GT 2017= what I have been waiting for on offense (Navy 2.0)

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
I desperately hope you are right. Coach Johnson is on record as saying quarterback is one position he is not worried about. Well, having four guys to choose from is a pretty good security blanket but my feeling (believe me that is all it is) from watching MJ in two games is that he seems to have the trust of his teammates and is a competitor. You really can't ask much more from your quarterback. Bear Bryant's favorite all time quarterback was a guy named Pat Trammel. Bear said that Trammel was not fast, not a particularly good passer but the "boys" would run through a wall for him and he was a winner. He could not do anything but beat you. It is possible that MJ may be Johnson's Trammel. Trammel went on to become a doctor but tragically died young from cancer.

Coach Bryant saying that, "if you'll commit to Alabama, then I'll come back to Alabama." Trammell had actually planned to attend Georgia Tech, after being heavily recruited by head coach Bobby Dodd but at this point, made a career-altering decision that would change the rest of his life.[3]Pat Trammell (1940-1968) was the quarterback for the University of Alabama(UA) Crimson Tide football team from 1958 to 1961. A member of Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant's first freshman class, Trammell earned All-American honors and led Alabama to a National Championship in 1961. UA had a 26-3-4 record in his three years as a starting quarterback. Trammell lost a battle with cancer only two years after earning his M.D. degree from the Medical College of Alabama (now the University of Alabama School of Medicine).

His wife was a friend of mine from our school days in N. Ala. He must have been a great guy, although I never meet him, Ba never remarried.

So my reply to this subject on this thread is it makes no sense. Navy 2.0......um CPJ created this offense and installed it at Navy. He has had teams, based on personnel that ran the variations in different ways. Yes I expect with MJ he will run more mid line, but he may also run more load option as well.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Maybe Navy runs it more consistently but one advantage Tech has its speed at A back and wide receiver. The offense under PJ at Tech is more apt to have big plays passing (or when JT said screw it and tucked it) and on plays to the A back than Navy. Navy probably is more efficient but when it comes to 40, 50, 60 yard plays out of the offense, I wonder how many Tech has had under PJ versus those at Navy under Coach Ken. And you can't over look having to go up against defenses from Clemson, FSU, et al, as well. I might be wrong, but it's the internet, where everybody is right.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Whenever I start thinking about our potential on O this year I start geeking out and need some booze to calm down again.
1. Up front. I think our best and deepest Oline thus far...and by a pretty wide margin.
2. Stud Bback starter, potentially our best yet, and a couple guys behind him that I think can also be very effective.
3. Our best and deepest Aback unit by far. CL (baller) maybe our best big playmaker at Aback yet, then Qua (baller), JJ Green (baller), Cotrell (great potential gonna be baller)....friggin A!
4. Very reliable, great blocking set of WR....have both made s lot of big plays for us and an apparent stud youngun joining the fray.
5. Our deepest and most talented set of QBs under CPJ, 4 guys CPJ is confident in...I'll take that.

I'm most excited by Oline but it's a close call between them, Bback, and Aback.

Ok I gotta find a bottle of bourbon now.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I'll repeat myself: I'm not saying navy is in any way better than gt. I'm also not talking about play calling.

I'm talking about player archetypes. When I followed navy, they had rough neck b backs that weren't homerun hitters, but were a guaranteed 5 yards. The linemen weren't fatties, but were athletic and hit guys in space. The qbs were point guards, guys who looked to distribute the rock, rather than trying to make plays as a first instinct.

That's what I see at gt this year. Guys who for the navy archetypes, but who are more talented.

Sheesh, you guys.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Only a couple of things:

On Navy talent: Let's remember, shall we, that Coach coached Nesbitt, mk. 1: Kaipo. (Indeed, given the choice, I'd take Kaipo, he was faster.) Then there's Ricky Dobbs or JT, mk.1. And Keenan Reynolds, also pretty good. And Shuan White, a pretty good AB. Not too bad. The one thing they miss = a Dwyer. I think Tech has had better overall talent, especially at WR and DB. But I don't think the difference is as great as many here seem to.

On how "different" our offense is: Frankly, I can't see much difference. When they had Kaipo, they looked like us in 2008, minus Dwyer. When they had Dobbs, they looked like we did with JT. Next year, we'll look like they did with Will Worth. The differences are due to the personnel and that fluctuates. Can't see much difference in the Ds; both are at their best when they are average.

I hope we look like Navy next year and the speed differences - those are there alright - will make us pretty hard to beat. We'll see if the prediction proves out.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
The differences between USNA and Tech. are mainly in the defenses we play against. Navy just doesn't see these defenses week after week if at all.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Coach Bryant saying that, "if you'll commit to Alabama, then I'll come back to Alabama." Trammell had actually planned to attend Georgia Tech, after being heavily recruited by head coach Bobby Dodd but at this point, made a career-altering decision that would change the rest of his life.[3]Pat Trammell (1940-1968) was the quarterback for the University of Alabama(UA) Crimson Tide football team from 1958 to 1961. A member of Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant's first freshman class, Trammell earned All-American honors and led Alabama to a National Championship in 1961. UA had a 26-3-4 record in his three years as a starting quarterback. Trammell lost a battle with cancer only two years after earning his M.D. degree from the Medical College of Alabama (now the University of Alabama School of Medicine).

His wife was a friend of mine from our school days in N. Ala. He must have been a great guy, although I never meet him, Ba never remarried.

