Graham Academically Ineligible

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Had to look it up. Academic probation is 1.0 ( things have gotten easier)
I don't know if there is any separate team rules that would have made him ineligible even with a higher GPA.
The bad news, however.... is from the NCAA
"Student-athletes must achieve 90 percent of the institution’s minimum overall grade-point average necessary to graduate (for example, 1.8) by the beginning of year two, 95 percent of the minimum GPA (1.9) by year three and 100 percent (2.0) by year four."
If he had a 1.0 or less, raising his overall to a 1.8 becomes a potentialy monument task.

Gotcha. What is our min to graduate? Is it 1.5?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This was discussed earlier in another thread. Yes they do this now. General consensus is that Tech is much harder to get into nowadays but much easier to get out due to policy and procedure changes such as this... Part of the kinder and gentler world we are living in these days.

Can I go back and re-take classes to retroactively puff up my GPA?

What is happening here? This is not the GT I know and grew to have a love-hate relationship with...

Milwaukee

Banned
that lab was for a friggin EARTH SCIENCE class

Our so -called "STEM CORE" is 2 semesters of Earth Science and 2 Math classes (Finite Math & SURVEY of Calc), BTW these aren't even accepted for GT's Engr-CompSci-Math-Science Majors, only for Business & LMC & HST which is what 90% of our scholly FB players major in

I wish board Mods would limit the misinformation about GT's tough academics that scares away recruits unnecessarily and makes old fart alums get a woody over the eliteness of their degree

NtTom coming with SMOKE this morning.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Can I go back and re-take classes to retroactively puff up my GPA?

What is happening here? This is not the GT I know and grew to have a love-hate relationship with...

This is a much bigger question and one probably better moved to one of the other forums. FWIW, i tend to think it's kind of sad in a way.

Animal02

Banned

Our so -called "STEM CORE" is 2 semesters of Earth Science and 2 Math classes (Finite Math & SURVEY of Calc), BTW these aren't even accepted for GT's Engr-CompSci-Math-Science Majors, only for Business & LMC & HST which is what 90% of our scholly FB players major in

I wish board Mods would limit the misinformation about GT's tough academics that scares away recruits unnecessarily and makes old fart alums get a woody over the eliteness of their degree
More head in the sand by the resident Troll. :rolleyes:

Yes, SW, I am not saying there are NO kids rated 4 star that can't handle it. I agree there are, if we can get the right ones. But, I will say, in general, the higher the recruit's ratings, again, in general, the more chance he is only interested in the NFL. In Graham's case, he wanted, like JT, to play QB. When guys that want to play NFL start dealing with academic rigor, it does not always work out very well. Heck, when non football players start dealing with GT academic rigor, it does not always work out very well. :)

All I am saying is that at GT, this should not surprise us, although we certainly hope it is the minority of the time.

This is a complete load of crap

Assuming that folks with NFL talent are only interested in the NFL is complete crap, stereotypical crap

An example:

The McCaffrey family is known for combining Academics & Athletics going back 2 or 3 generations, the most recent 3 P5 McCaffreys went to Dook (a WR), Stanford (a RB), and Michigan (a QB), not one of them even dared to sniff GT FB, never even took a look to see what GT FB had to offer

GT's problem in FB & recruiting is not the lack of high-3* & up that can do the Academics, GT's problem is that when those Recruits are out there, they don't even put GT on their radar, instead we get a lot of FCS talent guys that love to focus on GT and hope we'll flip them before NSD, confused Alums like you mistake this for academic eliteness WRT CFB

GA had 39 four* & higher rated recruits, CPJ ( oh ye of high graduation rates) offered 26 of them, a 66% clip, that projects to 66 of the Top100 recruits in GA being academic qualifiers for a FB scholly here at GT

Academic qualifiers high-3*& higher that can graduate ain't the problem

The PROBLEM is getting them to attracted to GT FB

Animal02

Banned
This is a complete load of crap

Assuming that folks with NFL talent are only interested in the NFL is complete crap, stereotypical crap

An example:

The McCaffrey family is known for combining Academics & Athletics going back 2 or 3 generations, the most recent 3 P5 McCaffreys went to Dook (a WR), Stanford (a RB), and Michigan (a QB), not one of them even dared to sniff GT FB, never even took a look to see what GT FB had to offer

GT's problem in FB & recruiting is not the lack of high-3* & up that can do the Academics, GT's problem is that when those Recruits are out there, they don't even put GT on their radar, instead we get a lot of FCS talent guys that love to focus on GT and hope we'll flip them before NSD, confused Alums like you mistake this for academic eliteness WRT CFB

GA had 39 four* & higher rated recruits, CPJ ( oh ye of high graduation rates) offered 26 of them, a 66% clip, that projects to 66 of the Top100 recruits in GA being academic qualifiers for a FB scholly here at GT

Academic qualifiers high-3*& higher that can graduate ain't the problem

The PROBLEM is getting them to attracted to GT FB
And a double dose of head in the sand:rolleyes:

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Current world we live in. Starbuckin' it, man. Get em in and churn em out. Dollar bills.

In a way it's kind of ironic that our academic side has changed to meet the modern realities of college as a profit center and has done what is necessary to keep up with the Jones'. But our GTAA (pre-TS) was status quo and operating in a manner that was unaware of its competition.

Milwaukee

Banned
I had enough of him when he posted as WnE, or Wiener, as we called him, on the old AJC blogs. I find nothing funny about him at all. He's just an ignorant POS troll.

Is he ignorant or annoying though? Big difference. I have no idea, I'm honestly asking. Are you guys saying his info is wrong or you just don't like to hear his info. Big difference. There's a keyboard in front of you guys to prove him wrong and make him the troll that you say he is. Dude has juice, that's for sure.

slugboy

Staff member

Math 1712 (Survey of Calculus) still has “Techniques of differentiation, integration, application of integration to probability and statistics, multidimensional calculus.” It’s not as deep as 1552, but it’s a lot deeper than most B schools require. Some of the programs require Math 1552.

The real issue is demonizing Math and Science. Either, when taught correctly, can be fun for just about anyone to learn.

In the past, we used them as weed out courses. That’s a thing of the past, though.

There’s no need for an either the course is a fake or it’s impossible for a player to pass false choice here.

FYI, plenty of people get academic probation at Directional U in the first semester too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It is not a stupid argument. Certain people just want to turn a blind eye to the structural limitations at Tech. Hell, I was a National Merit Scholar, graduated near the top of my class in H.S., and struggled mightily at Tech. I would not have been academically eligible to play sports most of my time at Tech.....and that was without having to take time for practice etc.
I have heard enough similar stories to take your comments very seriously. I wish we could convince some people on this site that recruiting for Tech is a challenge at best and then quit talking about it so that we quit giving more freaking ammunition to the people negatively recruiting against Tech.

Beyond that we need shrewd psychology when recruiting. Some recruits will respond to a challenge and being asked to prove whether or not they are tough enough for the task. Others will need some handholding and being told that they are joining a family with a large support structure.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I would again remind everyone that if you find a post or member who appears to be trolling to please report that post to the mods. It is best not to engage as it only further derails threads.

Milwaukee

Banned
I would again remind everyone that if you find a post or member who appears to be trolling to please report that post to the mods. It is best not to engage as it only further derails threads.

Whoa hold up. You just removed his posts because people didn't like them, you realize that right? If anyone thinks he's a troll and he's lying they have a keyboard just like he does to prove him wrong.

Bush league move.