GT - ND postgame thread

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Conversations related to HC comparisons are being moved to

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
With my moderator hat on: If you want to discuss firing coaches, we have a thread for that. This is not it.

With my mod hat on the hall hat rack: ND is a good team. They are not as good as Clemson when TL is in the lineup, but they are good. Their OL is really good and allows Book to stand in the pocket as long as he needs. They play five TE that are really good. On D they are one of the best teams in the country. If you thought we would win today and are pissed off that we lost, you are just not in my universe.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Conversations related to HC comparisons are being moved to
I was confused for a second. Sorry for being off topic.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Because..... recruiting is a fools errand. We will not ever (in modern college football) recruit the kind of DL size and length and we will never recruit the depth needed to be Elite (TM) or to compete At A High Level (TM). So you’ve got to be different. To do otherwise is to be stuck in the middle which means lots of 5-7 win years and you’ll need to out coach and compete to get anything beyond that. There is no evidence in 1.5 yr that this staff can pull that off.

1) Exactly what were players going to be evaluated on with no camps & some states not playing football? Don’t forget to include transfer in your recruiting analysis

2) If you keep saying something doesn’t make it true in who we can and can’t get

NorthAvenueNation

Jolly Good Fellow
2019 type game

Can’t scheme around bad OL play. Just outmanned yo front

Really tough to play defense when you have 9-10 players vs. 11.

Little league coaches teach LBs that once the QB scramble outside of the pocket to your side come out of your zone and rush him. Didn’t see that once
Coaches coach, but players play the game.
Teachers teach, but students take the tests.

Not sure if the little league comment was a shot at the current coaching staff... regardless, as you know, players play the game.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Simple question... On what became the last play of the first half, why didn't Sims try to get out of bounds and give us a shot at one more play, instead of cutting up field and sliding down?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I just want to say we played a great game and the coaches called a great game. and our kicking how could you like like what you saw. We controlled the LOS our OL pushed their DL in our backfield.
I got to get some more beer before I sober up.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
You mean this mid to low tier B10 team

That then beat Auburn in their bowl.

Minnesota Golden Gophers Schedule 2019​

Regular Season
DATEOPPONENTRESULTW-L (CONF)HI PASSHI RUSHHI REC
Thu, Aug 29vs South Dakota State South Dakota StateW28-211-0 (0-0)Morgan 176Smith 92Bateman 132
Sat, Sep 7@ Fresno State Fresno StateW38-35 2OT2-0 (0-0)Morgan 234Ibrahim 88Bateman 105
Sat, Sep 14vs Georgia Southern Georgia SouthernW35-323-0 (0-0)Morgan 289Smith 57Johnson 140
Sat, Sep 28@ Purdue PurdueW38-314-0 (1-0)Morgan 396Smith 115Bateman 177
Sat, Oct 5vs Illinois IllinoisW40-175-0 (2-0)Morgan 155Smith 211Bateman 71
Sat, Oct 12vs Nebraska NebraskaW34-76-0 (3-0)Morgan 128Smith 139Johnson 109
Sat, Oct 19@ Rutgers RutgersW42-77-0 (4-0)Morgan 245Smith 111Johnson 130
Sat, Oct 26vs Maryland MarylandW52-108-0 (5-0)Morgan 138Smith 103Autman-Bell 56
Sat, Nov 9vs Penn State 4 Penn StateW31-269-0 (6-0)Morgan 339Smith 51Bateman 203
Sat, Nov 16@ Iowa 20 IowaL23-199-1 (6-1)Morgan 368Smith 46Johnson 170
Sat, Nov 23@ Northwestern NorthwesternW38-2210-1 (7-1)Morgan 211Smith 77Johnson 125
Sat, Nov 30vs Wisconsin 12 WisconsinL38-1710-2 (7-2)Morgan 296Ib
LOL. That's not the team that beat the snot out of us. At least have an honest argument

Deleted member 2897

6 has to stay out of the line of scrimmage - it’s just not his bag. If he does get through, he doesn’t get the sack. He needs space between himself and the line to follow the play. He spends most of the game chasing plays. When he has space (like 3 feet between him and the DL) to see the play he seems like a completely different player.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Simple question... On what became the last play of the first half, why didn't Sims try to get out of bounds and give us a shot at one more play, instead of cutting up field and sliding down?
Or just throw the ball away.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Sim's field/game/situational awareness isn't very good. Hopefully that improves. If you want to win consistently, your QB needs good awareness.

Kellen Mond at TAM is a guy who's very talented but it has taken him until his senior year to know when to take a risk, when not to, when to throw the ball away, etc. I hope Sims comes around much faster than that...

NorthAvenueNation

Jolly Good Fellow
Not a good game. D was ok, saw some improvement. But man the offense was not in the game at all. I know this was a top 5 team, but had we not hurt ourselves again we couldn't have been in it. Collins isn't building confidence with the fanbase or media that his coaches and coaching are helping improve things . What's his excuse this week
This is my last reply for the night to a “fan”. Let me explain before you get upset and want to send a snarky reply; I come in peace.

“What’s his excuse this week” is a baseless argument. Correct me if I’m wrong, you’re not a coach, nor are you related to anything inside the football team. Therefore, your pulse of the team is the same as mine: a team that we see in tv once a week abs read about. Neither of us are on the ins and outs of what happens daily on campus and at practice.

Secondly, pick any job you’d like and apply this logic: You won’t nor get the funding you need to make it happen, for at least the first two years you won’t have the team you need as they were hired under a different vision and lastly, you’ll be constantly criticized by folks that think they have a vision and opinion but don’t contribute to the cause other than words.

I say all of this in complete peace; give the process a chance. I hate losing; loved CPJ; have been a fan for a long time; etc. BUT, I realize a change was coming and needed... give it more than 1 year + COVID. Be excited that we have a few 18 year olds that will get an additional year of eligibility!