Pwr5 level

Might as well rip the band aid off, the issue is not with Collins, the issue is with TStan that refused to let CGC "process guys" that weren't a fit for the new GT FB Program and refused to let him "Roster Mgt" in a way necessary for GT FB to have the best chance to compete & WIN

For example, having guys like Yates at QB is a waste of 2 potential "man-yrs of eligibility" that could've been used on a player that can help us WIN, how many other guys like Yates do we have?

They are called FB Scholarships, meaning you have to play FB at a certain level to keep the scholarship - the same way that an Academic Scholarship requires you to do certain things Academically to keep the scholarship

In 2020 GT FB can no longer do things like Bobby Dodd and be the fine Southern Gentleman that guarantees every Player(s) that fails to live up to the "FB Side" will still get a GT Degree, anyone that gets Recruited by GT that doesn't pan out for us will still get a free College Degree, it just might not be from GT

I can live with that, if GT Plans on seriously competing, then the masses will have to accept this ideology and live with it also

It's time the GT Fanbase takes long look in mirror and change who we are and what we are willing to do to win games, only then can we complain about what is acceptable wrt on field results