GT Football

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Beating Duke in 2016 is not like beating Duke a few years back. This is a Duke program that is a lot more competitive than what it used to be. You have to credit David Cutcliffe for that change. It was just a couple of years ago that Duke was in the ACC championship game and playing in the Peach Bowl. They had some set backs this season losing their starting QB to an achilles heal injury. They are improving as the season goes along and will be a tough out for anyone left on their schedule.

I think some of our fan base thinks of Duke as some sort of weak sister basketball only school that we should just roll our helmets out on the field and beat automatically. That is not who Duke is any more. I predict they will shake up the outcome of the Coastal down the home stretch as they play, Va. Tech, Miami, Pitt and UNC all of which still have hope of winning the Division. I would not be suprised to see them win 3 out 4 of those games and giving GT a chance to pull this thing out if we can take care of busisness.

Go Jackets!

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
To me, they are the teams that traditionally are significant on our schedule. Teams that have been to major bowls, care about football at least as much( if not more) than BB, are usually ranked, have football tradition, do not sit at games sipping whine.

We do not get extra credit for beating them. Well, wait. Yeah I think we do as witnessed by FSU 2015, the JN takeaway game in Tally, the fumble in the end zone vs FSU, ugag 2008 & 2014, um game on national tv, CU on national TV several times, VT in 2009 on tv. The W was the same as any other W, but I bet people that watch football (potential customers) are impressed.

A W is indeed a W. But some think beating the, usually, best teams on our schedule is not a barometer. That beating wake, puke, Elon, uva shows a program as strong as one beating ugag or vt. I happen to disagree.

To me the big 5 (teams we play almost every year) are ugag, um, cu, vt and often fsu. I think our record vs them is significant. If we are more than competitive with them (meaning winning vs them) then the n.c. schools, cuse, BC, UVA, etc are usually not going to be a problem.

Hopefully we can start to turn it this year, but as of today we are 0-2 with 2 to go.
That Miami and Virginia Tech are on this list shows what a farce it is. Neither has accomplished anything the past five years, and, in fact, Georgia Tech has achieved more in the same timeframe. This list is merely a reflection of teams that we seem to struggle with. I understand including UGA on the list, since they're our rival. I even understand including Clemson, because they've been excellent for six years now, and that's a good measuring stick for us. But we play FSU once every six years (excluding championship games), so it's difficult to call that an important game.

For me, I prefer to look back at the season once it's over and consider what happened in its totality. In the absence of complete information, it begins to look like you're trying to find facts to build a narrative, which is pretty lame.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
For me, I prefer to look back at the season once it's over and consider what happened in its totality. In the absence of complete information, it begins to look like you're trying to find facts to build a narrative, which is pretty lame.

I like this. But I still prefer to ask "what is our goal" and then ask "how'd we do".

For example, Butch Jones is on the hot seat right now. Everyone, and I mean everyone, thought they were to win the SEC East. No matter how he describes it, he has to say "Our goal was to win the East. We did not." A very simple comparison.

Too often, we look back and say "not bad" because we had no expectations going in.

I'd read a quote from CPJ recently that he was not happy as a 7-win team. "That's not our goal", he said. Ok. What is it?

Can CPJ just say, "Our goal is to win the ACC title this year" or if we are rebuilding, "Our goal is to finish in the Top 3 of the Coastal this year".

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
When Carson went 4-6 twice he was headed out the door. the so called nobodies were duke, Texas am , clemson. etc and not COACH JOB SAVERS like elon, alcorn, etc. 4-6 plus 2 CJS and you get to a record that is not a true measure for a good football program.

Attack of the Member Berries. We have always played crappy schools. There was never a time when Texas A&M and Clemson were our "nobodies."

Carson went 4-6 from 1967-1969.

In 1967, we played Vandy (2-7-1; ranked 99th out of 118 programs), Tulane (3-7; ranked 93rd of 118).

In 1968, we played Navy (2-8; ranked T-102 out of 119 programs), Tulane (2-8; ranked T-102nd of 119), and TCU (3-7; ranked 87th of 119).

In 1969, we played Baylor (0-10, ranked 119th out of 122 programs), Tulane (3-7; ranked 88 of 122), and SMU (3-7; ranked T-88th of 122).

I am not sure there is a ton of difference between any of those schools and Georgia Southern today (currently 4-4 and ranked 67th of 128 programs in 2016).

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
I like this. But I still prefer to ask "what is our goal" and then ask "how'd we do".

For example, Butch Jones is on the hot seat right now. Everyone, and I mean everyone, thought they were to win the SEC East. No matter how he describes it, he has to say "Our goal was to win the East. We did not." A very simple comparison.

Too often, we look back and say "not bad" because we had no expectations going in.

I'd read a quote from CPJ recently that he was not happy as a 7-win team. "That's not our goal", he said. Ok. What is it?

Can CPJ just say, "Our goal is to win the ACC title this year" or if we are rebuilding, "Our goal is to finish in the Top 3 of the Coastal this year".
So, I think I get what you're saying, and I agree with it. Saying he's displeased with seven win seasons is not the same as a failure to understand that they won't happen. I assume he goes into every game wanting to win, but I also think it's a relevant question to ask whether it's reasonable to win. The goals are always the same: Win every game. But setting unrealistic goals doesn't, for me, change my obligation to provide a reasonable analysis.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I also think it's a relevant question to ask whether it's reasonable to win.

