Graham Academically Ineligible

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
There are posters here that make that claim

Next time one comes up please point it out. The statement I made was that I had never seen someone say GT is no harder than ANYWHERE else. And I still haven't. I can't, of course, see every post. I have seen people on the three boards I follow suggest that there are majors at some of the really good schools that are just as challenging as getting through GT. But I've not seen ones where people say GT is just that easy.

Of course in the history of message boards I'm sure someone has something as asinine as that. But I imagine if I did ever see it I probably classified that poster as someone completely devoid of credibility and ignored it. HAH hah!!!

Milwaukee

Banned
Next time one comes up please point it out. The statement I made was that I had never seen someone say GT is no harder than ANYWHERE else. And I still haven't. I can't, of course, see every post. I have seen people on the three boards I follow suggest that there are majors at some of the really good schools that are just as challenging as getting through GT. But I've not seen ones where people say GT is just that easy.

Of course in the history of message boards I'm sure someone has something as asinine as that. But I imagine if I did ever see it I probably classified that poster as someone completely devoid of credibility and ignored it. HAH hah!!!

Nm

Last edited:

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Dear mods ,
When u clean these old men off the Grahmn front yard please leave my question.

Did Graham take advance placement classes, enroll early, and or take summer classes.?
If he fell behind in first semester could he have been put on 5 year track at lower credit hour per semester.? Would that be allowed?

In general this pionts to a need to get recruits early!

All it depends on is how far off from eligibility he is. He could be really close or not. If you are not eligible after one semester he probably has a gpa below 1.0. Iirc that is the cutoff or around there. Maybe its 1.5. Is he at .9. Or .4? None of us know. If he is too low he has a bigger hole and if we cant dig out this spring and summer he will likely be gone. But he has another semester. He still has plenty of chances and time just needs to buckle down.

I would like to add. Gt SA support staff and tudors are great. If you are a scholly SA and still failing out you dont care. Its not because tech is hard. Its because you dont care. I laugh at all the normal students saying how hard tech was for them and comparing it to our football players.

The team practically gets the answers to the tests, or similar, before every test ok. You read that? We have a 86 percent graduation rate for football. In the history of the school, thats higher than the normal student population, which at times, 50 percent failed out their freshman year. Which at best would put the schools grad rate at 50 percent (its higher lately, but if you use the football measurement still below 86). And. These players are far below the avg tech student in qualification.

So why is that? Hmmmmmm. Perhaps i know why. And i said why. Because they care. And get biGTime help. We help these kids get through school more than most schools. In fact i know one player that had no business at gt and had no prob graduating. He hardly could do much.

Yes. Its harder than most p5 schools if not all. But we give them the golden key. Just gotta care.

Last edited:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
So why is that? Hmmmmmm. Perhaps i know why. And i said why. Because they care. And get biGTime help. We help these kids get through school more than most schools. In fact i know one player that had no business at gt and had no prob graduating. He hardly could do much.

Yes. Its harder than most p5 schools if not all. But we give them the golden key. Just gotta care.
Everything short of doing the work and taking the tests, or.... not?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
All it depends on is how far off from eligibility he is. He could be really close or not. If you are not eligible after one semester he probably has a gpa below 1.0. Iirc that is the cutoff or around there. Maybe its 1.5. Is he at .9. Or .4? None of us know. If he is too low he has a bigger hole and if we cant dig out this spring and summer he will likely be gone. But he has another semester. He still has plenty of chances and time just needs to buckle down.

I would like to add. Gt SA support staff and tudors are great. If you are a scholly SA and still failing out you dont care. Its not because tech is hard. Its because you dont care. I laugh at all the normal students saying how hard tech was for them and comparing it to our football players.

The team practically gets the answers to the tests, or similar, before every test ok. You read that? We have a 86 percent graduation rate for football. In the history of the school, thats higher than the normal student population, which at times, 50 percent failed out their freshman year. Which at best would put the schools grad rate at 50 percent (its higher lately, but if you use the football measurement still below 86). And. These players are far below the avg tech student in qualification.

