GT 2017= what I have been waiting for on offense (Navy 2.0)

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm waiting for a power runner, that has great speed, and is a good passer at QB. If you think about it, GT has never had a "triple threat" at QB, but we've still managed to do extremely well with this offense.

Nesbitt was as good of a power runner at QB as you'll find for this offense. He was an effective, but not good passer. Speed was above average before leg injuries took their toll.

Tevin was more of a master technician (probably the best at GT), but lacked any great physical skillsets.

Vad was a decent power runner, had great speed, and was a fairly decent passer. Of course, there were other things going on here that held him back.

JeT had elite speed and quickness as his NFL workout numbers will attest to, and was probably the best passer of the GT QBs so far under CPJ. He was not a power runner, and it limited us somewhat.

MJ has shown he will be a very good power runner. Better speed than most give him credit for, but not elite speed. Passing is TBD, but I think he can be more effective than Nesbitt. Hopefully at least Tevin but with better arm strength. MJ is going to be a workhorse that will suprise a lot of people, IMO.

LJ and JJ, the redshirt freshmen...man, their physical skillsets sure get you excited. I think we'll get glimpses of them this season, and it will create a stir because they can do things that make you go "wow...", but ultimately they'll have to wait their turn.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Neither of those comparisons make any sense at all.

Anyways I will never understand the navy 2.0 obsession. We've seen what this offense looks like with more talent than what Navy had. Hell, we saw that before this offense was ever at Navy. Johnson had more talent, relative to the opposition, at GSU and won championships with this offense. He had more talent at GT on several occasions and the offense didn't look like Navy 2.0 for good reasons. Johnson adapts the offense to suit the program. Navy was the adaptation of this offense to a program that will expect to always be at a talent disadvantage. Therefore it makes no sense to try and "map" more talent onto the Navy style.
See, now THIS is interesting to me. Good post @lv20gt

The GSU thing is interesting, but don't necessarily think it's apples to apples. P5 defenses are not only more talented than 1AA offenses, they're better coached, too. So I think the question could conceivably remain regarding the ability of this offense to win championships at the FBS level (...I just realize how many different label sets I mixed in that sentence. Piss poor effort by yours truly, I admit it.).

Nevertheless, it's fair thought that the "navy map" (for lack of a better term) was playcalling optimized to mitigate a talent gap, and that the playcalling (and even play style) might not be the same when optimizing for absolute performance.

I'm not sure I agree, but it's certainly an angle worth considering, and one I appreciate you bringing up.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
The OP made sense to me. I don't think it was trying to compare the talent level of GT and Navy, I'm not sure why some people took it that way. JT running the show was a lot different than the way Navy runs the offense. When GT had Nesbitt and AA at BB was closer to what we will see this year, except that our OL is better now, and our ABs are probably the best that they have ever been. I'm with the OP, and am excited to see what happens.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Power running at qb and bb as the catalyst for all the other bells and whistles. That is the comparison and it's a valid one. We are not limited to this style thanks to our versatility and depth at qb. But it can be very effective and dynamic.

So basically what we had with Nesbitt at QB?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Neither of those comparisons make any sense at all.
Sorry, Kiapo was faster then Nesbitt and Dobbs was as talented as JT. Look at some film.

But … the reason I said that we'd look a lot like Navy last year this year is Jordan and Mills. MJ is a Will Worth clone; a big roughneck QB who can put his shoulders down at the edge and get 4 every time and who can make the midline work. Mills, oth, is an Eckel clone, albeit faster. Add in our speed at AB and the combo could be truly deadly.

Or not. Everything looks great before the first game. I think we'll be very hard to stop, but that's just one opinion.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I think what the OP is getting at is GT returning to the inside combo power run game as our primary that sets up everything else.

yep, I think we will see a Nesbitt-like Off with power runs inside--there are differences though--MJ/Mills are good but are not as good as JN/Dwyer-certainly not at this point--our Abacks maybe as skilled now -but we have no Bey-Bey
so it comes down to the Oline to make the difference

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I get the general idea. MJ and Worth are similar sized (MJ is bigger) and both can put the shoulder down, so I can imagine the comparison but there's not enough film.
But there are folks who are making more than a stylistic comparison. And for those...
Nesbitt was 20 pounds heavier than Kaipo. Nesbitt ran a 4.6 at the combine. I don't think it's a useful comparison.
Eckel ended up bigger and significantly slower than Dedrick. I think it's useful for a big-back comparison, but they aren't close within that category.
And I just watched some Dobbs film. He's a very good inside runner, TO technician and passer -- sort of a super-Tevin at his best, but he gets run down by OSU DL more than once.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
yep, I think we will see a Nesbitt-like Off with power runs inside--there are differences though--MJ/Mills are good but are not as good as JN/Dwyer-certainly not at this point--our Abacks maybe as skilled now -but we have no Bey-Bey
so it comes down to the Oline to make the difference
Mills just might end up > Dwyer. He can move a pile better already. He's not as fast, but that is less important when you break through straight up the middle. I can still picture both Cox boys breaking off td runs in big games.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I get the general idea. MJ and Worth are similar sized (MJ is bigger) and both can put the shoulder down, so I can imagine the comparison but there's not enough film.
But there are folks who are making more than a stylistic comparison. And for those...
Nesbitt was 20 pounds heavier than Kaipo. Nesbitt ran a 4.6 at the combine. I don't think it's a useful comparison.
Eckel ended up bigger and significantly slower than Dedrick. I think it's useful for a big-back comparison, but they aren't close within that category.
And I just watched some Dobbs film. He's a very good inside runner, TO technician and passer -- sort of a super-Tevin at his best, but he gets run down by OSU DL more than once.

I don't see the kaipo nesbitt comparison at all, tbh. Kaipo was a good, not great athlete, and was far smaller. Where he shined was in execution/reads. He NEVER made a bad read, because he had been running the offense since he was like in 8th grade.

If GT is to have a Kaipo style guy, the best bet is Tobias Oliver, who is also not a special athlete, but has long experience making the reads. Again, I'm not talking talent level here, just styles.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer

Mills is faster, but he may end up as big. Eckel played in the mid to upper 230's, and Mills is 227 entering his sophomore year.

But again, it's style. They're both violent runners with better balance and hips than you would expect for guys that size.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
In response to the OP, referencing only stylistic issues (which I think was the original intent), to my eye, it seems there are differences between NAVY and GT. Over the last 5 years or so, covering the VL/JT era mostly, while the alignments look similar (without considering OL splits), we have gotten used to seeing the second phase of the option run wider towards the sideline, while NAVY has typically gotten the ball headed north and south much quicker. JT especially, likes to work in space and tries to create it with his speed heading wide. The Navy QBs, over the same time, prefer to get moving up the field quicker, forcing an earlier commitment from the pitch read. The end result appears to have more runs between the hashes and quicker pitches. Additionally, I would say that the play calling in general has been different, even though the principles are basically the same.

Bottom line: if you are a coach, you are going to have your kids working towards their strengths. Both programs have done that. GT goes wide more and stretches the field more through the air. GT also worked more back shoulder throws and designed rollouts etc. We probably ran more counter option where NAVY has run more midline.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
200_s.gif