GT - ND postgame thread

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Not a good game. D was ok, saw some improvement. But man the offense was not in the game at all. I know this was a top 5 team, but had we not hurt ourselves again we couldn't have been in it. Collins isn't building confidence with the fanbase or media that his coaches and coaching are helping improve things . What's his excuse this week

What gets me is seeing BJS and Tobias standing on the sidelines with helmets off, never seeing the field.....really. And I watched the Freshman tackle today....slow feet. Why are we starting him? A comment was made by the commentator that teams all over America are fearing what GT will become........no comment as I fear what we have become.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I don’t really find the 31 points to be a positive. They scored those on 8 drives. Once it was 31-7, the final 2 drives were just garbage time. Four points a drive is really not something to be happy about. Even including the final drives it’s 3 points a drive, and that’s still nothing to be happy about. We need to find an answer. Hopefully with the remaining teams we’ll be more competitive.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Not a good game. D was ok, saw some improvement. But man the offense was not in the game at all. I know this was a top 5 team, but had we not hurt ourselves again we couldn't have been in it. Collins isn't building confidence with the fanbase or media that his coaches and coaching are helping improve things . What's his excuse this week

Everybody outside the fanbase understands it’s a rebuild yr except GT fans

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Everybody outside the fanbase understands it’s a rebuild yr except GT fans
I don't question the rebuild, but I question the methods. When mistakes happen I expect to see them cleaned up not repeated week after week. Rebuilds have expectations, I don't expect wins or expect them to be easy, I just want to see confidence that coaches know how to adjust and prep the team

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Beat in the trenches on both sides. Continue to get used to it because it will continue to happen a couple more years while CGC gets 4 years of Lewis Carella strength and conditioning for his starters and recruits.

Didn't think we looked too bad but we were pretty clearly overmatched by a much more talented team. Would have liked to see Patenaude let Sims throw the ball more in the first half.

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
2019 type game

Can’t scheme around bad OL play. Just outmanned yo front

Really tough to play defense when you have 9-10 players vs. 11.

Little league coaches teach LBs that once the QB scramble outside of the pocket to your side come out of your zone and rush him. Didn’t see that once
I’m glad I wasn’t the only one wondering why we would just stand at the line of scrimmage and let Book have extra time to find a receiver every time he rolled out.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I’m glad I wasn’t the only one wondering why we would just stand at the line of scrimmage and let Book have extra time to find a receiver every time he rolled out.
You pursue Book and he makes an easy move to get around you and scramble for a first down. Not hard to understand why you contain him rather than charge at him.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Not good
BC4FC6B3-66A3-4028-8851-1C2C7E5945C7.jpeg

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I felt worse today than the past two weeks. Hear me out as I’m a believer in the rebuild, but dog gone. The score was closer only because of ND’s style. They don’t hurry up and run traditional type plays. But they were just as efficient as Clemson and BC. We had a 14 point swing on the fumble which makes the scoreboard palatable.

Sims had his worse game in my opinion. No touch or accuracy on his passes other than a few. He missed wide open guys consistently. OLine has seemed to have gotten worse although ND has a top tier DLine. Gibbs is the definition of a 1 man team. If he played for Clemson or Bama he’d be a household name.

The coaches are definitely reacting to the fans. They called that game not to win but to not to get blown out. I’d rather lose by 70 and run our stuff to get reps but today they called plays to run clock. What did we do to really get better? Obviously, Sims has been told to not take hits hence running out of bounds short of the marker multiple times. And the drive before halftime they just told the team to settle. The coaches played that game to avoid criticism.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I don’t really find the 31 points to be a positive. They scored those on 8 drives. Once it was 31-7, the final 2 drives were just garbage time. Four points a drive is really not something to be happy about. Even including the final drives it’s 3 points a drive, and that’s still nothing to be happy about. We need to find an answer. Hopefully with the remaining teams we’ll be more competitive.

The overall outcome wasn't great, but there were a lot more plays made by our defense this week than the past couple. The problem was we weren't consistent enough to turn those individual good plays into stops. Not every drive that ends in a TD sees the same level of defense. One of the reasons for the lower number of possessions this week was because our defense played better forcing ND to take longer drives because their plays weren't as effective on a per play basis. But they have a good OL, a senior QB, and a good RB. They are well built to do that against a team they clearly have a talent advantage against.

Not to be harsh but moving from a triple with not a lot of coaches that coach it , this was to be expected . It's easier to transition to the triple than to transition out . Tstan made the decision and let it be known that the triple was out and we had to start clean.
Have you ever run or coached an option based offense....trust me, it is as complex as any of them that are out there. I have played and coached in it. Our current offense is much less complex, thus easy to defend.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The team he took over won 7 games and went to a bowl.

Did you see that bowl btw? We were bent over and physically dominated by Minnesota. Let that sink in. Not Clemson. Not Uga. Not OSU. But a mid to low-tier Big Ten 10 team. Because, then, like now, we did not compete on the LOS. We were and remain in a hole.Remains to be seen how long we stay in it.

Did you see that bowl btw? We were bent over and physically dominated by Minnesota. Let that sink in. Not Clemson. Not Uga. Not OSU. But a mid to low-tier Big Ten 10 team. Because, then, like now, we did not compete on the LOS. We were and remain in a hole.Remains to be seen how long we stay in it.
You mean this mid to low tier B10 team

That then beat Auburn in their bowl.

Minnesota Golden Gophers Schedule 2019​

Regular Season
DATEOPPONENTRESULTW-L (CONF)HI PASSHI RUSHHI REC
Thu, Aug 29vs South Dakota State South Dakota StateW28-211-0 (0-0)Morgan 176Smith 92Bateman 132
Sat, Sep 7@ Fresno State Fresno StateW38-35 2OT2-0 (0-0)Morgan 234Ibrahim 88Bateman 105
Sat, Sep 14vs Georgia Southern Georgia SouthernW35-323-0 (0-0)Morgan 289Smith 57Johnson 140
Sat, Sep 28@ Purdue PurdueW38-314-0 (1-0)Morgan 396Smith 115Bateman 177
Sat, Oct 5vs Illinois IllinoisW40-175-0 (2-0)Morgan 155Smith 211Bateman 71
Sat, Oct 12vs Nebraska NebraskaW34-76-0 (3-0)Morgan 128Smith 139Johnson 109
Sat, Oct 19@ Rutgers RutgersW42-77-0 (4-0)Morgan 245Smith 111Johnson 130
Sat, Oct 26vs Maryland MarylandW52-108-0 (5-0)Morgan 138Smith 103Autman-Bell 56
Sat, Nov 9vs Penn State 4 Penn StateW31-269-0 (6-0)Morgan 339Smith 51Bateman 203
Sat, Nov 16@ Iowa 20 IowaL23-199-1 (6-1)Morgan 368Smith 46Johnson 170
Sat, Nov 23@ Northwestern NorthwesternW38-2210-1 (7-1)Morgan 211Smith 77Johnson 125
Sat, Nov 30vs Wisconsin 12 WisconsinL38-1710-2 (7-2)Morgan 296Ib