GT (+9) @ Temple

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Back then nobody knew how bad our passing game was. In fact it looked pretty good in the spring game. Hitting backs left and right, wheel routes, slants, down the seam, tight ends over the middle, even deep balls. Coaches giving interviews telling us how great the quarterbacks are.

They said great in doing everything they asked them to do not necessarily in regards to on field performance

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree....the motivational factor will likely be a wash (at least at the start)
It will be
jimmies and joes, which I think we have an edge.
Coaching......probably an edge to temple.
Home field advantage is a wash.....but travel can be a bit disruptive....slight edge to Temple.

It comes down to will Tech's athletic edge overcome the other factor......... had to say with what we have seen so far.
If coaching is an edge to Temple, then that's sad indeed. How often do you as a coach, get to play against a team where you know every player's weaknesses. Temple's players are not Clemson's.

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
If coaching is an edge to Temple, then that's sad indeed. How often do you as a coach, get to play against a team where you know every player's weaknesses. Temple's players are not Clemson's.

It's a double edged sword. Temple's players have also been learning from/practicing against Coach Collins's style of D for 2 years, as well. They should know where we have tendencies to sell-out and their QB should be able to read our coverage better than most.

That beind said, I don't think the coaching edge goes to Temple at all. But they have stability on their side where we have a very jury rigged o-line as the backbone of our offense.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Look guys take in from a drunk ( no not my beer my advice )
There are two ways to win. First you outscore your opponent. Well with our offensive coordinator lets skip over number 1 that ain't going to happen.
Second you hold your opponent to less points then you have. Now here is our chance .
Bet the under. And buy me a 6 pack when you win.

LibertyTurns

Banned
That’s just @Animal02. If I’m mistaken and we’ve got a worse coaching staff, well we’re in for a long nasty spiral. I would not bet on it.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I still think we have one stud athlete at QB, though obviously not for a pass-heavy attack, but they won't leave him in the game.

I sill don't think everyone has thought that through. If you left TO in the whole game as QB, the D will pack the box and make him beat you as a passer. This is no longer the TO where CPJ could run the same play with different blocks by the OL and maximize the QB run game. There is a reason CGC is switching QBs.

What it comes down to is that we don't have a QB with experience standing in a pocket against college defenses able to read a defense fas enough to make his progressions and get the ball out to the receivers in time. We don't have an OL able to hold a legitimate pocket in pass pro long enough to make up for that deficiency.

We don't have WRs familiar with all "NFL" style route trees that are able to get seperation quickly enough to bail out a struggling QB.

These are all areas of concern that myself and others raised in the preseason, but were shouted down for being haters, etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm pulling for our team, and I think in a few years we will be ok, but it's not true that no one knew we would be this bad this early.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
It's a double edged sword. Temple's players have also been learning from/practicing against Coach Collins's style of D for 2 years, as well. They should know where we have tendencies to sell-out and their QB should be able to read our coverage better than most.

That beind said, I don't think the coaching edge goes to Temple at all. But they have stability on their side where we have a very jury rigged o-line as the backbone of our offense.

After watching the Temple and Buffalo game, it was like watching a "Tale of Two Teams" compared to the Temple team that played Maryland. They really looked bad. The offense came into the Buffalo game averaging more than 500 yards a game and I only watched into the third quarter and they had about 100 yards or less total offense and were 1 for 7 I think on third down conversions. Russo looked totally different from the Maryland game. He threw 2 really bad interceptions and he is painfully slow. He looked impressive against Maryland but Buffalo brought the heat and he could not adjust. The question is Temple as good a team as they looked against Maryland or as bad as they looked against Buffalo or something in between? If they play like they did against Buffalo we should be able to run them right out of their own stadium. They do have two impressive looking physical specimens at defensive tackle and some tall, fast receivers but they will have to play a whole lot better to beat us. One other thing is that their special teams are pretty bad.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
From a recruiting standpoint, GT has a decided advantage (according to 247):

View attachment 6769

That's a 4 tier recruiting advantage. In terms of recruiting, a 4 tier recruiting advantage should be HUGE. The reality is the classes of 2016-2018 probably will player a bigger role than guys in the 2015 (redshirt SRs) and 2019 (true freshmen). In 2016, Temple actually recruited as well (better by 1 spot) than GT did.

In a normal year, I would say GT should beat Temple, but this is not a normal year. I like our defense against a "conventional" offense...I actually think Temple will have a difficult time scoring against us. However, our offense is a V8 engine operating on 4 cylinders right now, and if we have a hill to climb we are in trouble. The key is to not create our own hill to climb.

I think we win this one. I think our guys just got a reality check with Citadel and they are furious (and humbled). I think the coaches know what they have (and don't have) and I think they will start playing guys who produce more regardless of the beauty factor.

I don't care what Vegas says, this is a very winnable game for us. Coaches and players need to get their sh!t together because they have the talent advantage against Temple, and the season can come off the tracks quick of they don't show up.

After watching their game with Buffalo they played about what you would expect from the recruiting rankings. TO will be the best athlete on the field and it won't even be close. Put James out there and it will be similar. The contrast between their quarterback and ours is stark.

The Rev.

Georgia Tech Fan

It would be interesting to see a study of coaches who have moved to a new team and soon thereafter had the opportunity to coach against his former team. From what little I've noticed over the last 10 years or so, it seems like the coach usually has more success against his former players than the other way around.

I sill don't think everyone has thought that through. If you left TO in the whole game as QB, the D will pack the box and make him beat you as a passer. This is no longer the TO where CPJ could run the same play with different blocks by the OL and maximize the QB run game. There is a reason CGC is switching QBs.

What it comes down to is that we don't have a QB with experience standing in a pocket against college defenses able to read a defense fas enough to make his progressions and get the ball out to the receivers in time. We don't have an OL able to hold a legitimate pocket in pass pro long enough to make up for that deficiency.

We don't have WRs familiar with all "NFL" style route trees that are able to get seperation quickly enough to bail out a struggling QB.

These are all areas of concern that myself and others raised in the preseason, but were shouted down for being haters, etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm pulling for our team, and I think in a few years we will be ok, but it's not true that no one knew we would be this bad this early.
Maybe if TO was left in long enough to develop a rhythm, he might surprise everybody. He's sure looked better than LJ so far. Graham really hasn't had much of a chance. As far as standing in a pocket, what pocket?

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
So whats your plan - if TO has a good few drives but falters, do ee yank him and put in Graham

3 qb guys starting at near equals will never or almost never happen again.

With ol issues, i am just hanging w cgc on qb issue.

I can see having 2 QB's designated to play in this game. If the starter, hopefully TO, is not moving the ball in the first quarter, give the backup a series or 2 to see what he can do. But to be rotating 3 QB's 4 games into the season doesn't make much sense to me if that happens.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk