GT - ND postgame thread

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It's time the GT Fanbase takes long look in mirror and change who we are and what we are willing to do to win games, only then can we complain about what is acceptable wrt on field results

The fan base? The fan base doesn’t provide tuition waivers. Or degree waivers. only the Hill can do that.

Tech is a small alumni base, urban school. The tide is against it being a Top 10 program ... it might could be Top 25.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Did you see that bowl btw? We were bent over and physically dominated by Minnesota. Let that sink in. Not Clemson. Not Uga. Not OSU. But a mid to low-tier Big Ten 10 team. Because, then, like now, we did not compete on the LOS. We were and remain in a hole.Remains to be seen how long we stay in it.
Lol. This is so weak, but since I have seen it so many times, I have to respond. You mean the same Minnesota that ended up winning 11 of its next 13 games and being ranked #10 in the nation?

The lack of a downfield passing game is so frustrating. Now Brown looks to be hurt which makes it even worse
Learn something about FB strategy (depending on who you are frustrated with)

ND's secondary was squatting looking at the QB the entire time waiting to break on passes for INTs or big hits on our WRs

The reason:

Out OLine was so overmatched ND's secondary had no fear of getting beat deep because the time it takes for a deep pass route to develop would take more time than our overmatched OLine can give to our QB, guess what else, our TE is so slow and so outmanned athletically that ND could man up in him and fly like hell to the flats to cover Gibbs out of the backfield and get to him almost at the same time as Sims' passes

For those that don't understand Big Boy CFB, ND never had to "play us honestly on Defense" because we were so outmanned on the OLine

For those that need a primer on Pwr5 CFB strategy, here is rule #1 - Recruiting is responsible for 80% of a HC's success, #2 - Blocking & Tackling is the only runner up to rule #1

All you guys talking about what Sims missed or what miracle play the HC & OC didn't call, just don't understand what Brent Key calls " Big Boy FB"

What happens in both Trenches is what determines how your opponent plays you, right now Teams don't have to play us honestly because we are woefully overmatched at the most critical position Groups on the Field

The fan base? The fan base doesn’t provide tuition waivers. Or degree waivers. only the Hill can do that.

Tech is a small alumni base, urban school. The tide is against it being a Top 10 program ... it might could be Top 25.
Nah Pal

I'm talking about "processing" & "Roster Mgmt" ala Nick Saban & Bama

With HST, Business, & Communications we have enough majors to be on ND's Level given the fact that 80 out of the Top100 Recruits in Georgia are Academic Qualifiers as FB Recruits for GT, in fact ND's 6-4 220 lb Safety from Marist was an Academic Qualifier that we missed out on, instead of the previous HC cultivating a relationship when he was a HS Soph, CGC had to try to overcome a late start after he was hired

We have too many Players on scholly doing the bare minimum to keep their scholly and all they care about is getting inside connections to get an interview for a cushy starting job (relative to other new Grads) when they Graduate

At some point all 85 Guys on scholly have to give a damn about winning, and not just what their "GTAA connections" can do for them

For example:

At Ohio State Urban Meyer used to cull the bottom 6 to 10 guys each offseason from the bottom of the Roster, you lose 15 to 20 Srs due to expired eligibility, that leaves 65 to 70 guys coming back, and then he'd process 10 in some yrs, 6 in other yrs based on how hard they were working at being great FB Players

GT refuses to do this, a message needs to be sent to our FB Team that GT FB & winning is the #1 things in your Life while you are at GT, and if you make Academics #1a you can still graduate with a great Education along the way

IMO I don't think this is the case with many GT FB Players, I think many are on "cruise control" just waiting for their GTAA Connections to get them some Interviews lined up

TStan & CGC has to send the message that GT FB better be the most important thing in your Life if you want to be here

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Nah Pal

With HST, Business, & Communications we have enough majors to be on ND's Level given the fact that 80 out of the Top100 Recruits in Georgia are Academic Qualifiers as FB Recruits for GT, in fact ND's 6-4 220 lb Safety from Marist was an Academic Qualifier that we missed out on, instead of the previous HC cultivating a relationship when he was a HS Soph, CGC had to try to overcome a late start after he was hired

We have too many Players on scholly doing the bare minimum to keep their scholly and all they care about is getting inside connections to get an interview for a cushy starting job (relative to other new Grads) when they Graduate

At some point all 85 Guys on scholly have to give a damn about winning, and not just what their "GTAA connections" can do for them

For example:

At Ohio State Urban Meyer used to cull the bottom 6 to 10 guys each offseason from the bottom of the Roster, you lose 15 to 20 Srs due to expired eligibility, that leaves 65 to 70 guys coming back, and then he'd process 10 in some yrs, 6 in other yrs based on how hard they were working at being great FB Players

GT refuses to do this, a message needs to be sent to our FB Team that GT FB & winning is the #1 things in your Life while you are at GT, and if you make Academics #1a you can still graduate with a great Education along the way

IMO I don't think this is the case with many GT FB Players, I think many are on "cruise control" just waiting for their GTAA Connections to get them some Interviews lined up

TStan & CGC has to send the message that GT FB better be the most important thing in your Life if you want to be here

I am so glad we have someone as smart as you on the board who can make blanket statements about our players and their priorities in life just by...watching them?