I like the Butch Jones example, because it's relevant. His last 3 years record at UT is 5-7, 7-6, 9-4. Now, he took over a program in absolutely terrible shape (4 HC's in 5 years?), and managed expectations well. "We're not going to win 10 games this year. Maybe we'll win 6, 7 ... but we're building something we can sustain."

Now you can ask yourself if Butch is a good example or not, but it's all part of goal setting.

If CPJ said, "We have a very tough schedule this year. We hope to win 7 games this year and while we are at it, we're really going to focus on improving recruiting (or whatever)." It's all about what are we doing to maintain progress. I think our issue is we lack a sense of direction.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
So I'm glad everyone is getting this: "We played a horrible game Rant out of their system." I wasn't pleased with the overall performance either, but was happy to see GT "Bring Their Own Guts" and get the much needed WIN!

A major factor in the second half turnaround were the special team decisions that just drove me batty!! Those decisions turned this into a game as opposed to the Rout it was quickly becoming.

For the rest of the season anyone catching a ball in the END ZONE needs to take a knee and give the offense a chance to start its possession on the 25. Taking a high kick off out of the end zone is just asking for trouble. From my vantage point THAT was the reason for letting Puke back into this game! Period!

That Coaching point better be made right now!!!

JJ Green fielded the kickoff that he was injured on and fumbled at the 3 yard line. He had no choice but to make a return attempt.

The following kickoff was fielded by Austin at the 5.

The following kickoff was fielded by Austin 1 yard into the end zone. Probably should have taken a knee here.

The final kickoff was taken with one foot just out of the endzone. Can't really blame him for returning that one.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If CPJ said, "We have a very tough schedule this year. We hope to win 7 games this year and while we are at it, we're really going to focus on improving recruiting (or whatever)." It's all about what are we doing to maintain progress. I think our issue is we lack a sense of direction.

I really think you are spot on. I believe our coaches and the GTAA would help themselves tremendously just by the simple act of communication. "Here's where we are, here's what we are doing to improve and here is our goal". I know that lack of this type of communication within any organization is disastrous and rumours/innuendo will fill the void.

without any sense of communication, human nature IS to assume the worst - either "they" don't know or "they" don't care. It's amazing how poor we have been at this simple thing (I assume that it comes from lack of experience in the private sector) and it's amazing that our people (it certainly predates CPJ) are unaware of how much good will can be generated by something that requires little or no capital. Let the fans know what is going on GTAA!!! You will be amazed at the results.

Fans (if you want them) need to be treated as part of the process. Sure, you may not like that part of the job, but it is ultimately in your best interest to treat (or manage) them properly.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Attack of the Member Berries. We have always played crappy schools. There was never a time when Texas A&M and Clemson were our "nobodies."

Carson went 4-6 from 1967-1969.

In 1967, we played Vandy (2-7-1; ranked 99th out of 118 programs), Tulane (3-7; ranked 93rd of 118).

In 1968, we played Navy (2-8; ranked T-102 out of 119 programs), Tulane (2-8; ranked T-102nd of 119), and TCU (3-7; ranked 87th of 119).

In 1969, we played Baylor (0-10, ranked 119th out of 122 programs), Tulane (3-7; ranked 88 of 122), and SMU (3-7; ranked T-88th of 122).

I am not sure there is a ton of difference between any of those schools and Georgia Southern today (currently 4-4 and ranked 67th of 128 programs in 2016).
Thanks for the review.
Elon, alcorn mercer have no chance of being a mediocre.
If you would remind me in 68 , what are the 4 victories? I think u listed them. My point is still beating 2 more crappy teams a year is notHong to be happy about.

Let's negotiate a deal.
I will give you my 2 mercer, elon, or etc tickets for next 4 years for 2 years of your Clemson, Miami vt unc .

Did you look at the teams we beat.
S

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for the review.
Elon, alcorn mercer have no chance of being a mediocre.
If you would remind me in 68 , what are the 4 victories? I think u listed them. My point is still beating 2 more crappy teams a year is notHong to be happy about.

Let's negotiate a deal.
I will give you my 2 mercer, elon, or etc tickets for next 4 years for 2 years of your Clemson, Miami vt unc .

Did you look at the teams we beat.
S

Except we don't play 2 of Mercer, Elon, etc in any single year, so your premise is automatically flawed. I will agree that, when an extra game was added a decade or so ago to college football schedules, virtually all FBS teams added a patsy, as did we. But we otherwise play as good or a better schedule than we did back then. So, yes, I will give you my UNC and Duke tickets in exchange for your FSU, ND, and UL tickets.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Sz zsxzdzxx9 fa
Except we don't play 2 of Mercer, Elon, etc in any single year, so your premise is automatically flawed. I will agree that, when an extra game was added a decade or so ago to college football schedules, virtually all FBS teams added a patsy, as did we. But we otherwise play as good or a better schedule than we did back then. So, yes, I will give you my UNC and Duke tickets in exchange for your FSU, ND, and UL tickets.

Lets Stick to the deal offered and adjust.
I am trying to establish how you value watching us play the crappy team.

For the 4 years of one crappy I want 2 years of unc or miami or 1 year of clemson. how bout that?