Going on the Record

How many games does Tech win next season?

• 0-3

• 7+

Results are only viewable after voting.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Some are reticent about placing their head on a solid block when, standing nearby, a man is holding a very sharp ax.
It's also a way of having plausible deniability if you never take a stand. To quote Johnnie Cochran: "If you won't commit, you're full of ****". Man up I say to those weak of knees. Go on the record.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
i think one of the things collins will regret is not aggressively pursuing a transfer QB year 1/2 that could start. sims i think has great potential but was thrust into the spotlight too early. while that may have been the recruiting pitch that convinced him to join i think he needed some time on the bench for at least a year.

up until this point he has had no one even in the same stratosphere of athlete so while benching him may have proved a point and satisfied some angry fans in different games like syracuse his freshman year, it hurt the team so much. now gibson looks like a guy who can at least look competent (although his stats and production at akron were underwhelming) and pyron was highly touted coming out of high school. we can afford to bench sims in a game and get actual real production unlike whatever you call last year while he was out injured
I write this with no malice, just a sad prediction. With the OL we have currently, the risk of our starting QB getting hurt is high, IMO. Especially a starting QB that's default
is almost always a scramble and run, if his first option is not open. With a new ( hopefully improved) offensive scheme, I will take a "steady" , overall less talented perhaps, QB that will be more likely to execute the play/scheme than take off running at the first chance.

JacketFan137

Banned
I write this with no malice, just a sad prediction. With the OL we have currently, the risk of our starting QB getting hurt is high, IMO. Especially a starting QB that's default
is almost always a scramble and run, if his first option is not open. With a new ( hopefully improved) offensive scheme, I will take a "steady" , overall less talented perhaps, QB that will be more likely to execute the play/scheme than take off running at the first chance.
not sure i follow the logic here. sims legs were one of the only top end weapons we had in our offense. if anything he didn’t run enough and we need to find a way to make his legs a bigger part of the gameplan week to week.

i would also say if a core part of your offensive scheme in college is getting to the second and third read you have utterly failed as an OC. most of our offense is going to be quick reads and RPO concepts. we should not be doing 7 step drops with massive progressions cause we likely don’t have the personnel on the online

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
not sure i follow the logic here. sims legs were one of the only top end weapons we had in our offense. if anything he didn’t run enough and we need to find a way to make his legs a bigger part of the gameplan week to week.

i would also say if a core part of your offensive scheme in college is getting to the second and third read you have utterly failed as an OC. most of our offense is going to be quick reads and RPO concepts. we should not be doing 7 step drops with massive progressions cause we likely don’t have the personnel on the online
Well, IMO if Sims has more running yardage than any RB , we will not improve our W-L record. Just my 2 cents. I have not seen any/much indication that Sims is a "quick read" type of QB. The more he runs , the higher likelyhood he gets hurt. That is my logic.

JacketFan137

Banned
Well, IMO if Sims has more running yardage than any RB , we will not improve our W-L record. Just my 2 cents. I have not seen any/much indication that Sims is a "quick read" type of QB. That is my logic.
that’s coachable thankfully. i think our scheme last year was all over the place and we didn’t lean into strengths. watching us go under center on short yardage was absolutely ridiculous and should have gotten patenaude fired immediately lol

sims actually did show he was a quick read qb in the games he got to go hurry up. something long will use that may help us a lot to handle some of the better pass rushes we face

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
A strong back up QB is present that is pushing for starts...there is no time for Sims to work through mistakes, putting the defense in an untenible position. If your job (CGC's) is in the balance...I assume if Sims turns the ball over recklessly, ( as been his trend) he will get the hook and tech goes with the transfer...we will see early if a change in approach is recognized as is warranted or we play out the season and clear house. Hope for the best, plan for the worst ...
Sorry, but Collins fate was sealed last season. He is a lame duck. Long is the backup plan to be the bridge to the next coach if it isn’t him. If we fired Gailey for averaging 7 there is no way Collins is the coach in 2 years from now unless we get to 9plus wins. And if we do that means Long is the savior and will replace Collins. Collins is toast no matter what. You can’t treat your fanbase like he has and stay.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
There’s also the “new coaches can turn this around and we can win 7” possibility versus the “we keep winning 3 with this head coach” possibility, which leads to some people picking the “I’ll average and pick 5” choice. The season could go in different directions, so if you guessed wrong or even hedge your bets, you look bad when one of the extreme cases happens.
You never look bad picking your team to win. You only look bad picking your team to lose and they don't. Actually, you only look bad when you crap on your team.

JacketFan137

Banned
Sorry, but Collins fate was sealed last season. He is a lame duck. Long is the backup plan to be the bridge to the next coach if it isn’t him. If we fired Gailey for averaging 7 there is no way Collins is the coach in 2 years from now unless we get to 9plus wins. And if we do that means Long is the savior and will replace Collins. Collins is toast no matter what. You can’t treat your fanbase like he has and stay.
i don’t really expect collins to stay for longer but acting like it’s such a sure thing that he’s fired seems like you’re jumping the gun way too fast. a bowl game and he probably stays unless a can’t miss guy that is realistic to grab becomes available

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I totally disagree. We don't need to get to 9+ wins and Collins isn't a lame duck. If he shows steady improvement, that only means he chose poorly with assistant coaches when he came in. Why he chose those particular coaches is open to speculation, but a lot of it had to do with money and budgets. I think there is a very small minority of fans that will remain butt-hurt if Collins starts winning.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We don't need steady at QB. We need a playmaker. We don't have the talent around the QB spot to go otherwise
CGC is all in with Sims.
and he might be right.

