GT - Duke Post game thread

Animal02

Banned
We all knew that our O-line was thin, but the Chamberlin haters need to think about how poorly the line played without him. We also knew the D-line was never going to overwhelm anyone. Duke has an experienced offensive line with a lot of ability and size. We are going to give up yards, but they played no worse yesterday than they have in other games. Three turnovers and two early red zone trips that yielded only six points were the critical plays. The two picks were especially bad and very avoidable. I bet CPJ had a private meeting with JT that was not a pleasant one.

As others have said....the offsides on the punt is essentially a turnover...and that led to 7 points. Throw in a 3rd and 1 that was stopped, but the refs let the play continue until the 1st down was made and no replay/review....and there is the difference in the game. Everything went our way in previous games......this time they didn't.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Several thoughts:
1) One of the great things about this board for the longest time was the ability for people to post their thoughts, both positive and negative, without other people posting personal attacks like happens on the other boards. That appears to have gone by the wayside. John has valiantly jumped in and stopped negative posts about players (which I wholeheartedly agree with), but it might be time for some other posters to get a few "timeouts" as well to stop the personal attacks. If someone posts a negative opinion about the loss or about the program in general, that's their opinion. If you don't agree with and think they're trolling, that still doesn't give you a right to go negative on them. And FWIW, if this board is going to become the thought police where the only thing that can be posted is all rosy, shiny and seen through gold-colored glasses, then I, for one, am not interested. I'd prefer to hear when someone has something to say either positive or negative as long as they're not being disrespectful. I can always choose to permanently ignore that person, skip over their post, or just flat out not open the thread if it bothers me that much. *off soapbox*
On to the game:
2) I hate to say it but Duke has acquired some pretty good athletes. Boone is a talented QB and those 2 RB's are pretty solid. On defense, they have some pretty good players as well. They're not the Duke of old. I was worried even in preseason that we would struggle with them but I really wanted to be wrong.
3) Turnovers hurt bad today but I'm not sure we win that game even if we don't commit the turnovers. Duke was simply able to control us on the LOS when our defense was on the field. Our D line is so thin from attrition that we struggle to stop good running teams and we have almost no pass rush unless we commit at least 2 additional rushers on a blitz. I'm afraid we will struggle mightily with Clemson, UGA, and possibly Pitt. UVA has a huge line and, if they decide to just pound the run up the middle, we may struggle to stop them as well.
4) The offense has been able to hide the deficiencies of the defense in the first 5 games, but several people (like 33jacket and others) have been warning that we can't continue to give up the yards-per-play that we were doing and win every game. Today, they were proven correct.
5) We did have a few bright spots today:
- Waller looked good when Byerly was in
- Byerly proved that we have a capable QB if something happens to Justin
- I continue to be more & more impressed with Keshun Freeman. That kid is a baller.

The best news is that the team continues to fight. We are suffering from a lack of talent and depth in some positions on both sides of the ball and that will almost invariably cause us issues in at least 1 more game and probably many more. But the young men keep working and I'm sure they'll learn from this and move forward.
Well said. The only thing I disagree with is that I do feel we win without the turnovers. From my seat, it looked like we were the better team, not by a lot mind you, but better. I didn't feel the same way against UM. You don't have to be the better team to win, just better on the given day.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I guess the guys in the booth have more shots to look at than fans do on the Jumbotron. The only call that I thought they may have gotten right was the fumble that went back to Duke. I am surprised that the targeting stood, utterly surprised. I understand they are going to throw the flag, erring on the side of safety, but that replay showed the center of the blow being shoulder to chest. The only reason helmets even touched was because of the WR's recoil from the blow.

The part that was most disappointing to me, was not the refs, however. Our defense has a real hard time getting stops, against everybody. We got a ton of stops today, only to pee them away with break downs. That was the difference in the game. I believe, the entire game looks different if we line up on sides for their second punt. We probably take charge on offense and gain control of the game. Even after that, the 3rd and long interference call on a ball that wasn't going to be caught, was a stop wasted. Those were killers.

In terms of YPP given up, this was one of our best games, and it just so happens it was a game we lose. Go figure. Mistakes will kill you.

If we are all honest with ourselves, we have strongly suspected a game like this would come. The streak was fun while it lasted and I am glad we rode it for as long as we did. It is hard to have to win every game with offense all year long, that is pretty much a historical fact with the game of football. The important thing is that we easily COULD have won this game and will, most likely, go on to win some similar type games this season. We are who we are. We are an exciting team to watch, but we are not good enough to be a substantial or prohibitive favorite against any team we play. We CANNOT just impose our will on any opponent. We HAVE to play clean, avoiding needless penalties, with good execution, for the most part, to win. Duke won because they played better, not because they ARE better. We learned yesterday that our D game doesn't beat their B game. That is all. Unfortunately football isn't like baseball, this isn't a 3 game weekend series.

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
Coach summed it up pretty well in the post-game news conference: turnovers and stupid (and ill-timed) penalties... It's pretty much that simple... We got our yards, and we gave up what we've been giving up... It's a simple matter of making too many mistakes at just the wrong times... Credit to Puke - they we able to capitalize on our mistakes - they are talented enough now to be able to do that, and we're not talented enough to make it so that a team like that can't...

The refs completely sucked, but that's like the weather - nothing you can do about it, and it should affect both teams equally (though it didn't seem to in this game)...

Agree with Boomer's comments - we knew this was coming... Hoping we learn from it and fight hard enough next week to take out UNC, then wash, rinse, repeat...

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I guess the guys in the booth have more shots to look at than fans do on the Jumbotron. The only call that I thought they may have gotten right was the fumble that went back to Duke. I am surprised that the targeting stood, utterly surprised. I understand they are going to throw the flag, erring on the side of safety, but that replay showed the center of the blow being shoulder to chest. The only reason helmets even touched was because of the WR's recoil from the blow.

The part that was most disappointing to me, was not the refs, however. Our defense has a real hard time getting stops, against everybody. We got a ton of stops today, only to pee them away with break downs. That was the difference in the game. I believe, the entire game looks different if we line up on sides for their second punt. We probably take charge on offense and gain control of the game. Even after that, the 3rd and long interference call on a ball that wasn't going to be caught, was a stop wasted. Those were killers.

In terms of YPP given up, this was one of our best games, and it just so happens it was a game we lose. Go figure. Mistakes will kill you.

If we are all honest with ourselves, we have strongly suspected a game like this would come. The streak was fun while it lasted and I am glad we rode it for as long as we did. It is hard to have to win every game with offense all year long, that is pretty much a historical fact with the game of football. The important thing is that we easily COULD have won this game and will, most likely, go on to win some similar type games this season. We are who we are. We are an exciting team to watch, but we are not good enough to be a substantial or prohibitive favorite against any team we play. We CANNOT just impose our will on any opponent. We HAVE to play clean, avoiding needless penalties, with good execution, for the most part, to win. Duke won because they played better, not because they ARE better. We learned yesterday that our D game doesn't beat their B game. That is all. Unfortunately football isn't like baseball, this isn't a 3 game weekend series.

Great post

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I don't see how anyone can say our defense was the problem this game. For over our defense played well enough to win they just weren't getting the turnovers we've been getting but Duke was playing a clean game. Our defense is what it is but they really only gave up 7 points the first half. The special teams gave up the other 7 with the dumb offsides.

Still the game should've been 21-14 at half. We played great until we got the ball in the redone and then we just couldn't execute. The delay of game killed us and we probably should've gone for the 4th on the next possession down there but I understand where Paul was coming from. Our defense was actually playing well so just take the points. Everything that could've gone wrong in the 2nd half went wrong. That Laskey fumble set the tone. Can't give Duke a short field like that to go up 2 scores. As bad as we played we would've won if we didn't have the turnovers. That's the only reason Duke won. They just played safe and didn't turn the ball over.

