GT (+9) @ Temple

Animal02

Banned
Yes, I think they will ... but I think we will come out equally motivated after our showing vs. The Citadel.
I agree....the motivational factor will likely be a wash (at least at the start)
It will be
jimmies and joes, which I think we have an edge.
Coaching......probably an edge to temple.
Home field advantage is a wash.....but travel can be a bit disruptive....slight edge to Temple.

It comes down to will Tech's athletic edge overcome the other factor......... had to say with what we have seen so far.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I agree....the motivational factor will likely be a wash (at least at the start)
It will be
jimmies and joes, which I think we have an edge.
Coaching......probably an edge to temple.
Home field advantage is a wash.....but travel can be a bit disruptive....slight edge to Temple.

It comes down to will Tech's athletic edge overcome the other factor......... had to say with what we have seen so far.

I also think this game is a big point in our season ... does The Citadel game become a hiccup and lesson learned or does the snowball start running downhill fast.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I can live w that if we did it more on a next game basis.

Imo, he looked pretty good against best team in nation and has not had a real second shot. Would not be suprised to see him given some reps when his foot is well. ( i dont know if he has heard the coaches better than lj or if he is just throwing it. Graham us decisive. )

I am fine with playing TO but pulling him for Graham if he falters. As long as it isn't pulling TO and putting a cold QB in on every third down.

I'm not sure if Graham is decisive, or if he always looks for the long route. I have heard that in practice he is very good at the long passes, but struggles with the short and medium ones. In games he has made very big plays, and taken very big losses. With his passing and running skills, if he can slow the game down, check through all of the routes, and quickly decide to run forward if the pocket collapses he will be a special QB.

Animal02

Banned
I also think this game is a big point in our season ... does The Citadel game become a hiccup and lesson learned or does the snowball start running downhill fast.
Had they beat The Citadel and Temple.....with a three game win streak, I thought they might get on a run and surprise a lot of people......unfortunately, now it looks like those of us that thought we would be at least 6-6 are the ones in for a surprise/

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Had they beat The Citadel and Temple.....with a three game win streak, I thought they might get on a run and surprise a lot of people......unfortunately, now it looks like those of us that thought we would be at least 6-6 are the ones in for a surprise/

Exactly, I was one of those ... although as bad as the ACC looks this year, I still have a sliver of hope.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I was thinking about starting a new thread but decided to just put this here.

I think that this is a must win for us with respect to this 2019 season.
1) To the extent that we've suffered from a lack of focus leading to poor execution, our loss to the Citadel should serve as a sufficient wake-up call.
2) To the extent that familiarity with opposition personnel plays a part in game-planning, our staff knows their personnel better than any other opposition we'll face (obviously, they still also have to game-plan against scheme)
3) We're coming off of a bye week which gives us extra time to plan and prepare.
4) All of our remaining regular-season games are conference or rivalry games against Power5 opposition.​

Now, I think most of us expected that we were better than this coming into this season. If we lose on Saturday, then it will make our prospects of winning another game this year seem really slim. But the good news is that we'll get to go into Mercedes Benz next year, filled with 30k+ ND fans, in front of a national audience, and show how much we've improved.

So, I think we will win on Saturday, and CGC will turn this season around, beating the mutts like the grandma's kicking dogs that they are. Go Jackets!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
From a recruiting standpoint, GT has a decided advantage (according to 247):

GT Temple.png

That's a 4 tier recruiting advantage. In terms of recruiting, a 4 tier recruiting advantage should be HUGE. The reality is the classes of 2016-2018 probably will player a bigger role than guys in the 2015 (redshirt SRs) and 2019 (true freshmen). In 2016, Temple actually recruited as well (better by 1 spot) than GT did.

In a normal year, I would say GT should beat Temple, but this is not a normal year. I like our defense against a "conventional" offense...I actually think Temple will have a difficult time scoring against us. However, our offense is a V8 engine operating on 4 cylinders right now, and if we have a hill to climb we are in trouble. The key is to not create our own hill to climb.

I think we win this one. I think our guys just got a reality check with Citadel and they are furious (and humbled). I think the coaches know what they have (and don't have) and I think they will start playing guys who produce more regardless of the beauty factor.

I don't care what Vegas says, this is a very winnable game for us. Coaches and players need to get their sh!t together because they have the talent advantage against Temple, and the season can come off the tracks quick of they don't show up.