Sims could start seeing the future and gain confidence every game. Last year he made no one play above their ability.

JacketFan137

Banned
We don't need steady at QB. We need a playmaker. We don't have the talent around the QB spot to go otherwise
exactly this. we have to get our best athletes on the field. big plays win games not checkdowns and passes at the LOS. sims is the only qb on the roster that can do that right now. maybe pyron in the future

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
exactly this. we have to get our best athletes on the field. big plays win games not checkdowns and passes at the LOS. sims is the only qb on the roster that can do that right now. maybe pyron in the future
I agree as well. We saw what a steady qb could do with yates and while it wasn't terrible, it wouldn't win games

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Believe when I say watch and see…. We didn’t turn down Oklahoma Pitt Oklahoma state ect. to coming here and play around….
Love this optimism and may I say I share it. We are going to make some noise, ladies and boys.

404Takeover is happening. Also on an unrelenting note - mixing 60% OF1920 with 40% OF1910 makes a fine, fine blend of two of my favorite bourbons.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
*Steps to the 🎙 *
*Taps it a few times, coughs and clears his throat*

Gary Vaynerchuk Hello GIF by GaryVee

I went 7+ and it’s not just gold colored glasses. Here we go, take a peek inside my optimism:

Week 1, feels like Weak 1: we get crushed. Clemson will be out for blood after a long offseason being told how poorly they performed last year. They’re bouncing at the gates to grab a w and we are the unfortunate sobs who play them.

Week 2, Mount the Catamounts: same but in reverse we let out the aggression from knowing we are a better team than last year and play with a sense of urgency. We show those cats from Western Carolina that dry rubbed pork > mustard BBQ and stomp the little guys. No longer shall we be beaten by the sisters of the poor teams. So hear me, we shan’t do that again. Also the OL situation starts to come together as the transfers gel (hopefully we will have picked up some more help in the portal but they missed the spring so are coming up to speed).

Week 3, us versus the rebellion: I believe we have to win this game to have a solid back half of the schedule. We grow up this week and beat the rebels, staving off our own rebelling fans and start to turn the corner. The team is bought in and ready to roll now, and since we are being optimistic we avoid the injury bug that has been lurking around for what feels like forever based on the changes in our conditioning staff.

Week 4, the Knights bend a knee: with some wind in our sails the guys rally to remember it’s go time. We cruise into the beach scene down south and remind those knights, they serve at the pleasure - and it pleasures us to snag another pelt. We leave with a win and play some lights out defense. I at this point will be privately snickering at @kg01 treating all the poor souls who have up till now lost hope to some Counting Crows ice cream, brought to you by Mayyfield’s™

Week 5, the Pitts: Regrettably just as poor Icarus crashed into the sea of despair by flying to far up; we see a road game at Pittsburg and lose this one. (I think it’s possible we win here and lose the following week with the same reason, but liked the pitts moniker so pit the L here).

Week 6, Split with Pitt the devils in the detail: as mentioned above we split these two games. I don’t think we have the ability to carry week to week to week consistency quite yet. Also until Chip and Brent get the hardnosed attitude more completely established we are too easily corrupted by the unbridled positivity of CGC so we will lose one or the other from lack of focus and reading too much of our own positive press.

Week 7, comes at a great time physically and mentally. We regroup and come out swinging.
Justin Timberlake Jt GIF by *NSYNC

Week 8, the horror of The Who’s:
Charlottesville is the first city I think of that I love being in every day save the ones we have a gameday during. We are just so unlucky up there, thankfully we get them at our house and they’re figuring out their new Elliott coaching situation so we beat them in a close one.

Week 9, ATL loses its tomahawk: we come in 5-2, but we leave 5-3 as a night game is too much pressure to overcome from the tribe.

Week 10, road woes continue: never like the odds of playing up at their house. We lose this one in a closeish game. Fans start getting restless again - someone repeats the “good teams don’t lose two in a row trope” and we hit the 10K mark on the bourbon thread about CGC.

Week 11, no place like home: we beat Miami and stop the skid. @kg01 has been blocked by the 8-10 blowhards on here that only kvetch about the program but can’t take the heat from our guy’s kitchen and there is some hilarity between people missing posts because of the blocked content. I start quoting @kg01 in an unholy alliance to make sure the haters have to read his katana like sharp wit and get the both of us put in the SinBin*.
no regrets GIF

*Just kidding mods, no posters were injured during the creation of this hypothetical- plus if we are 6-4 in the way I have described at this points wouldn’t I have enough time traveler cred to be unbannable? Like don’t mess with that MidtownJacketMagic™

Week 12, UNCheat gets taken to the woodshed: The coaches have our guys playing to their potential and there is talk of JS10 being a darkhorse Heisman candidate next year. Also someone tweets @Suddes about bad Mojo for leaving us and the board has an illogical and totally odd minibattle where the malcontents who have been silenced start throwing rocks at our staff for not having mad changes sooner. Because some of us just can’t be happy.

Week 13+, shudder, champagne shower and introspection: Jowja beats us but not nearly as badly as this past season. They make it a point to do a ceremony at the half honoring their previous natty. I drink a good half bottle of an even better bottle of bourbon and console the chat with a reminder we are at 7-5, going to a sweet bowl game (which we go on to win and I get to finish that good bottle under happier circumstances) to finish the season in spectacular form at 8-5 and having made positive signs across the board.

Recruiting picks up, donors have formed NIL slush funds and we start to open the next brave chapter of Georgia Tech Football.

Go jackets!

Boom Mic Drop GIF
Just saying.. the NIL slush fund is happening. Looks like I’m going to be 10/10 in this prediction thread.