Good TV Shows?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Rats. I won't pay for HBO....back to finding a replacement since I just finished Mindhunter last night....

Season 2?

I'm curious to see how they treat the BTK stuff going forward, considering he wasn't caught any time soon w.r.t. the timeframe of the show. Also, it was really interesting to see how they presented the child murders considering I was a black kid in Atlanta during that timeframe. It was actually a decent presentation of the "community" reactions and feelings. No one thinks they got the guy(s).

Eta. I'm curious. Before watching Watchmen, were any of y'all familiar with the Tulsa stuff?

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Season 2?

I'm curious to see how they treat the BTK stuff going forward, considering he wasn't caught any time soon w.r.t. the timeframe of the show. Also, it was really interesting to see how they presented the child murders considering I was a black kid in Atlanta during that timeframe. It was actually a decent presentation of the "community" reactions and feelings. No one thinks they got the guy(s).

Eta. I'm curious. Before watching Watchmen, were any of y'all familiar with the Tulsa stuff?

I knew about it, but not nearly the extent and how bad it was, especially law enforcement's involvement.

Definitely made me go back and read more up on the subject.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Season 2?

Yes, Season 2.....I thought they represented very well (too well?) the feelings in the black community that it had to be white guys doing the killings. The final episode ended on that note, with the mothers of the dead kids venting about the fact that they felt their children's cases were going to be dropped (as they were). It did NOT note that the murders stopped after Williams was arrested, which is a factoid that seemed relevant to me....

The BTK stuff...that was the stuff they showed in the beginning of each episode, right? That had me confused....

herb

Helluva Engineer
Season 2 of Jack Ryan just came out last week. I watched the first episode last night, not bad.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Yes, Season 2.....I thought they represented very well (too well?) the feelings in the black community that it had to be white guys doing the killings. The final episode ended on that note, with the mothers of the dead kids venting about the fact that they felt their children's cases were going to be dropped (as they were). It did NOT note that the murders stopped after Williams was arrested, which is a factoid that seemed relevant to me....

The BTK stuff...that was the stuff they showed in the beginning of each episode, right? That had me confused....

Yes, the vignettes were of BTK.

And it wasn't necessarily that a 'white man' had to be the killer. It was that they got a killer but no one knows if he was the only killer.

And whether or not the killing stopped is debatable. The fact that the attention to it stopped is not debatable.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
And it wasn't necessarily that a 'white man' had to be the killer. It was that they got a killer but no one knows if he was the only killer.

And whether or not the killing stopped is debatable. The fact that the attention to it stopped is not debatable.

Ah, the show definitely played the "white man" angle, pretty strongly. The attention definitely stopped. I was going by Wikipedia (my bad, I guess) that the killings stopped.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Season 2?

I had no idea about Tulsa until it was portrayed on Watchmen.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I've studied black history for years but even I didn't know about it until fairly recently.
You have me curious....and since I don't have HBO, I don't know what ya'll are talking about...give me a clue so I can google it myself....please?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
You have me curious....and since I don't have HBO, I don't know what ya'll are talking about...give me a clue so I can google it myself....please?

https://www.history.com/topics/roaring-twenties/tulsa-race-massacre

Google Tulsa 1921

Long story short, there was a prosperous black community in the Tulsa area. I read that it drew the ire of the local white supremacists for obvious reasons.

In 1921, a young black guy was arrested related to an incident with a white female in an elevator.

Rumors swirled, the klan/white community decided to lynch him, the black community tried to protect him since no one knew what actually happened (if anything happened at all), all heyul broke loose, the black community was decimated, never returned.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
https://www.history.com/topics/roaring-twenties/tulsa-race-massacre

Google Tulsa 1921

Long story short, there was a prosperous black community in the Tulsa area. I read that it drew the ire of the local white supremacists for obvious reasons.

In 1921, a young black guy was arrested related to an incident with a white female in an elevator.

Rumors swirled, the klan/white community decided to lynch him, the black community tried to protect him since no one knew what actually happened (if anything happened at all), all heyul broke loose, the black community was decimated, never returned.
Wow! Thanks for the link and info.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Caught episode 1 of Dublin Murders on Starz.

Based on some books that're supposed to be pretty good.

herb

Helluva Engineer
Caught episode 1 of Dublin Murders on Starz.

Based on some books that're supposed to be pretty good.

What did you think? I saw it on but haven’t watched yet?

Finished season 2 of Jack Ryan. Good, not great. But enjoyable

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
What did you think? I saw it on but haven’t watched yet?

Finished season 2 of Jack Ryan. Good, not great. But enjoyable

I liked it. Probably should've started it a couple episodes in though so I can watch a couple eps at a time. It's obviously gonna have some kind of twist at the end.

I figured I could wait on Jack Ryan. I found season 1 good, not great. Entertaining watch but not much more than that.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Anyone tried Disney +? Mandelorian review?

The first episode was good, but they only have the one released right now. It definitely makes me want to watch the next one.

Watched both episodes so far. Both have been really good.

Also watched some youtube clips that advised that it's set 5 years after Return of the Jedi, which is helpful to know.