GT Football

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I will admit I got a little complacent in the first half when we jumped out to the lead. My buddy said "we are going to need all of those points before the game is over" and I was snapped back to reality.

I admit it. I am an old school guy that believes in a strong defense. I love what Alabama is doing.

But we may not have, nor ever have, those kind of athletes. OK. So truly open up the offense. I enjoyed watching it when it worked.

Pass. Run. Score.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
JT probably saved CPJ job, lose 3 in a row to Duke is grounds for dismissal.

I don't think CPJ is going anywhere. Bud Petersen could care less about athletics. It's only 400 students out of 27,000. I bet he doesn't spend 15 minutes a month on GTAA.

CPJ needs a better AD and hopefully he has one. Let's see.

I don't think CPJ is going anywhere. Bud Petersen could care less about athletics. It's only 400 students out of 27,000. I bet he doesn't spend 15 minutes a month on GTAA.

One thing I can say about Peterson is that he goes to all the home games and many of the away games. He may not be willing to help out the football program much, but at least he's there and mingling with the fans. I assume that other college pres's do the same, but we can't knock him for visible "support". And his wife is always there with him decked out in gold.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Not sure I agree on time spent. they sure like glad handing at parties at 14 aac champion ship and orange bowl. His wife seems to enjoy gt football half times.
Over my career I found that lots of executives are paper/meeting warrior types who get little DONE. They are usually not big thinkers as they nibble around the edges. Not being in the loop I don't know what bud has """done "" to help gt football. I assume he approved the writing of a strategic plan for the gtaa -wow that makes you want to give unrestricted donations to the gtaa! !I mark mine football recruiting only.

One thing I would suggest that is well within his area of contol - setting in place plans for 100% grad rate for the big sports SA with 100%:transparency.
Let's be real the archery guys don't need same level of help. i am pretty sure ND does this Some of the better athletes don't even consider us out of fear of failure . I personally know of 2 who didn't - but would have if we included the 100% grad rate program.
One is at Texas tech and one plays for Titans.

We fought this problem in the safety arena of my company and until we put the issue of safety on top guys desk and held HIM accountable, we made little progress in getting to 0 accidents.

I sure would contribute to a 100% fund that massively increased support for SA in big sports.

We can just keep blaming the coaches and players and hope the new AD is a Do er and not a meeting /paper guy .

As Jerry says
Go Jackets.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I sure would contribute to a 100% fund that massively increased support for SA in big sports.

I think this makes a lot of sense. From a marketing point of view, this is differentiation.

Let's face it. If a recruit is considering Alabama, Clemson, Florida or Tech because he wants to play in the NFL .. the first three can make a great case why their program is the best fit.

But if our kids know that the primary goal is get a degree and Tech has a 100% graduation rate, that's a whole different message.

If you have a value proposition that doesn't resonate with customers, you need to change it.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The change the coach guys live in a world where GT is on an even playing ground as Alabama. That world is an illusion and a deception and a world of willing ignorance. The fact is GT has less money, less majors, and a more difficult college, fewer fans/alumni, so many FACTS. CPJ is doing good with the cards he is dealt.

Even by history of the school standards he is doing good, despite the changes in APR.

I also think the fan base is spoiled by how often GT scores. If the defense makes 4 stops then we should win? Every drive is suppose to be a TD? That is crazy talk given what happens in most football teams.

I get the I hate this defense and I think the D is on the head coach. I get it... I get it... I get it... So many fans wanting us to lose so they can be unhappy and right... Crazy FANaticS.

The way things are now... GT will not compete with Virgina if we do what everyone else does...

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think this makes a lot of sense. From a marketing point of view, this is differentiation.

Let's face it. If a recruit is considering Alabama, Clemson, Florida or Tech because he wants to play in the NFL .. the first three can make a great case why their program is the best fit.

But if our kids know that the primary goal is get a degree and Tech has a 100% graduation rate, that's a whole different message.

If you have a value proposition that doesn't resonate with customers, you need to change it.
Before all the nay sayers blah blah.
Yes it will not reach 100% but when it doesn't there will be an independent investigation and actions taken by Prez.

