Graham Academically Ineligible

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
SW - Did you got to GT? The reason I ask is that I graduated from there, and I have a family member who attended Vanderbilt and another that attended Duke. What I can tell you is that because schools like Stanford and Duke, etc. have non STEM majors, the academic rigor, once they are accepted, can be minimal compared to GT. So, yes, it is easier to keep a kid eligible at Stanford than GT, depending on their major. Let's don't keep this going. It is true, but if you don't believe it, that is fine. Private, academic schools are not like GT.

With that said, if a kid has ZERO desire to do academics, you are right that they will have issues anywhere.
When did I say it was easier than Stanford? I said teams like Stanford have also struggled, and like @Milwaukee said : This is a problem for every team. But I still stick my original point, to think that any 4-5 star recruit just can’t remain eligible at GT is Ignorant.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
When did I say it was easier than Stanford? I said teams like Stanford have also struggled, and like @Milwaukee said : This is a problem for every team. But I still stick my original point, to think that any 4-5 star recruit just can’t remain eligible at GT is Ignorant.

We agree to disagree.

My only point is that higher rated kids believe they are going NFL, the higher they are ranked and courted by hundreds of schools coming out of HS, the more they believe the NFL is their future, it provides them (in general - definitely not every case) less motivation needed to succeed in academic rigor. That is human nature.

I am hoping that CGC can find those rare cats that want both, great challenging academics and an NFL career. I know they exist, but they are not out there in the thousands.

Bye.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
We agree to disagree.

My only point is that higher rated kids believe they are going NFL, the higher they are ranked and courted by hundreds of schools coming out of HS, the more they believe the NFL is their future, it provides them (in general - definitely not every case) less motivation needed to succeed in academic rigor. That is human nature.

Bye.
If you don’t think it’s ignorant to make assumptions on many based off of one case then I don’t know what to tell you. Especially when it’s been proven that most of our 4 stars have graduated, and we have multiple on the roster right now that are eligible. Based on your opinion it’s not ignorant for me to believe every WR we recruit will be as good as Calvin Johnson. Do you see what I’m getting at now?

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
If you don’t think it’s ignorant to make assumptions on many based off of one case then I don’t know what to tell you. Especially when it’s been proven that most of our 4 stars have graduated, and we have multiple on the roster right now that are eligible. Based on your opinion it’s not ignorant for me to believe every WR we recruit will be as good as Calvin Johnson. Do you see what I’m getting at now?

I am talking about the entire population of 4 star guys, not the ones that choose to go to GT. Most of those do understand what they are getting into academically.

FYI - there are tons of 4 star kids who graduate other schools with useless degrees, if that is what you mean.

I think we agree on most things here, but I am talking about 4 star population in general and their desire for academic rigor. It ain't like GT has tons and tons of 4 star guys (guys that all recruiting sites agree are 4 stars).

Like I said, agree to disagree. But, if you keep posting, I will keep posting.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
JG was friggin’ redshirting and couldn’t keep eligible. Anyone still trying to say GT is no more academically challenging than anywhere else either has their head in the sand or is a complete dumbarse.

I’ve long said getting them in isn’t the main academic hurdle, keeping them in is. Or rather, finding the ones who qualify AND have the desire and ability to do what it takes to stay on track is the real challenge in recruiting. Oh, almost forgot, they have to be ballers, too, or who cares.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
JG was friggin’ redshirting and couldn’t keep eligible. Anyone still trying to say GT is no more academically challenging than anywhere else either has their head in the sand or is a complete dumbarse.

I’ve long said getting them in isn’t the main academic hurdle, keeping them in is. Or rather, finding the ones who qualify AND have the desire and ability to do what it takes to stay on track is the real challenge in recruiting. Oh, almost forgot, they have to be ballers, too, or who cares.

I'm pretty sure that in all the time I've been on GT message boards I've never seen anyone claim that GT isn't more academically challenging than our competition.

Milwaukee

Banned
JG was friggin’ redshirting and couldn’t keep eligible. Anyone still trying to say GT is no more academically challenging than anywhere else either has their head in the sand

Can you tell us who has said Tech is no more challenging than anywhere else or are you just wanting to complain about something, passive aggressively mind you.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'm pretty sure that in all the time I've been on GT message boards I've never seen anyone claim that GT isn't more academically challenging than our competition.
Well when someone says since we offer x% of the Ga top 100, academics is no obstacle, it pretty much means the same.

Milwaukee

Banned
Equivalencies are not fabrications. So let’s go by the actual statement, you in agreement with that?

I see an obvious strawman is all. I surf the board pretty hard and I've never seen one person claim what you're saying. You get called to the carpet on it and then it's "well I'm sure they actually meant this because they said that", that doesn't really fly. Maybe I've missed the posts, it's possible.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Dear mods ,
When u clean these old men off the Grahmn front yard please leave my question.

Did Graham take advance placement classes, enroll early, and or take summer classes.?
If he fell behind in first semester could he have been put on 5 year track at lower credit hour per semester.? Would that be allowed?

In general this pionts to a need to get recruits early!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I see an obvious strawman is all. I surf the board pretty hard and I've never seen one person claim what you're saying. You get called to the carpet on it and then it's "well I'm sure they actually meant this because they said that", that doesn't really fly. Maybe I've missed the posts, it's possible.
Bottom lines are pretty obvious. I’m not gonna call anybody out even if I remember the particular member. But if somebody tells me we’re offering the same guys as everybody else in response to an assertion that GT’s academics are a limiting factor/hurdle, I’m gonna take that to mean he thinks academics are not a limiting factor.

thebull35

Jolly Good Fellow

I was a D1 college baseball player that had a redshirt year. I can tell you from experience that BY FAR the hardest year to maintain eligibility was that redshirt year. When I realized I was being redshirted I partied a heck of a lot more than I did any other years. Those other years I was so focused that nothing would keep me off field because I knew my team counted on me (was named Freshman All American and All Conference a couple of years). All of that to say I can TOTALLY see how someone can become ineligible coming off a redshirt year.