JacketsOfYellow

Georgia Tech Fan
From a recruiting standpoint, GT has a decided advantage (according to 247):

View attachment 6769

That's a 4 tier recruiting advantage. In terms of recruiting, a 4 tier recruiting advantage should be HUGE. The reality is the classes of 2016-2018 probably will player a bigger role than guys in the 2015 (redshirt SRs) and 2019 (true freshmen). In 2016, Temple actually recruited as well (better by 1 spot) than GT did.

In a normal year, I would say GT should beat Temple, but this is not a normal year. I like our defense against a "conventional" offense...I actually think Temple will have a difficult time scoring against us. However, our offense is a V8 engine operating on 4 cylinders right now, and if we have a hill to climb we are in trouble. The key is to not create our own hill to climb.

I think we win this one. I think our guys just got a reality check with Citadel and they are furious (and humbled). I think the coaches know what they have (and don't have) and I think they will start playing guys who produce more regardless of the beauty factor.

I don't care what Vegas says, this is a very winnable game for us. Coaches and players need to get their sh!t together because they have the talent advantage against Temple, and the season can come off the tracks quick of they don't show up.

The 2017 and 2019 recruiting classes for Temple were impacted by coaching changes (Rhule to Baylor and Diaz to Miami/Collins to GT). Temple is a difficult place to recruit, more difficult when transitioning. GT has a significant talent advantage here.

Since I live in the Philly area, I try to keep up with the local colleges. I have a hard enough time keeping up with GT given my work schedule. But PSU gets way more attention in Philly, so hard to find Temple info.

They are hard to read from my understanding. Played great against Maryland, horrible against Buffalo. If the good Temple shows up, going to be a long afternoon, for most teams not just us. Their defense is good. 38 points to Buffalo seems like a lot but they gave up a pick 6, special teams fumble recovery on the 10, multiple drives started in + territory after 4 turnovers. No clue what their offense is like.

I don't trust Patenaude but if we can get inside Temple's head with some momentum plays, our offense should be able to take advantage.

I'll be at the game! Cheap tickets, $15!! Eagles country

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Ahhh... the classic guarantee GT will lose only for them to win by double digits.

My biggest concern is ST with Isaiah Wright returning kicks for Temple

Expect big things outta the run game this week with JPM and TO run package. Hopefully we can utilize our speed and size at WR spot to loosen things up a bit.

Failed miserably to do those things vs the Citadel. Hopefully the bye week has helped us heal up a bit and iron out those wrinkles.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
One factor that hardly anyone has brought up --home field.We are AWAY with no settled QB in a hostile house. This is not the makings for a good game by the Offense --AGAIN. The Def may do ok but if we lose the TO battle the chances go to slim.Also,who is going to kick a 40 yd FG to win/lose the game for us? hmmmm

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Interesting tidbit: GT is 87th in the FBS surrendering 5.95 yds per play. Temple is 33rd in FBS gaining 6.08 yards per play. We allowed 4.7 each to Citadel and USF and 8.0 to CU. Temple can move the ball so it's going to rely heavily on our D to give us a chance to win this game.

FWIW, I think we have the talent to move the ball against Temple while we are on O. I worry that we aren't able to be consistent enough to sustain drives, thus squandering our chances. That's what I saw against Citadel last week. If we can minimize the mistakes I think we can win a close game. I'm just not that confident we are there yet. I'd almost rather we had a "cupcake" game or two late in the season because that's when I think the team will start to gel.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
One factor that hardly anyone has brought up --home field.We are AWAY with no settled QB in a hostile house. This is not the makings for a good game by the Offense --AGAIN. The Def may do ok but if we lose the TO battle the chances go to slim.Also,who is going to kick a 40 yd FG to win/lose the game for us? hmmmm

A Temple fan that posts here said that they average around 20K fans per game. I'm not sure how hostile Temple can get...unless all 20 throw beer bottles and trash at us. Of course, it's Philly, so that's not out of the question either.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
A Temple fan that posts here said that they average around 20K fans per game. I'm not sure how hostile Temple can get...unless all 20 throw beer bottles and trash at us. Of course, it's Philly, so that's not out of the question either.

We actually did that to Notre Dame one year so....(that and raw fish) just saying. :D

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Are you saying the offense could be worse than last week? Maybe the offensive coordinator will miss the plane and CBK can call the plays.

Animal02

Banned
Cannot be that hostile if they only draw 20-30k. The bigger factor is just the travel and throwing off the schedule / routine.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
lol most have amnesia. This was the case vs. Clemson but everyone wanted us to pass
Back then nobody knew how bad our passing game was. In fact it looked pretty good in the spring game. Hitting backs left and right, wheel routes, slants, down the seam, tight ends over the middle, even deep balls. Coaches giving interviews telling us how great the quarterbacks are.