In 88 we started pipeline engr company with one promise to customers=" even though we are a little small for your project, we have always finished the projects we start and we now specifically promise to finish yours. Will youplease agree to be a future reference and please check ANY of our references. "

The most effective salesman is a satisfied customer which would be the parents for ga tech athlete. letting them sell gt is the key.

Hopefully they will say-" the Gt family- both the hill and the coaches - genuinely cared and through there efforts they changed my son's life. I am so proud to be a part of the Tech famly and I think you will be too .

From knowing coach Hurt, I feel we are close to being able claim 100%" as a realistic target while pursuing top talent.

Sitting around and saying we have no chance to be factory is not an option.
WE are closer to wake f than Ala.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
The change the coach guys live in a world where GT is on an even playing ground as Alabama. That world is an illusion and a deception and a world of willing ignorance. The fact is GT has less money, less majors, and a more difficult college, fewer fans/alumni, so many FACTS. CPJ is doing good with the cards he is dealt.

Even by history of the school standards he is doing good, despite the changes in APR.

I also think the fan base is spoiled by how often GT scores. If the defense makes 4 stops then we should win? Every drive is suppose to be a TD? That is crazy talk given what happens in most football teams.

I get the I hate this defense and I think the D is on the head coach. I get it... I get it... I get it... So many fans wanting us to lose so they can be unhappy and right... Crazy FANaticS.

The way things are now... GT will not compete with Virgina if we do what everyone else does...

I tend to agree. I simply do not see how or why changing coaches will improve anything at all. As frustrated as I am by the defensive performances, I want changes...but have no strong opinion on changing the coach (I am no where near close enough to have an intelligent opinion on that issue).

People here have forgotten how ludicrous our offenses were under Gailey. I remember thinking that Gailey played NFL football in college....play conservatively, play sound defense, and try to win games 17-14. That works when the talent levels are comparable, but when there is a mismatch in talent in the field you have to be innovative and do something different. Those who think our scheme makes it tougher for us to recruit 'Bama level talent seem to forget that we haven't recruited like that since, oh...1959? Switching back to pro style offense will get you Gailey's offense....put that together with *this* defense, and you're looking at 3-9 most years.

The offense we have is the one thing we have going for us and it is the ONLY reason we have had whatever success we have had in recent years. Changing coaches isn't going to improve that.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Changing coaches isn't going to improve that.

I don't think we should change coaches. Every coaching change brings with a change in philosophy and that can take 5, 6, or 7 years to fully implement. You can quickly find yourself in restructuring mode ALL THE TIME. Not good.

CPJ needs a complete system to implement his style of play. Does he have the best TO coaching team in the country? No. Is it documented? It kind of is, but it's in his head mostly. Does our recruiting and development fully reflect it? No.

I think we should just refine what we have. It works well for us ... but needs to be more systematic.

JStewart2227

Jolly Good Fellow
I just don't want to be content with 7 maybe 8 win seasons every year and that's what we're going to always have with CPJ, maybe we have another 2014 season but maybe we have another season like last year here and there. But it really doesn't matter. I believe I've come to realize CPJ will more thank likely be at GT until he is ready to leave or retire

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Actually, eight wins would pretty much vindicate CPJ this season. That's assuming he needs vindication in the first place. To win eight games we have to 2-1 against three teams with better athletes. That's asking a lot.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Consistent 8 win seasons would be amazing. I was just looking at the special admits by school ... it is amazing that Tech remains competitive and still graduates kids.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Who are the big five, and do we get extra credit for beating them?

To me, they are the teams that traditionally are significant on our schedule. Teams that have been to major bowls, care about football at least as much( if not more) than BB, are usually ranked, have football tradition, do not sit at games sipping whine.

We do not get extra credit for beating them. Well, wait. Yeah I think we do as witnessed by FSU 2015, the JN takeaway game in Tally, the fumble in the end zone vs FSU, ugag 2008 & 2014, um game on national tv, CU on national TV several times, VT in 2009 on tv. The W was the same as any other W, but I bet people that watch football (potential customers) are impressed.

