GT (+9) @ Temple

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Did you watch the Maryland game? I did and Temple was very impressive turning Maryland away three times inside the Red Zone. They stopped the Terrapins twice on downs inside the 10 in the fourth quarter. They are big and physical on the defensive line and have a good quarterback. We are a 9 point underdog for a reason. There is this G5 poll, I must confess I had never seen the thing before, that had Temple in the top 10. I know, tallest midget in the room and all that but this will be a very challenging situation under the circumstances, even though I don't think the home field advantage means that much at Temple.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Buffalo thumped them, and it’s worse that the final score appears.

And, after that, we’re spotted 9. Not that we should need bulletin board material.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

True, Buffalo popped them for 24 points in the second quarter and that was the ball game. Depends upon which Temple we get: the one that upset Maryland or the one that looked awful against Buffalo. Not to mention which Tech do we get: the one that committed stupid penalties and could not stop a FCS triple option or the one that played credibly against Clemson in a hostile environment. Beats me which is why I never bet on what 18 to 22 year olds are going to do from one week to the next. Might as well put the money on the street and be done with it.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Did you watch the Maryland game? I did and Temple was very impressive turning Maryland away three times inside the Red Zone. They stopped the Terrapins twice on downs inside the 10 in the fourth quarter. They are big and physical on the defensive line and have a good quarterback. We are a 9 point underdog for a reason. There is this G5 poll, I must confess I had never seen the thing before, that had Temple in the top 10. I know, tallest midget in the room and all that but this will be a very challenging situation under the circumstances, even though I don't think the home field advantage means that much at Temple.

Temple did the exact same thing last yr. Beat Maryland and lost to Buffalo so this tells me they play down to their competition.

Yes i watched it. I’m not sure you can count getting multiple stops inside the 10 every game. We’ve seen the discipline Tech more often than the undisciplined so my expectations are set one that. Im sure CGC and crew are very familiar what makes Russo uncomfortable and i believe we have the personnel to get it done. I expect a 24-13 GT gm

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Nine point underdogs to Temple... really

Expectations have plummeted in one year....

This would typically be a warm up game for Florida State or Va. Tech...
There's a good chance we'd have been an underdog last year at Temple. In fact, I stated previously that I believe that would have been the case based on where each team ended in FEI rankings (Temple 45, Georgia Tech 63), even allowing for Temple's loss to FCS Villanova.

LibertyTurns

Banned
There's a good chance we'd have been an underdog last year at Temple. In fact, I stated previously that I believe that would have been the case based on where each team ended in FEI rankings (Temple 45, Georgia Tech 63), even allowing for Temple's loss to FCS Villanova.
FCS games are not included in FEI datasets.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
FCS games are not included in FEI datasets.
That's why I said "even allowing for Temple's loss to FCS Villanova". That was also first game of the year.

We'd have likely been dogs last year, and I expected the same going into this year, prior to the first 3 games. Temple's performance in 2018 after their first game put their FEI between Duke, Purdue and Pittsburgh. And this is an away game.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Temple did the exact same thing last yr. Beat Maryland and lost to Buffalo so this tells me they play down to their competition.

Yes i watched it. I’m not sure you can count getting multiple stops inside the 10 every game. We’ve seen the discipline Tech more often than the undisciplined so my expectations are set one that. Im sure CGC and crew are very familiar what makes Russo uncomfortable and i believe we have the personnel to get it done. I expect a 24-13 GT gm

I pray that your analysis proves correct. I don't know if Coach Collins could stand another drama fest like the last week. I know I could not. Making Russo uncomfortable will be a good start.

Tjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Let's mix up the snap. Count. We don't need to give there defense and advantage. Quick snap counts keeps every D on there hills. Let's not withwait 20- 25 seconds b fore we snap the ball. Lineman are in there stances too long D line getting off the ball because they know the snap count.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I am all for giving him a chance. But I DO think TO has earned the starting job and should get it and be left in till he falls flat on his face.
So whats your plan - if TO has a good few drives but falters, do ee yank him and put in Graham

3 qb guys starting at near equals will never or almost never happen again.

With ol issues, i am just hanging w cgc on qb issue.

Tjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
2 - 3 step quick passes. Behind or in front of the line backers, screen plays if they stack the box. Trip receivers throw the ball behind 2 let them block for ,the pass catcher . Especially short yardage.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
lol most have amnesia. This was the case vs. Clemson but everyone wanted us to pass
Yup. I was one of those folks.

I have since shut up, now that I have seen our passing in more live action.

I’d still be curious to see what a healthy Graham could do at QB.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Against Buffalo, Temple had 31 yards rushing and 258 yards passing with 3 Int's, our secondary is the strength of our defense ... this may play out well for us.
I think the motivation factors balance and hope GT gets their mind right discipline-wise.
I'm looking for a low-scoring GT win ... take the under !

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Against Buffalo, Temple had 31 yards rushing and 258 yards passing with 3 Int's, our secondary is the strength of our defense ... this may play out well for us.
I think the motivation factors balance and hope GT gets their mind right discipline-wise.
I am jaundiced by the previous bend and break safeties that in crunch time (unc,nd, miami) could not stop athletic receivers and a good qb.

This qb seems to be a passer .

If iur defense can shut down their passing i will have hope we can be better. If he burns us, well....

slugboy

Staff member
I am jaundiced by the previous bend and break safeties that in crunch time (unc,nd, miami) could not stop athletic receivers and a good qb.

This qb seems to be a passer .

If iur defense can shut down their passing i will have hope we can be better. If he burns us, well....
Russo's QBR was 39 against Maryland and 12 against Buffalo and 37 on the season (https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4044122/anthony-russo , stats are hard to read there). He slings it, but I like our DBs on this if we can get any sort of pass rush.

ETA: Not that we haven't made total stiffs look like Heisman winners in the past.

Last edited:

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
So whats your plan - if TO has a good few drives but falters, do ee yank him and put in Graham

3 qb guys starting at near equals will never or almost never happen again.

With ol issues, i am just hanging w cgc on qb issue.
I say give him the entire game even if he falters. You have to commit to a QB if you want to develop a leader.

Animal02

Banned
You don't think that Temple will be motivated to beat their old coach?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
He would have to have 3 or 4 bad drives before I would yank him.
I can live w that if we did it more on a next game basis.

Imo, he looked pretty good against best team in nation and has not had a real second shot. Would not be suprised to see him given some reps when his foot is well. ( i dont know if he has heard the coaches better than lj or if he is just throwing it. Graham us decisive. )