GT Bowl Projections

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
We can use this thread to follow the trajectory of our possible bowl destinations. Up until this weekend, we've been slotted for the bottom tier of ACC bowl slots. I doubt that our game vs. UNC changes that.

Here is Ken's compiled list of projections from last Wednesday, 11/2... lot of Independence, Military, Quick Lane, Pinstripe, and St Petersburg predictions.

SBNation slotted us today as did College Football News into the Military Bowl.

Then there is the safety net... what if we finish 5-7 and there are not enough bowl eligible teams (6+ wins)? Casting aside the discussion on whether we'd accept or not, the selection process goes to APR. Per Syracuse.com who ranked potential year-end 5 win teams, we fare well right now. Currently #5 in the pecking order with several teams above who may not make it to 5 W's.

I personally think a 5 win season for GT is still unlikely, but there it is.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
How embarrassing ... yes, there's the GoDaddy Bowl, and the Pez Dispenser Bowl, or the the Pizza Hut Extra Cheese Bowl ... but this is all dribble for not being competitive where it counts.

Georgia Tech should be embarrassed to go to the Krispy Kreme of Greater Kansas City Bowl. Or any other feel good Bowl.

Just my opinion.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I still see us pulling out one more win but not against UVA their offense is to much for our defense to handle, but we can beat UGA this year as they have no offense whatsoever.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
How embarrassing ... yes, there's the GoDaddy Bowl, and the Pez Dispenser Bowl, or the the Pizza Hut Extra Cheese Bowl ... but this is all dribble for not being competitive where it counts.

Georgia Tech should be embarrassed to go to the Krispy Kreme of Greater Kansas City Bowl. Or any other feel good Bowl.

Just my opinion.
I would say the extra practice you get by being bowl eligible is worth a lot going into next season.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I would say the extra practice you get by being bowl eligible is worth a lot going into next season.

Fair call.

But ... aren't these crappy bowls consolation prizes for all the teams that won't make the playoffs? If you aim for second place, you usually find it.

I can't imagine Saban saying, "Our goal this year is to play in the GoDaddy Bowl and get some extra practice."

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Fair call.

But ... aren't these crappy bowls consolation prizes for all the teams that won't make the playoffs? If you aim for second place, you usually find it.

I can't imagine Saban saying, "Our goal this year is to play in the GoDaddy Bowl and get some extra practice."
I can't imagine him turning down one of those bowls either.

GTBandman

Jolly Good Fellow
There are 120 or so teams in bowl system. Our recruiting usually is somewhere between 40-70. Over time, that should be slightly better than .500 depending on who we play, injuries, ability to out think/execute competition, etc. Occasionally better, but that is out-punching our weight. Any bowl this year is a step back in the right direction. We are probably about 40-50 in rankings overall. Doesn't mean I like it or think it is what we should be, but it is what we are right now. Beat UVA and the Mutts, go to a low bowl, and this is a damn lot better than last year.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I don't deny the logic, but am always concerned about setting sights too low. Any bowl this year is an improvement. Even the Tater Tot Bowl.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

I happen to live in Tennessee and have access to a really good sports talk station on the Nashville radio. (if you live in the ATL you have to take it on faith that they do exist). There is a guy there who appears regularly and is a big UT guy.Has been for many, many years. Whenever the topic comes up about the extra practice, he maintains that there is almost no correlation between bowl appearances and the following year's W-L record. He has been consistent with this over the years that I have listened, claims that he has done the analysis and I do not have data to dispute him. He is not against teams going to bowls, just unconvinced that there is any real benefit (in terms of next year's result)to be gained by it. as always, take this and any post on the interwebs with a grain of salt.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
You people do know that there are college teams who haven't been to a bowl in decades or, in some cases, at all, don't you?

This is more of the feeling of entitlement some Tech fans have. We had such unrelieved success for so many years - not many teams go to a bowl for 18 straight years - that we got spoiled rotten. I, for one, will go to any bowl, provided we qualify. The coaches want to do it and so do the players. So let's get our chin straps on and play ball in the last three games.