GT 2017= what I have been waiting for on offense (Navy 2.0)

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
So, when I started rooting for you guys, what I wanted to see was a rich man's version of Navy. That actually hasn't really ever happened.

Navy had sledgehammer b-backs (think Kyle Eckel), physical QB's that knew how to operate the offense, A-Backs that were well rounded jacks of all trades and masters of none, and offensive linemen that were undersized but athletic and nasty.

I have been waiting to see just an improved version of that. Instead (and this is not necessarily a bad thing), you've ether had homerun hitters at B-Back or QB, or linemen that weren't as athletic as Navy's guys but much bigger, or some other iteration that was awesome, but not what I had in mind.

I think you guys are going to look like Navy+ this year. A b-back that delivers bodyblows all game long. A QB that is more of a distributor than a first option, an OL that is at the 2nd and third level tearing guys up sprinting around with their shoulder pads 2 feet off the ground.

I'm super curious to see if the offense that I envisioned for you guys (Navy, but with P5 talent), that I'm finally getting to see, is as effective as I imagined it (and I imagined it to be an absolute load).

Again, I'm not saying this iteration is better or worse than other iterations, but it's the one I envisioned when Johnson was hired, and I'm probably more geeked for this year than any since the first.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I pretty much agree, especially nowadays. Navy's G-C-G combo last year went 306 - 280 - 295. Not that much different from Tech's.

Oth, I also would like to see us as efficient as Navy was last year. I think we are going to see what Coach calls "a quarterback - b-back game" a lot more. For which three cheers, especially since Adrian Peterson (mark 2) is at BB.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
So, when I started rooting for you guys, what I wanted to see was a rich man's version of Navy. That actually hasn't really ever happened.

Navy had sledgehammer b-backs (think Kyle Eckel), physical QB's that knew how to operate the offense, A-Backs that were well rounded jacks of all trades and masters of none, and offensive linemen that were undersized but athletic and nasty.

I have been waiting to see just an improved version of that. Instead (and this is not necessarily a bad thing), you've ether had homerun hitters at B-Back or QB, or linemen that weren't as athletic as Navy's guys but much bigger, or some other iteration that was awesome, but not what I had in mind.

I think you guys are going to look like Navy+ this year. A b-back that delivers bodyblows all game long. A QB that is more of a distributor than a first option, an OL that is at the 2nd and third level tearing guys up sprinting around with their shoulder pads 2 feet off the ground.

I'm super curious to see if the offense that I envisioned for you guys (Navy, but with P5 talent), that I'm finally getting to see, is as effective as I imagined it (and I imagined it to be an absolute load).

Again, I'm not saying this iteration is better or worse than other iterations, but it's the one I envisioned when Johnson was hired, and I'm probably more geeked for this year than any since the first.

Sorry but all I noticed from your post was that you went back to your old way of talking about Tech e.g. "you guys" or "your team". I was hoping we could get back on an "our team" basis with you. You are a work in progress. Hope to see a post from you later this year that "our team" is kicking butt. :)

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Sorry but all I noticed from your post was that you went back to your old way of talking about Tech e.g. "you guys" or "your team". I was hoping we could get back on an "our team" basis with you. You are a work in progress. Hope to see a post from you later this year that "our team" is kicking butt. :)
It's been "you guys" up until now, so "you guys" was appropriate. It's "us" this year :)

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
My take fwiw: Navy probably doesn't have the number of missed assignments we've had in some crucial games, like ND 2015. However, I think we need to take seriously the difference in schedule strength. Navy plays ND and maybe one other Pwr5 level team all year.

As a point of comparison, in 2015, Navy played Pitt in their bowl game. They averaged 5.87 yds/carry. We averaged 9.4 yds/carry against Pitt that year.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
My take fwiw: Navy probably doesn't have the number of missed assignments we've had in some crucial games, like ND 2015. However, I think we need to take seriously the difference in schedule strength. Navy plays ND and maybe one other Pwr5 level team all year.

As a point of comparison, in 2015, Navy played Pitt in their bowl game. They averaged 5.87 yds/carry. We averaged 9.4 yds/carry against Pitt that year.
FWIW, I was absolutely not saying that Navy is in any way better than GT. This is a question of STYLE.

I've been curious to see a GT team in the STYLE of Navy, which we haven't seen yet. To me, this year's GT team looks to be in the STYLE of Navy, just more talented.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, I was absolutely not saying that Navy is in any way better than GT. This is a question of STYLE.

I've been curious to see a GT team in the STYLE of Navy, which we haven't seen yet. To me, this year's GT team looks to be in the STYLE of Navy, just more talented.

Ah, misunderstood. I don't see the stylistic difference as starkly as you, I guess, but I agree that MJ and DM might be a QB Bback combo closer to what we've seen from Navy recently.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Good post. I think it's cool how most GT fans (and fans of the CPJ spread like yourself, @ilovetheoption) have a different part of the offense they like the best.

Also unique to the CPJ spread is that there are so many ways the offense can be successful. People who don't understand it don't appreciate this. Can you imagine a pro-style offense being dominant without a great pocket passer QB? It couldn't. They HAVE to have that player in that position. Same at RB or WR.

But we can be dominate with or without a burner at QB. We can have homerun BBs or bruisers and dominate. Shifty runners at AB or rangy WR types. We can grind it out or score in seconds. And we've had several types of dominant offenses ar GT. 2009, 2011, 2014, 2016 at times.

What will this years version look like? Don't know, but I'm hopeful we have the pieces everywhere to do it all!

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Sorry but this is maybe the dumbest post I have seen since being on this vent.
Is your son not one of a flight of a little light, but athletic as hell linemen? Is Mills not a riggins-esque slobber knocker? Are the abacks not well rounded kids that can kill you in any phase?

I feel you may have misunderstood me.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Will is 285 15% body fat. He could play at any school in the country. So could all the players at GT. GT would kill Navy. JMO. Navy would not do well in the ACC. We don't really care about what Navy does. Maybe I did not get the message :)

Last edited:

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

Double post, sorry.

Last edited:

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Respectfully, I must take issue with your conclusions. A Navy offense on "roids" is probably not in the cards. I don't see MJ as being a true distributor in the way you do. He will run the ball more often than not. I hope to be pleasantly surprised to see him wheeling and dealing with more pitches to Abacks but I will believe it when I see it. Tech's version is not at all like Navy, our athletes are on a whole different level. It's just not the same. I will leave it to others more knowledgeable to wade into the thicket but quite frankly many of the ACC caliber teams would probably stuff Navy's triple option. Your post was an interesting take and yes early on there were people complaining about why our offense did not seem to run as smoothly as Navy's. But this year's team is just an altogether different team than the ones early on in Coach Johnson's tenure. Our offensive linemen are bigger, stronger, and faster. It is a whole different ball game. I would venture to say that in the entirety of Navy's version of the triple option they have had no one remotely as good as Smelter, Dwyer, Shaq, Mills, Uzzi, Burden, JT5, Nesbit, Bey Bey, AA, well you get the idea.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Will is 285 15% body fat. He could play at any school in the country. So could all the players at GT. GT would kill Navy. JMO. Navy would not do well in the ACC. We don't really care about what Navy does. Maybe I did not get the message :)
The point is exactly that they could play anywhere. You take that talent, and map it onto navys style, and you have what I'm excited to see.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Respectfully, I must take issue with your conclusions. A Navy offense on "roids" is probably not in the cards. I don't see MJ as being a true distributor in the way you do. He will run the ball more often than not. I hope to be pleasantly surprised to see him wheeling and dealing with more pitches to Abacks but I will believe it when I see it. Tech's version is not at all like Navy, our athletes are on a whole different level. It's just not the same. I will leave it to others more knowledgeable to wade into the thicket but quite frankly many of the ACC caliber teams would probably stuff Navy's triple option. Your post was an interesting take and yes early on there were people complaining about why our offense did not seem to run as smoothly as Navy's. But this year's team is just an altogether different team than the ones early on in Coach Johnson's tenure. Our offensive linemen are bigger, stronger, and faster. It is a whole different ball game.
You may be right about MJ. I have high hopes that he will spread it around. I think he's got it in him. Lol, that said I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
You may be right about MJ. I have high hopes that he will spread it around. I think he's got it in him. Lol, that said I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again.
I desperately hope you are right. Coach Johnson is on record as saying quarterback is one position he is not worried about. Well, having four guys to choose from is a pretty good security blanket but my feeling (believe me that is all it is) from watching MJ in two games is that he seems to have the trust of his teammates and is a competitor. You really can't ask much more from your quarterback. Bear Bryant's favorite all time quarterback was a guy named Pat Trammel. Bear said that Trammel was not fast, not a particularly good passer but the "boys" would run through a wall for him and he was a winner. He could not do anything but beat you. It is possible that MJ may be Johnson's Trammel. Trammel went on to become a doctor but tragically died young from cancer.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
The point is exactly that they could play anywhere. You take that talent, and map it onto navys style, and you have what I'm excited to see.
GT's Offense is much more advanced than Navy's version. Thats why GT can go 93 yards in 6 plays in the 4th Qtr against teams like UGA. GT has CPJ who is a master at instant adjustments. I do believe you will see some of what you want. GT will still make big plays, it won't be the simple offense Navy runs though.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
GT's Offense is much more advanced than Navy's version. Thats why GT can go 93 yards in 6 plays in the 4th Qtr against teams like UGA. GT has CPJ who is a master at instant adjustments. I do believe you will see some of what you want. GT will still make big plays, it won't be the simple offense Navy runs though.
I think what the OP is getting at is GT returning to the inside combo power run game as our primary that sets up everything else.