Good TV Shows?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have 7 episodes each if Legion, Succession, and Preacher on my DVR.

I think I have over 10 episodes of The Gifted.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Seems the last couple posts are trying to morph the OP's beautiful thread into a 'shows I don't watch' session.

In what can only be called a Herculean effort to re-rail this thing, I'll ask ... anybody watch Chernobyl on HBO?

Caught the first episode and I'm in. I've always been curious about the disaster so it piqued my interest fairly easily.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Handmaids Tale is that rare combo of believable but alarming plot, good characterization, consistent artistic tone and excellent photography. I confess I was skeptical at first but I have been totally sucked in to this dystopian future.

Also, it may not be for everyone, but I love Man In The Highcastle. Mixes Axis power politics with string theory.

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
Seems the last couple posts are trying to morph the OP's beautiful thread into a 'shows I don't watch' session.

In what can only be called a Herculean effort to re-rail this thing, I'll ask ... anybody watch Chernobyl on HBO?

Caught the first episode and I'm in. I've always been curious about the disaster so it piqued my interest fairly easily.
I watched Chernobyl, it only gets better.

To a previous posters, Succession was an excellent show.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck

I saw the first episode and it's great. Definitely plan on watching the rest but I have to be in a specific mood to watch it and see some of the more grotesque effects of radiation.

On the lighter end of things I've watched I Think You Should Leave on Netflix a few times now and it's one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time. But fair warning...it gets real weird. It's just a bunch of sketches so there's no real narrative through the show but definitely one of the most unique comedy shows I've seen in a while.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

I saw the first episode and it's great. Definitely plan on watching the rest but I have to be in a specific mood to watch it and see some of the more grotesque effects of radiation.

Thanks. I figured it's something you gotta be in the mood to watch. Interesting to see some parallels in the whole 'Russian society/culture' thing compared to how it was portrayed in the Americans.

And I'm all in for some grotesque radiation stuff.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer

My wife has been watching it, and says it is a good story, although they play fast and loose with the physics. She would know—she is a medical physicist.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Watched all of Fleabag today and really enjoyed it. It's pretty dark & twisted and full of tough family conflicts though, if that's not your thing.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

To a previous posters, Succession was an excellent show.

Thats a good call. I really liked Succession. Brian Cox is one of my favorites

I also have S2 of Preacher on BR sitting in my bookshelf for about a year and havent watched it yet. I did like S1

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
My wife has been watching it, and says it is a good story, although they play fast and loose with the physics. She would know—she is a medical physicist.

Tell your wife kg says she's a nerd and she should stop nitpicking TV "science", but she's got good taste in tv shows ... and husbands?

Seriously though, I'm through 4 episodes and this is an intriguing watch. "Biorobots", Russia? Really? It's a wonder they still even have a country and they haven't killed the rest of us.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Tell your wife kg says she's a nerd and she should stop nitpicking TV "science", but she's got good taste in tv shows ... and husbands?

Seriously though, I'm through 4 episodes and this is an intriguing watch. "Biorobots", Russia? Really? It's a wonder they still even have a country and they haven't killed the rest of us.
Between my wife and I, I am by far the bigger nerd, so I ain’t telling her nothin on your behalf.

She did say that the nuclear physics itself was spot-on; it’s just that the depictions of radiation exposure symptoms were hokey. I can get why they might try to make that aspect visually spookier. The truly scary stuff about high-dose radiation exposure is what it does to your insides—how do you show that on TV?

Now that you mention it, though, my wife does have amazingly good taste in husbands...and she’s pretty good at picking TV shows (although I’m not fond of her BBC historical soap operas).

I just happened upon this thread today, so I don't know what all has been discussed and don't have time right now to read back through it (hopefully later). I am a total nerd, watching many of The CW shows, plus Preacher and the two Walking Dead series. But the series I have most enjoyed lately was the PBS several-week-long presentation of "Les Miserables". Having read all but the final 100 pages of the novel several years ago (I just ultimately wore out trying to finish it), it was not only a very enjoyable series, it told me how the novel ends.....LOL

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Between my wife and I, I am by far the bigger nerd, so I ain’t telling her nothin on your behalf.

She did say that the nuclear physics itself was spot-on; it’s just that the depictions of radiation exposure symptoms were hokey. I can get why they might try to make that aspect visually spookier. The truly scary stuff about high-dose radiation exposure is what it does to your insides—how do you show that on TV?

Now that you mention it, though, my wife does have amazingly good taste in husbands...and she’s pretty good at picking TV shows (although I’m not fond of her BBC historical soap operas).

Ok, now I need you to have her describe what actually happens.

I'm oddly fascinated by that piece of it, especially how/why the fireman's wife's baby absorbed the radiation while leaving the wife unharmed.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I just happened upon this thread today, so I don't know what all has been discussed and don't have time right now to read back through it (hopefully later). I am a total nerd, watching many of The CW shows, plus Preacher and the two Walking Dead series. But the series I have most enjoyed lately was the PBS several-week-long presentation of "Les Miserables". Having read all but the final 100 pages of the novel several years ago (I just ultimately wore out trying to finish it), it was not only a very enjoyable series, it told me how the novel ends.....LOL

Supersize - are you a comic book fan, by any chance?

Not sure if I've said this previously, but everyone should watch Sherlock starring Benedict Cumberbatch & Martin Freeman. It's fantastic.

Not sure if I've said this previously, but everyone should watch Sherlock starring Benedict Cumberbatch & Martin Freeman. It's fantastic.
No, I am not a comic book fan now, but I have a pretty large collection of comics (mostly the funny kind) from the 50s. Why did you ask that anyway? I have a few old "Classics Illustrated" comics, but I don't think I have "Les Miserables", but I haven't checked through my collection in several years.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer

If you are a serious Sherlock Holmes fan, Benedict Cumberbatch is good, but the series featuring Jeremy Brett set the bar so high no one else has ever even come close.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Ok, now I need you to have her describe what actually happens.

I'm oddly fascinated by that piece of it, especially how/why the fireman's wife's baby absorbed the radiation while leaving the wife unharmed.
Hah! We were discussing exactly that scene a little while ago, when I told her I had immortalized her scientific acumen here on GTSwarm. (She’s a member, too—@YJAlleyCat—so I have the best of all worlds with my wife: science nerd, sci-fi fan, and lifetime GT fan all in one!). Anyway, while we’re were talking about the show, she brought up exactly that pregnant woman scene as an example of bad radiation-biology science.

That being said, she also commented that in trial scenes near the end, they did a very good job of portraying the basic reactor safety science in a way that would make sense to an average person.