We need to be able to make teams pay for loading the box on defense though. Duke sold out and the run and wanted us to beat them with the pass. I think that's where it hurts with JT trying to protect the football so much. There wasn't a guy out there who could play Darren Waller 1 on 1. He's just too big and we need to just let him make a play. JT needs to learn to trust his receivers in one on one situations. Byerly came in and was fearless throwing the football. He knew if he put the ball in a spot where his receiver could make a play, then he had a chance. Just ten yard throws is all it took and keep in mind that this was happening when Duke knew we were gonna pass.

On my final note (for now), when Jamal Golden is giving you the field position he was giving you and you still can't put up points, you need to seriously think about why you are even on the field. Jamal was a warrior returning kicks and you couldn't take advantage of that gift. The only reason Jamal got hurt was because of how hard he was running and we let it happen for nothing.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't see how anyone can say our defense was the problem this game. For over our defense played well enough to win they just weren't getting the turnovers we've been getting but Duke was playing a clean game. Our defense is what it is but they really only gave up 7 points the first half. The special teams gave up the other 7 with the dumb offsides.

Still the game should've been 21-14 at half. We played great until we got the ball in the redone and then we just couldn't execute. The delay of game killed us and we probably should've gone for the 4th on the next possession down there but I understand where Paul was coming from. Our defense was actually playing well so just take the points. Everything that could've gone wrong in the 2nd half went wrong. That Laskey fumble set the tone. Can't give Duke a short field like that to go up 2 scores. As bad as we played we would've won if we didn't have the turnovers. That's the only reason Duke won. They just played safe and didn't turn the ball over.

We need to be able to make teams pay for loading the box on defense though. Duke sold out and the run and wanted us to beat them with the pass. I think that's where it hurts with JT trying to protect the football so much. There wasn't a guy out there who could play Darren Waller 1 on 1. He's just too big and we need to just let him make a play. JT needs to learn to trust his receivers in one on one situations. Byerly came in and was fearless throwing the football. He knew if he put the ball in a spot where his receiver could make a play, then he had a chance. Just ten yard throws is all it took and keep in mind that this was happening when Duke knew we were gonna pass.

On my final note (for now), when Jamal Golden is giving you the field position he was giving you and you still can't put up points, you need to seriously think about why you are even on the field. Jamal was a warrior returning kicks and you couldn't take advantage of that gift. The only reason Jamal got hurt was because of how hard he was running and we let it happen for nothing.

turnovers and penalties were the difference IMO. elimanate either one of these and we probably win the game. all 3 areas of the game we didn't win the battles. offense, defense and special teams. can't overlook the offsides that gave them a first down and eventual TD. they played like the stadium atmosphere felt...empty. the great thing is we still control our own destiny.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
We are a young team. We don't have the talent to overcome unforced errors like 3 turnovers, or WTF penalties. We will live and die by our QB play. I wanted Bylery in a series before he saw the field not because I thought he was necessarily better than JT, but it was obvious JT was not having a good day and needed a rest.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
We are a young team. We don't have the talent to overcome unforced errors like 3 turnovers, or WTF penalties. We will live and die by our QB play. I wanted Bylery in a series before he saw the field not because I thought he was necessarily better than JT, but it was obvious JT was not having a good day and needed a rest.

heat and humidity is a BUTT kicker. It seems like we played our better football when it was cooler. At times it kind of looked like several people need a break.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Miami has tiebreaker over Duke so the water is muddied as far as who controls their destiny. The hoos are 2-0 but wont win out in the division. Waters are muddied here people. We just need to win. Winning is a problem solver.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think JT's ankle was intentionally wrenched on a tackle that ended-up out of bounds near the end of the first half. I think he should have come clean with how much he was hobbled. From my eye, it seemed he was easily a couple steps slower than usual.

Animal02

Banned
Miami has tiebreaker over Duke so the water is muddied as far as who controls their destiny. The hoos are 2-0 but wont win out in the division. Waters are muddied here people. We just need to win. Winning is a problem solver.

Miami already has 2 ACC losses, and still has FSU to play.... Really need the hoos to beat duke this week. The last 5 games for the hoos are brutal.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Miami already has 2 ACC losses though. And we still have to play Clemson as well.