GT - ND postgame thread

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
You are a little off base my friend

If you look at the size, speed, quickness, change-of-direction Talent that Gibbs possesses relative to his position, if we had 40 guys like that on the Roster spread out among different positions, we'd be 4 to 5 TDs better than than anybody on the College Level and all our Coaches would make nothing but great Playcalls and look like geniuses

To add to your !ist above our WR Coach has done a pretty good job also, also I have no issues with CDP given how much our OLine handicaps what he wants to do

At some point you have to look at the Players, the rules from HS to college change very little for most positions so we shouldn't be making as many mistakes and getting penalized as much a we do
I mean I agree the players have made mistakes on penalties, but that is also the coaches job to reduce it. They shouldn't be playing in a game after so many penalties in a year.

Gibbs is good, but we really would need 40 Gibbs to be decent with this staff.

The oline hasn't been awful. We were number 1 in the ACC in sacks allowed. They have messed up in some areas but we have kept Sims upright for the most part. It's up to him to read the defense. I'm starting to think he has never had to read a defense before. He looks like a 6yr old counting on his fingers and toes trying to figure out the D sometimes. He rarely sees a blitz coming presnap. He has zero pocket awareness even though he has been sacked less than any other ACC QB. He also tends to overthrow EVERYTHING over 15 yards.

I am hoping a full off-season sets him straight. But the idea of every player developing is absurd. Some guys just peak. I never rely on players to develop. Gibbs as a freshman is already a top 25 rb in the country. Development for him means being a hesiman candidate. Sims has a long ways to go before he is above average. Right now he is like a laptop with a killer hard drive, graphics card, and 4k screen. But his processor is just too slow to make it all work. The college game is still way too fast for him out there, and it may not ever slow down. It should but there is still a decent chance it won't. We can't depend on kids going from an 10TD 15INT season to a 25 TD 5INT season. He probably ends up somewhere in the middle. I'd say his best year will be 18-20 TDs and 11-14 INTs. When its said and done. Which is good, but not great. Not enough to be a first round pick like they said on TV today. Idk what they are smoking.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
What do you all think of the players reactions in the post game conference? They are starting to get down, very noticably less confident and positive than they were earlier in the season. Hope they aren't falling apart.
I think the upper classmen are realizing they aren't that good. That the FSU game was flukey. Honestly if we started the year with anyone else and played FSU now, I think we lose. That game took everything for us to win and they weren't that good at all.

We have the talent but I swear our players think way too much. Especially on defense. They are either not thinking at all or overthinking to the point they blow coverage.
I've never seen a team leave so many WRs wide open.

There’s *some* truth and good points here. But most of this is ridiculous accusations and expectations that doesn’t fit what Georgia Tech is, has been, or should be. If you want football to be #1 and all that matters, there’s a school that might be a little more your style 70 miles east of Atlanta. Georgia Tech is special because of the people involved with it. What you want severely cheapens that connection and brand.
Based on the last 2 years of USN&WR Top US Colleges, GT is consistent in the mid30s usually between 33 & 35 in the Rankings, UGA is in the low 50s from 55 up to their all time best ranking of #50

For all the cheap shots that GT Fans take at UGA's Academics they are pretty damn close to GT given that about 1,000 colleges get Ranked Nationwide, 20 to 25 slots doesn't mean much when 500 to 1,000 Colleges are being ranked

I read what you wrote above and I raise you with some current day reality that proves that the UGA of 2020 isn't the UGA of decades gone by

How good of a school is UGA in 2020?

Damn near 100% of GT Alums would be absolutely thrilled if their child could get accepted to UGA with a chance to use the Hope Scholarship of course, I'm basing this on what I hear from Metro Atl GT Alums

Before I go, you said "this" doesn't fit what GT should be, my response is WHY?

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Based on the last 2 years of USN&WR Top US Colleges, GT is consistent in the mid30s usually between 33 & 35 in the Rankings, UGA is in the low 50s from 55 up to their all time best ranking of #50

For all the cheap shots that GT Fans take at UGA's Academics they are pretty damn close to GT given that about 1,000 colleges get Ranked Nationwide, 20 to 25 slots doesn't mean much when 500 to 1,000 Colleges are being ranked

I read what you wrote above and I raise you with some current day reality that proves that the UGA of 2020 isn't the UGA of decades gone by

Damn near 100% of GT Alums would be absolutely thrilled if their child could get accepted to UGA with a chance to use the Hope Scholarship of course, I'm basing this on what I hear from Metro Atl GT Alums

If my future child wants to go to UGA he/she will have a pretty good chance of being disowned.

