GT Bowl Projections

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Over the past few days in this thread haven't we seen links showing EVERY bowl doesn't want us? I mean we've seen outsiders' projections, guesses, and wishes, but the actual Sun, Pinstripe. Russell, Belk, And TaxSlayer have ALL said Tech is NOT on their lists...Am I right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jay Alexander

Jolly Good Fellow
Over the past few days in this thread haven't we seen links showing EVERY bowl doesn't want us? I mean we've seen outsiders' projections, guesses, and wishes, but the actual Sun, Pinstripe. Russell, Belk, And TaxSlayer have ALL said Tech is NOT on their lists...Am I right?

Many of those articles were from last year.

Animal02

Banned

Tech is ranked 8th in the ACC. It will be likely that Tech will get selected within one position of eighth. If you look at the bowls at that point, we fall into the Pinstripe / Military bowl range. Nashville / Jacksonville and even the Sun bowl would be a stretch, IMO.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Tech is ranked 8th in the ACC. It will be likely that Tech will get selected within one position of eighth. If you look at the bowls at that point, we fall into the Pinstripe / Military bowl range. Nashville / Jacksonville and even the Sun bowl would be a stretch, IMO.

That's what I was thinking, but apparently there's a "decide amongst yourselves" policy for both tier 1 and tier 2 bowls. So, iiuc, the ACC doesn't say that this is our ranking but these are our top 4 or whatever, these are next 4. So, we'll see how things shake out after Saturday.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

It doesn't work that way any more. When things were renegotiated for the CFP, The ACC Bowl tie-ins were set up as: Orange Bowl first(highest remaming after CFP), Russell Athletic(and possibly Cirtrus) second, one tier of bowls then negotiates with the teams and the conference to get the "best" matchups, a second tier of bowls then conducts the same type of negotiations with the remaining teams. There are NO guarantees except that the conference championship loser will not fall below the Sun Bowl. GT could be selected for the Russell or Citrus(unlikely), or fall all the way to the bottom tier. It is all about ratings and money.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah AE87. So if none of the tier 1 bowl committees have mentioned Georgia Tech in their top 4, then it sounds like all this is just conjecture.
Picturing the bowl reps getting together and whoever draws the short straw takes Tech

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
That's what I was thinking, but apparently there's a "decide amongst yourselves" policy for both tier 1 and tier 2 bowls. So, iiuc, the ACC doesn't say that this is our ranking but these are our top 4 or whatever, these are next 4. So, we'll see how things shake out after Saturday.

It is even less than that. The tier 1 bowls pick from all of the remaining teams after CFP, Orange, Russell, and maybe Citrus. The ACC does not tell tier 1 who they have to select from. Tier 2 takes whoever is left.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Yeah AE87. So if none of the tier 1 bowl committees have mentioned Georgia Tech in their top 4, then it sounds like all this is just conjecture.
Picturing the bowl reps getting together and whoever draws the short straw takes Tech

It is ALL conjecture at this point. The prediction is FSU to the Orange. However, if VT beats Clemson, then: Clemson will not be in the CFP, VT will be in the Orange, and Clemson will upset the remaining "predicted"order. The same thing is true with other conferences. As such, if a "compelling" matchup would have been made between say Miami and another team, and the other team isn't available because of their conference bowl situation, that bowl might pass on Miami for another team with at better potential matchup. No matter who the bowls have looked at, and what prognosticators believe, we will not know anything with any degree of certainty until Sunday.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It is ALL conjecture at this point. The prediction is FSU to the Orange. However, if VT beats Clemson, then: Clemson will not be in the CFP, VT will be in the Orange, and Clemson will upset the remaining "predicted"order. The same thing is true with other conferences. As such, if a "compelling" matchup would have been made between say Miami and another team, and the other team isn't available because of their conference bowl situation, that bowl might pass on Miami for another team with at better potential matchup. No matter who the bowls have looked at, and what prognosticators believe, we will not know anything with any degree of certainty until Sunday.

What's kind of crazy is that if CU loses to vpi on Saturday, then the CFP committee might choose choose both tOSU and UMich, neither of whom even played in their conf championship game. Though, I would hope that either CU would still get it or the winner of OK/OK St.