GT - ND postgame thread

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
@yellowjacketabe Totally respect your reply. I've just gotten a little too frustrated the past few weeks. I'm still on board with coach and the rebuilt. But just a little frustrated to see mistakes week after week not being fixed, or kicking issues continue. I get were under a rebuilt and young, but also seems there is a disconnect between many of us on expectations during this period.

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I was at the game. The decision to go for it on 4th and 2 in our own territory late in the 2nd Q was a bad decision. The offense had done nothing and we were very fortunate to have chance to go in halftime down 14-7 and to get the kick-off in the 2nd half. Instead of punting them deep with 3-4 minutes left in the half, CGC goes for it, giving ND great field position against a tired defense and an easy chance to score again. Another example that CGC is a weak game manager.

The defense played with great effort. I was down close and could see it. But the inability to get off the field on 3rd down is infuriating.

The field goal kicking is inexcusable. How many high school teams are worse than we are at kicking?

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
One thing that really pleased me, during the last few seconds of the game, Notre Dame was trying to let C'Bo Flemister to score a touchdown. Tech's defense stopped him around the 1 yard line. If you remember, Flemister was a Tech commit and then decommitted to go to ND. Too bad C'Bo.
I was impressed by our D there too. ND could have taken a knee there, but since they did not, I am glad we stuffed it.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Simple question... On what became the last play of the first half, why didn't Sims try to get out of bounds and give us a shot at one more play, instead of cutting up field and sliding down?
He wouldn't have made it. 2 guys had the angle on him so I think he did the smart thing and just got down. I would have liked to see him throw it away, but it's hard to fault him for trying to make a play.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
He wouldn't have made it. 2 guys had the angle on him so I think he did the smart thing and just got down. I would have liked to see him throw it away, but it's hard to fault him for trying to make a play.
Problem is, there is no play for him to make with <10 seconds on the clock and him running the ball into traffic starting around midfield. The ONLY play that might have mattered would have been a deep throw and maybe a catch or a PI penalty.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I was at the game. The decision to go for it on 4th and 2 in our own territory late in the 2nd Q was a bad decision. The offense had done nothing and we were very fortunate to have chance to go in halftime down 14-7 and to get the kick-off in the 2nd half. Instead of punting them deep with 3-4 minutes left in the half, CGC goes for it, giving ND great field position against a tired defense and an easy chance to score again. Another example that CGC is a weak game manager.

The defense played with great effort. I was down close and could see it. But the inability to get off the field on 3rd down is infuriating.

The field goal kicking is inexcusable. How many high school teams are worse than we are at kicking?
I wanted him to punt the ball too, but I didn't mind the decision to go for it. We just needed a better play call. Maybe let Sims roll out with an option to throw or run.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Problem is, there is no play for him to make with <10 seconds on the clock and him running the ball into traffic starting around midfield. The ONLY play that might have mattered would have been a deep throw and maybe a catch or a PI penalty.
You never know. If he gets a 1st down, we could spike the ball and throw a hail mary. Just didn't think it was a bad decision by Sims.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
My take - take it or leave it, IIWII

- Love the uniforms
- Our lines and linebackers, as a whole, are not p5 quality (but, to some degree this has been true for a long while)
- The coaching staff we have, except Choice, is not getting it done (showing player growth and improvement) in my opinion - right now, I have no confidence that this staff can have success, even if recruiting can stay in the top 25-30, and I still think that it will be difficult to keep that recruiting momentum with performances like are being seen each week
- Our HC would be better served as a coordinator or position coach - don't believe he has what it takes to be the head guy (deer in headlights and now getting very defensive)

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
You never know. If he gets a 1st down, we could spike the ball and throw a hail mary. Just didn't think it was a bad decision by Sims.

From my couch, I didn't think there was a chance for him to make a first down. Beyond that, if he did, I'm not sure we'd have gotten off another play. But that's just one fan's perspective.

Deleted member 2897

I think what makes me the saddest is this. My son is home from college this weekend and we watched the game. When it was winding down I went upstairs to get a drink. He said to me "dad, doesn't all this make you mad?" I said, no , I have no emotion at this point because I just don't expect us to win". And I am one of the biggest fans we have.

Maybe fan better then. It’s not unusual to expect a loss against an undefeated #4 team in the country with the top defense on the ACC - yes it’s even better than Clemson’s.

Deleted member 2897

Sims can still improve. But 2 interceptions in the last 4 games is not bad - especially considering that included 3 of the top 5 defenses in the ACC and 2 of the top 4 teams in the country.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
From my couch, I didn't think there was a chance for him to make a first down. Beyond that, if he did, I'm not sure we'd have gotten off another play. But that's just one fan's perspective.
Yeah, I didn't think he was going to get it either, just trying to think along with Sims. I'd rather have him do what he did and make a good decision protecting the ball than throw it up and have a pick.

Deleted member 2897

The fact that we were worse in other games does not make today better. Forcing a team to take 9 plays to score doesn’t matter when they score a touchdown on 50% of their non-garbage time drives.

When it’s the #4 team in the country, 31 points is actually not that bad. You can exclude multiple drives and make excuses a d color it however badly you want, but 31 points given up is not bad.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
2019 type game

Can’t scheme around bad OL play. Just outmanned yo front

Really tough to play defense when you have 9-10 players vs. 11.

Little league coaches teach LBs that once the QB scramble outside of the pocket to your side come out of your zone and rush him. Didn’t see that once
Never played linebacker, but it's okay to tackle the QB behind the line. Watched a certain linebacker actually *let up* and let the QB throw an uncontested pass well behind him.

It's one thing if you are in coverage but he didn't have anyone within 10 yards of him.

Sims...and Gibbs...were getting murdered in the backfield.

Camp had a really nice catch. Fumble recovery was fun. We kept it close for a while but just could not consistently move the ball against their D.

Milwaukee

Banned
Notre Dame defense is the real deal, I was shocked they were better on D than I thought going in.
Sims is off, his overall football awareness concerns me. He is young and he will grasp things better with each game. The fact that he’s still a true freshman next year is really needed for his development imo.
Gibbs looked a step slower than usual to my eyes. Anyone else think that? I’m sure he’s dinged up but is there an official ankle or knee issue he’s having? He’s our best player by far. Where is Jamious? I haven’t seen him for a couple games now. I’d like him to split snaps with Gibbs and JP.
I want Key to take over most of the operations on gamedays, let him run the sidelines, make the decisions, etc and let Collins just work the officials and make sure all the coaches are doing their jobs. I doubt a HC would take a backseat like that but I think it would be smart of him. He’s still the boss, but let Key manage the game. Just my opinion.
Overall I’m not upset at all, still really excited about this team and staff going forward.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Notre Dame defense is the real deal, I was shocked they were better on D than I thought going in.
Sims is off, his overall football awareness concerns me. He is young and he will grasp things better with each game. The fact that he’s still a true freshman next year is really needed for his development imo.
Gibbs looked a step slower than usual to my eyes. Anyone else think that? I’m sure he’s dinged up but is there an official ankle or knee issue he’s having? He’s our best player by far. Where is Jamious? I haven’t seen him for a couple games now. I’d like him to split snaps with Gibbs and JP.
I want Key to take over most of the operations on gamedays, let him run the sidelines, make the decisions, etc and let Collins just work the officials and make sure all the coaches are doing their jobs. I doubt a HC would take a backseat like that but I think it would be smart of him. He’s still the boss, but let Key manage the game. Just my opinion.
Overall I’m not upset at all, still really excited about this team and staff going forward.
ND has a ton of speed on defense. This was the first time I've seen them this year and they were flat out getting after it. I dthink this had a little to do with Gibbs looking slower. He had that extra gear on the wheel route though in the 4th. Jamious has been dinged up the last couple of weeks.

Deleted member 2897

The play was there l, and for a big gain but for some reason 70 (I think it was - the guy who pulled) whiffed on his block. I dont think he even touched the guy.