A W is indeed a W. But some think beating the, usually, best teams on our schedule is not a barometer. That beating wake, puke, Elon, uva shows a program as strong as one beating ugag or vt. I happen to disagree.

To me the big 5 (teams we play almost every year) are ugag, um, cu, vt and often fsu. I think our record vs them is significant. If we are more than competitive with them (meaning winning vs them) then the n.c. schools, cuse, BC, UVA, etc are usually not going to be a problem.

Hopefully we can start to turn it this year, but as of today we are 0-2 with 2 to go.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
To me, they are the teams that traditionally are significant on our schedule.

Times are changing. It used to be the big games on our schedule were Alabama, Auburn, and Tennessee. Those were great games and admittedly, tough. But they were our regional rivals and truly big time college ball.

Today, I still look forward to Notre Dame. And of course Clemson. But our rivalries are changing. I hear a lot more about wanting to beat Duke than I used to.

If you look back at Tech's schedules over time, we played plenty of nobodies.

I would love to drop Mercer or its equivalent and play an SEC school. Regional rivals matter. I'm delighted we played Vandy. Auburn would be fun.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Times are changing. It used to be the big games on our schedule were Alabama, Auburn, and Tennessee. Those were great games and admittedly, tough. But they were our regional rivals and truly big time college ball.

Today, I still look forward to Notre Dame. And of course Clemson. But our rivalries are changing. I hear a lot more about wanting to beat Duke than I used to.

If you look back at Tech's schedules over time, we played plenty of nobodies.

I would love to drop Mercer or its equivalent and play an SEC school. Regional rivals matter. I'm delighted we played Vandy. Auburn would be fun.
When Carson went 4-6 twice he was headed out the door. the so called nobodies were duke, Texas am , clemson. etc and not COACH JOB SAVERS like elon, alcorn, etc. 4-6 plus 2 CJS and you get to a record that is not a true measure for a good football program.
We have discussed the dodd era verses the modern era and most on this board are 7-5 fans. 7-5 is doable w loses to the big 5 and wins over middle acc and bottom acc. some years w beat one of big 5 and lose a game to a middle road.

We have done better against power 5 because they imo have had inexperienced or stupid dc. Now that's changed and what has also changed is there is no defined bottom teams in acc.

Imo we have to aim at 8-4 to avoid 6-6 which is really a fake 4-6.
Don't accept the CJS games as anything more than excuse to come to campus and visit ATL

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
When Carson went 4-6 twice he was headed out the door. the so called nobodies were duke, Texas am , clemson. etc and not COACH JOB SAVERS like elon, alcorn, etc. 4-6 plus 2 CJS and you get to a record that is not a true measure for a good football program.

That's kind of my point. Even before Dodd, Tech played teams like Washington & Lee, Sewanee and of course, Mercer. Teams have always tried to included enough patsies to ensure a winning season.

Striving for an 8-3 season suggests you will vary from 6-5 to 10-1 .. so no need to stress out if we get the occasional 6-5.

I personally advocate striving to win the ACC title. Folks understand that. I'm not a fan of "let's go 8-3, but win against STEM schools with a SAT score above 1300 or a graduation rate within the 91st percentile of all public colleges with at least 6% or more minority participation in engineering." Just win.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
So I'm glad everyone is getting this: "We played a horrible game Rant out of their system." I wasn't pleased with the overall performance either, but was happy to see GT "Bring Their Own Guts" and get the much needed WIN!

A major factor in the second half turnaround were the special team decisions that just drove me batty!! Those decisions turned this into a game as opposed to the Rout it was quickly becoming.

For the rest of the season anyone catching a ball in the END ZONE needs to take a knee and give the offense a chance to start its possession on the 25. Taking a high kick off out of the end zone is just asking for trouble. From my vantage point THAT was the reason for letting Puke back into this game! Period!

That Coaching point better be made right now!!!
I agree, Cutty, but at least one of those returns was caught right on the goal line. If you have any part of your body in the field of play when you make the catch, you risk a safety if you down it in the endzone. Just ask Orwin Smith. :banghead: