GT - ND postgame thread

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
The overall outcome wasn't great, but there were a lot more plays made by our defense this week than the past couple. The problem was we weren't consistent enough to turn those individual good plays into stops. Not every drive that ends in a TD sees the same level of defense. One of the reasons for the lower number of possessions this week was because our defense played better forcing ND to take longer drives because their plays weren't as effective on a per play basis. But they have a good OL, a senior QB, and a good RB. They are well built to do that against a team they clearly have a talent advantage against.
They ran 70 total plays in 10 drives. 7 plays per drive is not a lot. We failed getting them off the field. 10-15 on third down conversions was rough. They were definitely the better team, and I’m not upset, but I really am not going to say the defense did well when they gave up a ton of points per possession.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
2019 type game

Can’t scheme around bad OL play. Just outmanned yo front

Really tough to play defense when you have 9-10 players vs. 11.

Little league coaches teach LBs that once the QB scramble outside of the pocket to your side come out of your zone and rush him. Didn’t see that once
I'm reminded of a play in my HS practice where the QB rolled out and the CB had flats with a receiver on an out route. He couldn't decide what to do and got stuck halfway between the two. Coach ripped him a new one, with the takeaway being that you can't cover anyone if you are covering no one. Attack the QB because it takes away the easiest path to a big gain. Force him to make the play.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I'm reminded of a play in my HS practice where the QB rolled out and the CB had flats with a receiver on an out route. He couldn't decide what to do and got stuck halfway between the two. Coach ripped him a new one, with the takeaway being that you can't cover anyone if you are covering no one. Attack the QB because it takes away the easiest path to a big gain. Force him to make the play.

CB is different now lol i wouldn’t advise that but the yes you speed up the decision of the QB

THWG

Helluva Engineer
You mean this mid to low tier B10 team

That then beat Auburn in their bowl.

Minnesota Golden Gophers Schedule 2019​

Regular Season
DATEOPPONENTRESULTW-L (CONF)HI PASSHI RUSHHI REC
Thu, Aug 29vs South Dakota State South Dakota StateW28-211-0 (0-0)Morgan 176Smith 92Bateman 132
Sat, Sep 7@ Fresno State Fresno StateW38-35 2OT2-0 (0-0)Morgan 234Ibrahim 88Bateman 105
Sat, Sep 14vs Georgia Southern Georgia SouthernW35-323-0 (0-0)Morgan 289Smith 57Johnson 140
Sat, Sep 28@ Purdue PurdueW38-314-0 (1-0)Morgan 396Smith 115Bateman 177
Sat, Oct 5vs Illinois IllinoisW40-175-0 (2-0)Morgan 155Smith 211Bateman 71
Sat, Oct 12vs Nebraska NebraskaW34-76-0 (3-0)Morgan 128Smith 139Johnson 109
Sat, Oct 19@ Rutgers RutgersW42-77-0 (4-0)Morgan 245Smith 111Johnson 130
Sat, Oct 26vs Maryland MarylandW52-108-0 (5-0)Morgan 138Smith 103Autman-Bell 56
Sat, Nov 9vs Penn State 4 Penn StateW31-269-0 (6-0)Morgan 339Smith 51Bateman 203
Sat, Nov 16@ Iowa 20 IowaL23-199-1 (6-1)Morgan 368Smith 46Johnson 170
Sat, Nov 23@ Northwestern NorthwesternW38-2210-1 (7-1)Morgan 211Smith 77Johnson 125
Sat, Nov 30vs Wisconsin 12 WisconsinL38-1710-2 (7-2)Morgan 296Ib
That team is 0-2 right now and just lost to Maryland. Besides, the year they dominated us, they were a low to mid tier team.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Please stop saying this is a re-build. The team he took over won 7 games and went to a bowl. He decided to tear down what was there and not use any of the personnel or at least gradually move into something else. If it is said changing schemes is re-build, well CPJ came into a rebuild and won 9 games year 1 and 11 the next with an ACC championship. What I am seeing looks a lot like 1993.
It is a rebuild. If it isn't a rebuild then there is no such thing as a rebuild because this is the definitive example of a rebuild.

Please stop saying he took over a team that won 7 games and went to a bowl. That completely overlooks what we lost that year. For reference, the SP+ ranking for us going into 2019 projected 3.7 wins that year and that doesn't factor in coaching changes at all.

I think what makes me the saddest is this. My son is home from college this weekend and we watched the game. When it was winding down I went upstairs to get a drink. He said to me "dad, doesn't all this make you mad?" I said, no , I have no emotion at this point because I just don't expect us to win". And I am one of the biggest fans we have.

SoMsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Have you ever run or coached an option based offense....trust me, it is as complex as any of them that are out there. I have played and coached in it. Our current offense is much less complex, thus easy to defend.
Not when you have a team that was specifically recruited and coached to play in the TO. Remember, we have a young team that is transitioning to a totally different scheme without the benefit of spring practice and a limited preseason practice to learn the system. Coupled w/ being undersized is a recipe for a difficult transion and season.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
They ran 70 total plays in 10 drives. 7 plays per drive is not a lot. We failed getting them off the field. 10-15 on third down conversions was rough. They were definitely the better team, and I’m not upset, but I really am not going to say the defense did well when they gave up a ton of points per possession.

No offense but that is really shallow analysis. The plays per drive will be an average brought down by 3 and outs, or other short drives with a punt, which is a success by the defense. A better picture will be how many plays they were forced to take to score. They averaged 9 plays on their scoring drives which is a lot. To compare, Clemson was under 5.5. BC was about 7.

And yes, we struggled to get off the field because we weren't consistent enough on defense. I don't think anyone is claiming our defense played great in a vacuum. I think what people are saying, including me, is that our defense did about as well as could be expected considering they were clearly outmatched against a high ranked team. The defense made some plays and put themselves in a position where they could get a stop. but weren't consistent enough with them to completely get off the field IMO our fumble recover was a result of that fact as the more plays you force an offense to take the more opportunities for mistakes there are. We had a couple of drives where we were able to make the needed plays to get off the field, 3 punts and another FGA when they started at mid field.

There is certainly a long ways though and some of our problems just aren't going away this year no matter what.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Not to be harsh but moving from a triple with not a lot of coaches that coach it , this was to be expected . It's easier to transition to the triple than to transition out . Tstan made the decision and let it be known that the triple was out and we had to start clean.
And if things continue like this it will cost TStan his job too

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
IMO - We are still not landing the talent needed to compete for the Coastal, much less the ACC. We might be rebuilding, but the third recruiting cycle doesn’t appear to be significantly different than Collins’ first two. The talent is better suited for the offense though.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
God damned argument every week, it's somehow the triple options fault that we suck. Oh and it's easy to transition to the TO even though your o line is big and slow and no good for what you're trying to do, but it's somehow infinitely harder to transition out of the TO. Y'all are ridiculous

It's ok to admit the staff has gotten off to a bad start. Stop blaming your bad coaching on the TO. It doesn't mean things can't turn around, but it looks weaker when you can't own up to a bad start.

Edit: I swear to God at one point the announcer literally blamed the poor defense on the TO. He's probably one of y'all on this board lol.

God damned argument every week, it's somehow the triple options fault that we suck. Oh and it's easy to transition to the TO even though your o line is big and slow and no good for what you're trying to do, but it's somehow infinitely harder to transition out of the TO. Y'all are ridiculous It's ok to admit the staff has gotten off to a bad start. Stop blaming your bad coaching on the TO. It doesn't mean things can't turn around, but it looks weaker when you can't own up to a bad start.
Or instead of moving to this vanilla offense, which will never succeed, you run something like Georgia Southern or Coastal Carolina a few years to transition. Or stay with that. I think the Coastal staff looks pretty good, maybe after next year we can get them here.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
To compare, Clemson was under 5.5. BC was about 7.
The fact that we were worse in other games does not make today better. Forcing a team to take 9 plays to score doesn’t matter when they score a touchdown on 50% of their non-garbage time drives.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
IMO - We are still not landing the talent needed to compete for the Coastal, much less the ACC. We might be rebuilding, but the third recruiting cycle doesn’t appear to be significantly different than Collins’ first two. The talent is better suited for the offense though.
Because..... recruiting is a fools errand. We will not ever (in modern college football) recruit the kind of DL size and length and we will never recruit the depth needed to be Elite (TM) or to compete At A High Level (TM). So you’ve got to be different. To do otherwise is to be stuck in the middle which means lots of 5-7 win years and you’ll need to out coach and compete to get anything beyond that. There is no evidence in 1.5 yr that this staff can pull that off.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

This is really only CGC's 2nd class.