That's not my understanding. From what I gather around this board, GT is so impossibly hard that our SAs are miserable its so difficult and GT has no business in P5 football

(Please ignore the fact we're one of the winningest programs in the last 30 years)

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
That's not my understanding. From what I gather around this board, GT is so impossibly hard that our SAs are miserable its so difficult and GT has no business in P5 football

(Please ignore the fact we're one of the winningest programs in the last 30 years)
Hyperbolize much?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
42BAF259-4DA9-48B2-8FBF-C538972BCCED.jpeg

It’s just an IG story post. He isn’t planning on leaving.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
. .... I have seen people on the three boards I follow suggest that there are majors at some of the really good schools that are just as challenging as getting through GT. But I've not seen ones where people say GT is just that easy....
There is always a certain ego involved with GT courses and professsors and grading and students and ...I am certain they are for the most part bright -- ot all of 'em can be above average, after all -- but bright students are everywhere and as you note, some of those liberal arts courses at other schools are very difficult in ways difficult to quantify as compared to the technical element at GT. These are courses that for the most part do not attract athletes and often the athletes are steered away from them.

Animal02

Banned

Had to look it up. Academic probation is 1.0 ( things have gotten easier)
I don't know if there is any separate team rules that would have made him ineligible even with a higher GPA.
The bad news, however.... is from the NCAA
"Student-athletes must achieve 90 percent of the institution’s minimum overall grade-point average necessary to graduate (for example, 1.8) by the beginning of year two, 95 percent of the minimum GPA (1.9) by year three and 100 percent (2.0) by year four."
If he had a 1.0 or less, raising his overall to a 1.8 becomes a potentialy monument task.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Had to look it up. Academic probation is 1.0 ( things have gotten easier)
I don't know if there is any separate team rules that would have made him ineligible even with a higher GPA.
The bad news, however.... is from the NCAA
"Student-athletes must achieve 90 percent of the institution’s minimum overall grade-point average necessary to graduate (for example, 1.8) by the beginning of year two, 95 percent of the minimum GPA (1.9) by year three and 100 percent (2.0) by year four."
If he had a 1.0 or less, raising his overall to a 1.8 becomes a potentialy monument task.
Freshman Forgiveness. You take the class again and replace an F with a C. Does wonders for your GPA. Doesn’t help with progress towards graduation requirements though. Geez, some act like the kid is so far in the tank he could never climb out. It’s not like the old days when you joined the square root club & it was damn near the death sentence.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Freshman Forgiveness. You take the class again and replace an F with a C. Does wonders for your GPA. Doesn’t help with progress towards graduation requirements though. Geez, some act like the kid is so far in the tank he could never climb out. It’s not like the old days when you joined the square root club & it was damn near the death sentence.

Wait, what?! You get to replace grades now?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Wait, what?! You get to replace grades now?

This was discussed earlier in another thread. Yes they do this now. General consensus is that Tech is much harder to get into nowadays but much easier to get out due to policy and procedure changes such as this... Part of the kinder and gentler world we are living in these days.

I have no agenda here but do indeed have direct information to support both sides of the equation. Example NFL high draft pick from UGA taking all of his classes on line over the last two years of his 3 year stay so he could gain 60 lbs and increase strength. Stated directly to me that he didn't consider Tech because of their rigid class structure. He was told during recruitment that this flexibility was available at UGA. This was a bright kid that chose a factory because of the freedom and flexibility to chase his dream. On the other side of the coin, we have players attending a required lab during a practice. I hate blanket statements from people from both sides of this stupid argument. We just need to continue to sell what we are . We are unique in all of power 5 football and the only power 5 in the ATL!

that lab was for a friggin EARTH SCIENCE class

Our so -called "STEM CORE" is 2 semesters of Earth Science and 2 Math classes (Finite Math & SURVEY of Calc), BTW these aren't even accepted for GT's Engr-CompSci-Math-Science Majors, only for Business & LMC & HST which is what 90% of our scholly FB players major in

I wish board Mods would limit the misinformation about GT's tough academics that scares away recruits unnecessarily and makes old fart alums get a woody over the eliteness of their degree