GT Bowl Projections

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Jeez ... Forgot all about Iowa, I guess it's good to forget the loses.
Other than that all I could come up with was Penn State in the opening game of 1991 and Michigan State in the Bowl Game (forget which one, somewhere in the Midwest I think) when Rick Strom was our QB ... both long ago.

We played MSU in the All American bowl in Birmingham in 1985 (I believe that was the year)

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Honestly I think out of all the possible matchups only Utah and Stanford will give us a "win" situation if we beat them.

Minnesota has 8 wins but hasn't really beaten anyone good.
Northwestern and Maryland are 6-6. bleh.
Kentucky will be written off because "They're kentucky"
Houston won't have Herman and are also G5

While Navy has the same offense the two teams this year are VERY different in their calling cards but unless you watch enough of them you wouldn't know that and the TV announcers will all be about student vs master.

While I'm very glad for a bowl we don't have amazing prospects just due to the way the season unfolded for all the other teams.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Looks like the BELK Bowl wants a NC School to REP the ACC...
There were only two bowl representatives in attendance for yesterday’s game between Wake and BC, Pesky Hill from the Camping World Independence Bowl and Will Webb from the Belk Bowl, which will be played on Dec. 28 in Charlotte, N.C. The Belk Bowl needs an instate ACC representative and Wake Forest, North Carolina State and North Carolina are all bowl eligible.

BC list of possibilities includes the Dec. 26 trio of the St. Petersburg (Fla.) Bowl, the Quick Lane Bowl in Detroit and the Camping World Independence Bowl in Shreveport, La., as well as the Military Bowl in Annapolis, Md., on Dec. 27.

LINK
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/..._notebook_now_eligible_for_bowl_consideration

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
Honestly I think out of all the possible matchups only Utah and Stanford will give us a "win" situation if we beat them.

While Navy has the same offense the two teams this year are VERY different in their calling cards but unless you watch enough of them you wouldn't know that and the TV announcers will all be about student vs master.

While I'm very glad for a bowl we don't have amazing prospects just due to the way the season unfolded for all the other teams.

I don't want Navy..they are really good lol.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.

Minnesota is actually a pretty good team. I think it would be the best matchup of all those listed. Really only Maryland would be the "doesn't count" win but regardless it's not a top tier bowl game so no one's gonna remember but us so even if it's Maryland and we win all people will look at at the end of the year is see us at 9-4 and realize we actually had a good year.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
We played MSU in the All American bowl in Birmingham in 1985 (I believe that was the year)
Yep, you're right and we won. Interesting sidebar, we we're getting on the bus to take Tech fans back downtown to the hotel, saw Bobby Cremins outside the bus walking alone, we all screamed for him to get on board and he did.Tech B.B fans might remember that a few months later Tech won their first ACC title by beating NC in the finals at the old Omni! I for one will never forget that sequence of events.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Minnesota is actually a pretty good team. I think it would be the best matchup of all those listed. Really only Maryland would be the "doesn't count" win but regardless it's not a top tier bowl game so no one's gonna remember but us so even if it's Maryland and we win all people will look at at the end of the year is see us at 9-4 and realize we actually had a good year.
I'm not saying they're a bad team. But what is their signature win this year? Oregon State? Illinois? Northwestern? Maryland?

They're 8-4 but those 4 loses were the only 4 "good" teams they played this year in Nebraska, Wisconsin, Penn State, and Iowa.

Turn that same gaze on our 8-4 record and our signature win would be VT with it falling down to a mediocre UGA being #2. Not amazing I admit but it's still at least 1 "signature" win.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I have been watching this thread and hoping for a matchup which would get us some notice at the end of the year. But here is the thing -- it doesn't matter all that much. The opener with Tennessee is going to give us a shot at instant recognition. We all know that SEC schools are likely to be ranked preseason no matter what they did the year before. Win that game and we are off to the races.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I have been watching this thread and hoping for a matchup which would get us some notice at the end of the year. But here is the thing -- it doesn't matter all that much. The opener with Tennessee is going to give us a shot at instant recognition. We all know that SEC schools are likely to be ranked preseason no matter what they did the year before. Win that game and we are off to the races.
I agree with this.

CFB is a lot like a Marathon. If you're not the leader or in the chase pack then its all just a big jumble that no outsider observer really cares about. Such is the case with us being a Mid level team going to a mid level bowl. I'm just glad we have a bowl game this year for the guys and no matter where or who we play I just want a W.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I'm not saying they're a bad team. But what is their signature win this year? Oregon State? Illinois? Northwestern? Maryland?

They're 8-4 but those 4 loses were the only 4 "good" teams they played this year in Nebraska, Wisconsin, Penn State, and Iowa.

Turn that same gaze on our 8-4 record and our signature win would be VT with it falling down to a mediocre UGA being #2. Not amazing I admit but it's still at least 1 "signature" win.
You could argue the same thing about us if we didn't beat VT. Like us, they won the games they should and played the tough teams close.

YJAlleyCat

Jolly Good Fellow

DuckGT

Ramblin' Wreck
Today's updated projections:

Fox Sports - vs. Kentucky in Tax Slayer
SI - vs. Stanford in Sun
Athlon - vs. Stanford in Sun

Is Fox Sports really serious??

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I was thinking that getting the 8th win would almost automatically get us a pretty good bowl. Doug Roberson in the AJC this morning lists the ACC Power Poll. Eight ACC teams have won 8 or more games this year. Wow!