I am very sorry about this. Pat must have been a fine man.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Only a couple of things:

On Navy talent: Let's remember, shall we, that Coach coached Nesbitt, mk. 1: Kaipo. (Indeed, given the choice, I'd take Kaipo, he was faster.) Then there's Ricky Dobbs or JT, mk.1. And Keenan Reynolds, also pretty good. And Shuan White, a pretty good AB. Not too bad. The one thing they miss = a Dwyer. I think Tech has had better overall talent, especially at WR and DB. But I don't think the difference is as great as many here seem to.

On how "different" our offense is: Frankly, I can't see much difference. When they had Kaipo, they looked like us in 2008, minus Dwyer. When they had Dobbs, they looked like we did with JT. Next year, we'll look like they did with Will Worth. The differences are due to the personnel and that fluctuates. Can't see much difference in the Ds; both are at their best when they are average.

I hope we look like Navy next year and the speed differences - those are there alright - will make us pretty hard to beat. We'll see if the prediction proves out.

I still think the main difference is in the linemen. Our linemen now are much more athletic than what we had a few years ago. (no offense to the players then) As far as Dwyer is concerned. Well, there may never be another one quite like him in Coach Johnson's remaining tenure but there hasn't been anyone quite like Mills either. The closest would be AA and even that is a stretch. The speed of the Abacks might be a critical difference between the Academy and Tech but I really don't know. For sure, we see lot tougher defenses. It is mind boggling how defenses prepare for us and how good they are. Just think about an average triple option team having to face UGA, Virginia Tech, Clemson, Miami, UNC (ok forget that one) Tennessee. A rough row to hoe for sure.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'll repeat myself: I'm not saying navy is in any way better than gt. I'm also not talking about play calling.

I'm talking about player archetypes. When I followed navy, they had rough neck b backs that weren't homerun hitters, but were a guaranteed 5 yards. The linemen weren't fatties, but were athletic and hit guys in space. The qbs were point guards, guys who looked to distribute the rock, rather than trying to make plays as a first instinct.

That's what I see at gt this year. Guys who for the navy archetypes, but who are more talented.

Sheesh, you guys.

Thanks for a positive post. It is exciting to think about what "we" may be.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
#1 I think Navy could play with GT and while they don't have our talent, they are still a very dangerous team that can beat some P5 teams. Week in and week out, I think Navy wears down against a P5 schedule but they have given ND fits.
#2 I understand what the OP is trying to say but I don't agree with him. I think Navy runs the TOption a lot more than Tech's 10-15% in recent years and I don't think Tech is going to shift back to the old way of doing things. Navy runs TO I'm guessing 50% of the time. I see Tech running more midline than in the past but still running a lot of other plays like the Bback wheel route and other plays. Navy runs these plays as well but it's a different mix in my opinion. They don't get to it as often because the TO is run 50% of the time. I also question MJ being the distributor.
#3 Like the OP, I've been wrong before and maybe I'll be wrong again. We may go back to being a heavy option team like Navy.
#4 FYI - I like watching Navy.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
LOLOL. Wow, people taking the OP way out of context. This post is exactly how you can tell us GT fans get our feelings hurt too easily. @ilovetheoption wasn't being literal in comparing us to Navy. The only literal thing he did was compliment a player, and even then someone took it the wrong way.

I get what you're saying, OP...

Thank you. This is the closest I've seen of you admitting that you get your feelings hurt to easily and respond by taking posts out of context.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Thank you. This is the closest I've seen of you admitting that you get your feelings hurt to easily and respond by taking posts out of context.

As someone who claims they're a GT grad, you sure have a comprehension problem. Every time you post, it almost makes me ashamed to say we root for the same school. You either don't understand basic English, or you just like to create drama.

Did I cover all the general @AE 87 trolling with that?

:)

(BTW, if you're not catching on, this is me telling you what other posters have told you: Have fun taking messageboards way too seriously and personal...you'll be doing it on your own.)

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
As someone who claims they're a GT grad, you sure have a comprehension problem. Every time you post, it almost makes me ashamed to say we root for the same school. You either don't understand basic English, or you just like to create drama.

Did I cover all the general @AE 87 trolling with that?

:)

(BTW, if you're not catching on, this is me telling you what other posters have told you: Have fun taking messageboards way too seriously and personal...you'll be doing it on your own.)

:ROFLMAO:

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Coach coached Nesbitt, mk. 1: Kaipo. (Indeed, given the choice, I'd take Kaipo, he was faster.) Then there's Ricky Dobbs or JT, mk.1.

Neither of those comparisons make any sense at all.

Anyways I will never understand the navy 2.0 obsession. We've seen what this offense looks like with more talent than what Navy had. Hell, we saw that before this offense was ever at Navy. Johnson had more talent, relative to the opposition, at GSU and won championships with this offense. He had more talent at GT on several occasions and the offense didn't look like Navy 2.0 for good reasons. Johnson adapts the offense to suit the program. Navy was the adaptation of this offense to a program that will expect to always be at a talent disadvantage. Therefore it makes no sense to try and "map" more talent onto the Navy style.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Neither of those comparisons make any sense at all.

Anyways I will never understand the navy 2.0 obsession. We've seen what this offense looks like with more talent than what Navy had. Hell, we saw that before this offense was ever at Navy. Johnson had more talent, relative to the opposition, at GSU and won championships with this offense. He had more talent at GT on several occasions and the offense didn't look like Navy 2.0 for good reasons. Johnson adapts the offense to suit the program. Navy was the adaptation of this offense to a program that will expect to always be at a talent disadvantage. Therefore it makes no sense to try and "map" more talent onto the Navy style.
Power running at qb and bb as the catalyst for all the other bells and whistles. That is the comparison and it's a valid one. We are not limited to this style thanks to our versatility and depth at qb. But it can be very effective and dynamic.