GT 2017= what I have been waiting for on offense (Navy 2.0)

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Skov, Days, Marshall
Allen too, I think, and Sims, definitely. Both were faster, but neither had the outrageous balance Eckel showed. It was almost impossible to knock him off his feet with a single hit, especially in the open field. Mills is like that and so was the real Adrian Peterson.

I've always wanted us to have a BB like Eckel. Looks like my wish has come true and he's faster too boot. We'll see how that works out.

And, yes, Eckel would have started at Tech ahead all our BBs except Dwyer and (maybe) Laskey/Days.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Allen too, I think, and Sims, definitely. Both were faster, but neither had the outrageous balance Eckel showed. It was almost impossible to knock him off his feet with a single hit, especially in the open field. Mills is like that and so was the real Adrian Peterson.

I've always wanted us to have a BB like Eckel. Looks like my wish has come true and he's faster too boot. We'll see how that works out.

And, yes, Eckel would have started at Tech ahead all our BBs except Dwyer and (maybe) Laskey/Days.

... not ahead of Anthony Allen either, imo

I'm also not sure the competition with David Sims would've been that cut and dried

FWIW, I was absolutely not saying that Navy is in any way better than GT. This is a question of STYLE.

I've been curious to see a GT team in the STYLE of Navy, which we haven't seen yet. To me, this year's GT team looks to be in the STYLE of Navy, just more talented.
I have to agree with you. I have watched Navy since CPJ left Annapolis, and they run the option much more crisply than we do. That has been disappointing. But sometimes you have to acknowledge that Navy is playing Temple or UConn or Memphis, and we are playing Clemson, or Georgia or Mississippi State. Sometimes that makes a difference. And we have gotten away from the midline, that Navy does so well. I think that is personnel related. Many say we will get back to that with Jordan at quarterback. You would have to think that Paul Johnson knows the offense at least as well as Coach Niumatalolo.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I have to agree with you. I have watched Navy since CPJ left Annapolis, and they run the option much more crisply than we do.
I think Boomer is right about this: it's a matter of style of the QBs and how coaches adjust to it more then anything else. To see this compare Keenan Reynolds and JT.
Reynolds was perhaps a half-step slower then JT, but (I think) a better runner overall. Still, Navy seldom tried to test the edge like JT did. With their program it's simple: if the pitch read turns his shoulders to the QB, pitch the ball (unless there's no way to make the pitch). I think Coach has usually followed that with our QBs, except when he has a full time riverboat gambler like JT on staff. When that happens, it's all Tracy Ham all the time. JT was that kind of QB, the only one like that he has had here. Reynolds had the talent to be like that; shoot, he has the NCAA record for TDs. Still, he kept to the program and made the pitch on schedule instead of trying to push the edge.
As I've said here before, doing it Middie style makes the option look crisper since the pitch is made sooner and the AB reaches the edge sooner. Oth, the opportunity for longer runs is greater when someone like JT is running the option because he tends to pitch late and attract a lot of opposing D players before he makes it. Result = nobody down field to stop the AB when he clears the edge and a big gain.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Eckel would have been as effective as Skov was here.

The comparisons in this topic are bordering on absurd at this point.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Eckel would have been as effective as Skov was here.

The comparisons in this topic are bordering on absurd at this point.
History does not agree: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Eckel
His NFL achievements say that he was better than all of our guys except Dwyer. Allen seems like the best comparison. Laskey and Days are also both comparable but definitively behind him by the NFL achievement metric. I'm not sure the NFL metric is 100% accurate, but I think it's a much better way to compare than trusting your own GT-biased eyes to judge between player talent levels. Why would an NFL team (or any for-profit organization) pay someone to work for them who was behind someone else that they could easily hire in talent? Opportunity difference, exposure difference, contacts/relationships difference - possible but not likely.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
His NFL achievements say that he was better than all of our guys except Dwyer. Allen seems like the best comparison. Laskey and Days are also both comparable but definitively behind him by the NFL achievement metric. I'm not sure the NFL metric is 100% accurate, but I think it's a much better way to compare than trusting your own GT-biased eyes to judge between player talent levels. Why would an NFL team (or any for-profit organization) pay someone to work for them who was behind someone else that they could easily hire in talent? Opportunity difference, exposure difference, contacts/relationships difference - possible but not likely.

First, I couldn't care less about NFL achievements. GT isn't in the NFL and we don't have an offense that translates at all to the NFL.

Secondly, what NFL achievements? He was a career practice player and special teams guy. What little offense he did play was as a fullback, a position we don't actually have. We saw what happened when we tried to play a true fullback at bback.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
First, I couldn't care less about NFL achievements. GT isn't in the NFL and we don't have an offense that translates at all to the NFL.

Secondly, what NFL achievements? He was a career practice player and special teams guy. What little offense he did play was as a fullback, a position we don't actually have. We saw what happened when we tried to play a true fullback at bback.
Nm