Kennethshannon20

Jolly Good Fellow
I think the upper classmen are realizing they aren't that good. That the FSU game was flukey. Honestly if we started the year with anyone else and played FSU now, I think we lose. That game took everything for us to win and they weren't that good at all.

We have the talent but I swear our players think way too much. Especially on defense. They are either not thinking at all or overthinking to the point they blow coverage.
I've never seen a team leave so many WRs wide open.
100% agree. And we sacrifice too many tackles trying to strip the ball instead of wrapping up. First man up should wrap, next man can try to strip.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Just observations in the midst of a team that’s learning, mostly.

Sims badly locks onto spots, not sure what he sees. I think that’s why he hits some defenders squarely in the numbers as they are positioned between the spot he wants and his WR, who is coming into the area. I thought up to now that he was staring down his Wr but today he seemed determined to go to a spot, DB and LBs are following his eyes to the spot. My impression is that the OL isn’t as good as some think in protection and being a true freshman Sims is getting nervous feet, he seems rushed in his stature in the pocket, almost like he’s thinking he has to get rid of it ASAP, and his pocket awareness is poor, hence the fumbles when he’s hit ( I don’t think he is feeling the real pressure because he’s feeling pressure in general, of course I’m most likely wrong. There were plays where he read his checks but his feet never stop moving as he was in the pocket. I think the long pass to Camp was a second or third read though, which is good.

This is a complaint and I’ll admit it. I just don’t understand our LB play ! I watch one of them in particular and I just don’t understand what he sees or is doing. There is a lot of dancing when a linemen is in his way, almost as if he ( our LBer) is a ball carrier trying to juke a tackle. On other plays he goes 100 MPH into the gap or the scrum, often it’s the wrong gap and it looks like he thinks he can blow up the scrum Rather than playing over the top and meeting the RB coming out the end. On another play he paralleled the scrambling QB and kinda danced that juking crap 5 yards in front of the QB when there was nobody between them. He never committed to going toward the QB, that resulted in another 3rd down conversion On a pass completion, I think he did the same thing on NDs first TD.
Can someone watch NDs rushing TD after our 3rd quarter fumble (when ND drove down and went up 24-7) and tell me where our LBer was going on the TD run ? The RB scored by running exactly where our LB vacated to blast into a gap on the opposite end of the play. Again I may be wrong but someone please explain what he’s doing or what you think he’s doing, please ! I don’t think he’s reading the field, angles or anything else. It’s almost as if he makes up his mind before the play and just blast a spot on the snap. Maybe that’s what they want him to do, when he blast the right gap he looks like he’s making an awesome play, I’m not sure given the fact that the next play he will be totally out of position again. I think our LBer play alone is the reason we give up so many 3rd downs. They just aren’t where I think they are suppose to be.

I’m half asking and half bitchin, Ibeeballin can you help me ? What are our LBers doing or not doing ? Are they out of control ?

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
BTW, even with my frustrations noted, how many top 10 teams are we gonna play ? My God it seems like every week we are facing the # 1,2 or 3 team in the country. Even when we come back Pitt won the division last year, they aren’t gonna be push overs ! Then it’s Miami down there !

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

UGA is the flagship university for the state who is widely considered to be the capital of the south. The state also houses the most populous metro area within the south. It’s no surprise that UGA is a good school, they’ve got tons of resources to work with. The vast majority of highly touted politicians, journalists/communications workers, agricultural workers, and other liberal arts specifications from the state of Georgia go to/graduate from UGA. Just like the vast majority of highly touted engineers from the state of Georgia go to Tech, and the 2 split business majors relatively evenly (although Tech’s is generally ranked higher.)

UGA is not some sort of outlier as a “football school” who also has reputable degrees. There’s a ton of blue blood football programs on the country belonging to their respective state’s flagship universities, and many of those universities are highly ranked. The majority of the top ranked public universities are “football schools,” and the ones that aren’t are “basketball schools.”

But all of that has nothing to do with what you’re suggesting. What you’re suggesting is that Tech throws away its reputation and starts processing kids who “don’t prioritize” football more than anything else. That’s ridiculous for 2 reasons. 1) you literally don’t know anything about what a 20 year old kid is prioritizing in their life. 2) teaching kids to prioritize football or get left in the dust is a terrible way to prepare somebody to enter the real world. That’s what college is supposed to be about. That’s what this most recent shift in college sports spending has caused people to forget. Sure, there’s always been schools/coaches that are crooked and win at all costs, but that’s not what the vast majority of colleges and student athletes have been about. It’s damn sure not what Georgia Tech has been about. There’s no reason to start now.

