GT - Duke Post game thread

GT_Inta-neer

Georgia Tech Fan
Nealy said it best in his post game interview, "Duke just wanted it more than us." Really felt that all game. Duke just wanted this game more than Tech did. Except for maybe Golden. Those were some great, tough kick returns.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Nealy said it best in his post game interview, "Duke just wanted it more than us." Really felt that all game. Duke just wanted this game more than Tech did. Except for maybe Golden. Those were some great, tough kick returns.
Our special teams REALLY played well today. Other than the missed FG we were productive. Man this L is eating at me. So many gimmes by the refs that REALLY REALLY hurt our flow. Who calls offsides on a punt? What a joke. I wouldnt be surprised to find out down the road that these refs had a vested interest in Duke winning that game. If you take away a few egregious calls... its a much more interesting game.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Just sayin

Edit: photo taken from the swarm twitter feed

image.jpg

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I think Smelter, while successfully cushioning his hitting the wall, spun to his right and slammed his elbow into the gate.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
We can buckle up all we want. If the O doesn't win the game, the D is just not talented enough to win the game. For those of you that think our D coaches can do some type of miracle with what they have, well, they already are. The O cannot have a day off. Also, without Smelt, we are going to be in BIG trouble. Hope his injury is nothing serious.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
We gave this game to Puke - the offsides call; the int on the goal line where Zenon was open and all JeT had to do was float the ball into the endzone; the Reggie Ball type of int deep in our territory (what was JeT thinking? - first time this year he looked like a first year starter); Laskey fumble (after all the media hype about how he doesn't fumble - Puke did cause this TO). The SI jinx was on big time. we got gashed up the middle (not surprising sense everyone said that if Miami had just done that they would have beaten us). Just a couple of these TO's not happening (and the first three were all on us, not them making a play) and we win this game. I don't think their D shut us down and we did not get beat as bad as people are saying. We just shot ourselves time and again.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
After two red zone trips and 6 points and the targeting call I told my wife we might as well leave. We're just not good enough for a bad day from our young QB, crappy refs, injuries, and MOST IMPORTANTLY turnovers.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I blame @GTNavyNuke ...started the prediction thread too early!

Worked great when I did it for Miami :p

Haven't read all, but if we had to lose to one of VT, Miami or Duke; Duke was the best one. They played a conservative error free game and we had four turnovers (the unforced penalty on the punt was a turnover to me). We have a solid team that is ok at 5-1. But the D was exposed too long, the O was inconsistent and the ST stunk (more on that tomorrow).

Just gotta beat UNC next week; and root for UVa to take out Fluke. Problem is that UNC is looking really good against ND. And UNC came on real strong the second half last year.

The Clemson QB had a cast on his hand and Clemson had a lot of trouble with Louisville. I guess we have a lot of parity.

Beevis

Georgia Tech Fan
Mmmm, you guys still play uva. We don't cram it down anybody's throat.

Not so far... you still get to play GT.

Any offensive coordinator would be crazy not to try and power run against us. I think there are few that we could stop.

I think we got lucky that Miami didn't commit to doing so.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Im definitely of the belief that we cant afford the O to have an off day. Our D this year... well... just bless their hearts. They give a ton of effort... Were just too young, inexperienced, void of playmakers at this point. I do believe they will be MUCH better next season... But this year will be full of WTF's

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
read this on another site:

Duke had 2 weeks to prepare, but look at the ACTUAL game drives to see how that gave them such a "fast start" (NOT):
Duke possession 1: 5 plays 14 yds and a punt
GT possession 1: 14 plays 70 yds (with a offensive holding call against us) and a FG
Duke possession 2: 4 plays 6 yrds and a punt - EXCEPT we are offsides and then they drive the field for a TD
GT possession 2: 68 yd kickoff return (where was their 2 week prep on the special teams) and we quickly get to the 12 yd line and then DELAY of game and we eventually settle for a FG
Duke possession 3: 4 plays 8 yds and a punt
GT possession 3: We get a 51 yd kickoff return (again, guess they didn't practice special teams for 2 weeks)

Bottom line is that Duke's 2 week preparation did not cause us to lose - our BAD play caused us to lose. Period.

I really believe if we did not kill ourselves we easily beat Puke today. they ran on us up the middle, that was their strength. we did not lose because of that.