I am so glad we have someone as smart as you on the board who can make blanket statements about our players and their priorities in life just by...watching them?
OK, I'll play along:

Tell me what you see when you watch our Team?

Cause if you plan on saying generic BS like "bad coaching", that won't work

I watch a tons of CFB on Saturdays and from what I see, Clemson-Bama-Ohio State don't run different plays than the rest of us with horrible W-L Records, in fact they run the same friggin ' plays, they just run them with much better Players with much strong Lines on both sides of the Ball

To quote former NY Giants HC Jim Fassell, "there are no geniuses in the Coaching business, you have a bunch of P.E. Majors coaching other P.E. Majors"

Too many GT Fans like you act as if " genius coaching" is some magic elixir that can be sprinkled on outmanned Talent and then miracles will happen on Game Day

You might as well hope for the GT version of "Angels in the Outfield" if that's what you believe

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I hope those of you criticizing the staff right now are still around when we have 22 Jeff Sims and Jahmyr Gibbs playing in a few years.
Idk if 40 Gibbs would help this coaching staff. Thacker couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag. Collins cannot game manage to save his own child's life. Pnut calls 75% of a good game but thay 25% that is bad is REAL BAD. Like head scratching bad. Like does he have early dementia bad.

I'm convinced the only 3 coaches worth a damn are Key, Choice and Coleman. Coleman has developed domineck into a monster. Choice is our best recruiter bar none, he connects with the youth, while Key gets all the country boy linemen to like him with him talking about "fishin and huntin". They were smart with those 3 hires. The rest? Idk. Morpheous was the next best hire after those 3 and he got poached. Time will tell if next year we are seeing the same crap. If we are Collins has to clean up some of the house. Could be a youth thing, but even the youth are capable of improving week to week.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
OK, I'll play along:

Tell me what you see when you watch our Team?

Cause if you plan on saying generic BS like "bad coaching", that won't work

I watch a tons of CFB on Saturdays and from what I see, Clemson-Bama-Ohio State don't run different plays than the rest of us with horrible W-L Records, in fact they run the same friggin ' plays, they just run them with much better Players with much strong Lines on both sides of the Ball

To quote former NY Giants HC Jim Fassell, "there are no geniuses in the Coaching business, you have a bunch of P.E. Majors coaching other P.E. Majors"

Too many GT Fans like you act as if " genius coaching" is some magic elixir that can be sprinkled on outmanned Talent and then miracles will happen on Game Day

You might as well hope for the GT version of "Angels in the Outfield" if that's what you believe
I mean... the triple option sure did sprinkle some magic. Paul's best classes were half the talent of the uga and clemson teams we beat. I wouldn't want to go back to it, but there are plays to be called that will equalize the other team. I refuse we to believe we are out talented by BC, Syracuse, and UCF lol. If thats true we are screwed no matter what.

Lets put it this way, there are no geniuses coaching football, but there are some dummies that refuse to change things that don't work week to week. Like forcing a square peg in a round hole thinking eventually it will work if you just "try hard enough", or "you put in EFFORT".

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Nah Pal

For example:

There’s *some* truth and good points here. But most of this is ridiculous accusations and expectations that doesn’t fit what Georgia Tech is, has been, or should be. If you want football to be #1 and all that matters, there’s a school that might be a little more your style 70 miles east of Atlanta. Georgia Tech is special because of the people involved with it. What you want severely cheapens that connection and brand.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I think what makes me the saddest is this. My son is home from college this weekend and we watched the game. When it was winding down I went upstairs to get a drink. He said to me "dad, doesn't all this make you mad?" I said, no , I have no emotion at this point because I just don't expect us to win". And I am one of the biggest fans we have.
Then stop watching and commenting on here if that’s the case. Go enjoy your life.

How you feel is how 95% of the fan base felt the last 2 years of Johnson. Honestly the last 4. 2016 was great because we beat the dwags, but myself and most others knew that meant we were stuck with him for a few more years knowing what that meant.

I don’t enjoy watching us lose every week, but I’m smart enough to set realistic expectations. You obviously didn’t and now you’re so bothered by it that you don’t care so much you complain about it constantly on here and oline for the TO like it’s some magic bullet. It’s not anymore. It can help us beat average teams and lose by less to good teams.

It’s not coming back. My suggestion is take a year and a half off and come back when Sims is a junior and we have a legit OL and DL. We will be better next year, but my guess is 6-7 wins max. 2022 is the year we will be competitive within the ACC and have a chance to pick off somebody like ND.

Kennethshannon20

Jolly Good Fellow
What do you all think of the players reactions in the post game conference? They are starting to get down, very noticably less confident and positive than they were earlier in the season. Hope they aren't falling apart.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Their performance wasn’t better tonight just because worse games exist. Hope that clears it up.
This makes no sense. “Just because we played worse before doesn’t mean we played better.” Playing better by definition is better than when you played worse. Anyone watching could see the defense played better today. That doesn’t mean they played great or even good. But they were definitely better.
Don't worry some people have a harder time with logic than others.
See above

Idk if 40 Gibbs would help this coaching staff. Thacker couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag. Collins cannot game manage to save his own child's life. Pnut calls 75% of a good game but thay 25% that is bad is REAL BAD. Like head scratching bad. Like does he have early dementia bad.

I'm convinced the only 3 coaches worth a damn are Key, Choice and Coleman. Coleman has developed domineck into a monster. Choice is our best recruiter bar none, he connects with the youth, while Key gets all the country boy linemen to like him with him talking about "fishin and huntin". They were smart with those 3 hires. The rest? Idk. Morpheous was the next best hire after those 3 and he got poached. Time will tell if next year we are seeing the same crap. If we are Collins has to clean up some of the house. Could be a youth thing, but even the youth are capable of improving week to week.
You are a little off base my friend

If you look at the size, speed, quickness, change-of-direction Talent that Gibbs possesses relative to his position, if we had 40 guys like that on the Roster spread out among different positions, we'd be 4 to 5 TDs better than than anybody on the College Level and all our Coaches would make nothing but great Playcalls and look like geniuses

To add to your !ist above our WR Coach has done a pretty good job also, also I have no issues with CDP given how much our OLine handicaps what he wants to do

At some point you have to look at the Players, the rules from HS to college change very little for most positions so we shouldn't be making as many mistakes and getting penalized as much a we do

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Maybe CGC should have been more upfront but it's staring you guys in the face. We tore it down to the ground and started over. Set your expectations accordingly and this won't hurt as much

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Then stop watching and commenting on here if that’s the case. Go enjoy your life.

How you feel is how 95% of the fan base felt the last 2 years of Johnson. Honestly the last 4. 2016 was great because we beat the dwags, but myself and most others knew that meant we were stuck with him for a few more years knowing what that meant.

I don’t enjoy watching us lose every week, but I’m smart enough to set realistic expectations. You obviously didn’t and now you’re so bothered by it that you don’t care so much you complain about it constantly on here and oline for the TO like it’s some magic bullet. It’s not anymore. It can help us beat average teams and lose by less to good teams.

It’s not coming back. My suggestion is take a year and a half off and come back when Sims is a junior and we have a legit OL and DL. We will be better next year, but my guess is 6-7 wins max. 2022 is the year we will be competitive within the ACC and have a chance to pick off somebody like ND.
Ehh... I think 2022 is im perfect conditions. Barring injuries transfers and coaches leaving like Choice or Key. This can very easily be a 6-7 win program under Collins as it has been for all coaches. We may land 20-30 ranked classes and still max out at 8 wins. My expectations are that the hype is cool, branding is cool, but what sells a brand better than anything actually winning national championships. I do not see that with Collins. The idea that all good coordinators make good coaches just because they care and try really hard is completely idiotic. Collins will eventually end up at Bama, or Clemson or Ohio state as a d coordinator where he honestly belongs. Can he be a Dabo? If we had the funding. To be a Dabo he has to get clemson, bama, ohio state, ND, fsu, Florida type money. Money matters. More than people think.

The whole little engine that could crap is annoying. Either they need to start brainwashing these foreign kids that come to GT for academics that football is their only way to a degree and donating is a must to being a good American or we are screwed. Most alumni are "smart" with their money and penny pinch. We don't have the fanbase of people who make 20-40k a year but buy 3-5k worth of GT merchandise/tickets/donations. Uga is swimming in that glory pot. Every trailer park in ga has uga gear loaded up. Their checks go to cigarettes, cheap piss beer, and a new uga hat or polo so they can look "fAnCy" for their date with Betty Sue at the local waffle house. Then once they get serious they SAVE UP to go to a uga game and sit 2 rows from the top of the stadium.

We don't have dedication like that. There is a reason why Clemson, bama, and uga have what they have, they have convinced thousands or hundreds of thousands to buy into their program and to live for their programs.

I see it all the time. Local gas stations where the guy will be about 5'10 130lbs soaking wet, 45 years old but looks 70. Buying a case of cigarettes, and natty light, yelling go dwags. He has uga stickers all over his 94 olds mobile that wreaks of smoke, and drives off saying THIS IS THE YEAR!

Coming from working at a sporting goods store in college I have seen several parents come in and put uga merchandise on a layaway type program and then come in the week of Christmas to pick and choose what they can afford of the $75 dollars worth of uga stuff. I eventually asked a couple if they go to the games, and they said yes they try to when they can save up to take the family (which is understandable having 2-3 kids. 5 tickets is expensive for anyone for 3 hours of possible entertainment). I then asked were they alumni? They said no. So I asked do they donate to the program? Or are they just big sidewalk fans.

The guy mentioned they send a $500 dollar check to the uga football program every Christmas as a gift to his kids and the family in hopes it helps them win next year. He mentioned that uga football is their entire life, and he wants uga the dog sketched on his tombstone when he dies.

This man NEVER ATTENDED uga.

We DO NOT have that type of dedication in this fanbase. The blindly giving away of money.

Thats what it takes. Thousands of people buying into a program and the program being what they base their life around.