Plus, processing kids is a terrible way to build inroads into high school programs that Tech desperately needs to make strong connections with. You know why Urban Meyer and Ohio State, or Alabama, or Georgia, or Clemson, or whoever you want to say can “process” players without repercussions? Because they’ve built their brand and programs up so strong that it doesn’t matter what they do. Players will still want to go there regardless. Do you seriously think Tech has the power to process 10 kids in a class and see zero negative recruiting because of it? It’s not logical.

Tech will never be a program that can stack up to the likes of Ohio State and Alabama, there’s no point in trying to be one. Especially if you're going to ruin a century’s old reputation chasing that unrealistic goal. Georgia Tech’s job is to prepare young adults for life in a meaningful and impactful way. “Paving the way for the future.” Pulling somebody’s scholarship because you missed on your projections is not the way to do that. I’d be willing to be that most people who are on board with that idea also hate the transfer portal and recruits who take their time and weigh all of their options.

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
Honestly, at this point a 4th down try is more fruitful than a FG statisticallly
No excuse for a P5 D1 program to be in this position with kicking game in season 2 of a new staff...what are we doing with kicking recruiting and special teams coaching? Majority of top High School teams have much better kicking games...

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
The overall outcome wasn't great, but there were a lot more plays made by our defense this week than the past couple. The problem was we weren't consistent enough to turn those individual good plays into stops. Not every drive that ends in a TD sees the same level of defense. One of the reasons for the lower number of possessions this week was because our defense played better forcing ND to take longer drives because their plays weren't as effective on a per play basis. But they have a good OL, a senior QB, and a good RB. They are well built to do that against a team they clearly have a talent advantage against.
Well said. I thought our D clearly played much better with more energy. They could have easily melted down again with the lack of help they got from the O. Obviously the O struggled mightily. Sims missed some passes that could have made this a much closer game. He keeps over throwing the long balls and/or it sometimes appears our receivers don't keep running hard through their routes...

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
Not a good game. D was ok, saw some improvement. But man the offense was not in the game at all. I know this was a top 5 team, but had we not hurt ourselves again we couldn't have been in it. Collins isn't building confidence with the fanbase or media that his coaches and coaching are helping improve things . What's his excuse this week
“Positivity over a long period of time builds programs” or whatever tf he said.

GTBaseball

Georgia Tech Fan
Tech will never be a program that can stack up to the likes of Ohio State and Alabama, there’s no point in trying to be one. Especially if you're going to ruin a century’s old reputation chasing that unrealistic goal. Georgia Tech’s job is to prepare young adults for life in a meaningful and impactful way. “Paving the way for the future.” Pulling somebody’s scholarship because you missed on your projections is not the way to do that. I’d be willing to be that most people who are on board with that idea also hate the transfer portal and recruits who take their time and weigh all of their options
We know we'll never be Ohio State or Alabama, but does it take much to at least go 8-4?

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I noticed that Demetrius Knight got more playing time yesterday. It appears to me that Knight can play as well as our other linebackers. I think he spelled Curry twice yesterday. Just my opinion, Curry does not appear to be fast, but he's tough, has huge arms, 6'2" and 230 lbs. Not full time, but give him a few snaps at defensive tackle.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
2019 type game

Can’t scheme around bad OL play. Just outmanned yo front

Really tough to play defense when you have 9-10 players vs. 11.

Little league coaches teach LBs that once the QB scramble outside of the pocket to your side come out of your zone and rush him. Didn’t see that once
So are our coaches telling LBs not to do this? At one point Curry ran up to the QB and just shuffled his feet in front of him while he waited for a receiver to get open...which of course happened and then they completed a pass

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Simple question... On what became the last play of the first half, why didn't Sims try to get out of bounds and give us a shot at one more play, instead of cutting up field and sliding down?
That entire series of events was yet another example of poor clock management by our coaches and QB. On first down with 13 seconds left and one timeout, why on Earth would you burn the TO? You only have two plays anyhow...spike the ball and save the time out to get a possible chance at a third play if you make a miracle catch.

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow
But we don't need to be incessantly trying to run over the middle, especially against a D-line the size that ND had. This may have already been mentioned, but do we ever run a called screen pass, or is that just a desperation play that Simms uses when he gets trapped. Those desperation screens NEVER work.
We ran a couple of called screens yesterday and they got blown up in the backfield because offensive linemen whiffed on their blocks. People keep wanting to "pound the rock" and "run screen passes to Gibbs" but you gotta have an o line to do these things and we just aren't their yet. Better than last year, yes, but still not where we need to be.

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow
Just my opinion, Curry does not appear to be fast, but he's tough, has huge arms, 6'2" and 230 lbs. Not full time, but give him a few snaps at defensive tackle.
He's already basically one of our defensive tackles every time he "blitzes" and runs directly into a big offensive lineman and can't get off the block. And now you want him to do that without a 10 yard running start?